File Sharing Problems

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Blaine Hamrick, Jul 29, 2005.

  1. Let me begin by thanking anyone who can shed any light at all on my
    networking problem. I have a typical wireless network with the Linksys
    WRT54G as the gateway/router. I'm able to have nice internet connections on
    all computers, and can even share some files, but the majority will not
    share. For example: I have two folders on each computer named "schematics",
    and they are shared with read and write privileges. The folder on the remote
    computer contains several files, but for the sake of the discussion one is
    named bilevel.gif and the other bmeter1.gif. I can copy the first file to
    the remote computer, but the second throws an error message stating, "Cannot
    copy bmeter1: Access is denied. Make sure disk is not full or
    write-protected and that the file is not currently in use." The disk is far
    from full and not write-protected, nor is the file in use.

    I do not believe that the wireless equipment is at fault, as some files will
    transfer, and others will not. The same thing happens on a Windows Me
    computer sometimes connected to the computer, but let's not complicate
    things now. I have legal copies of Windows XP Professional with SP1a and all
    later patches applied. I do not use SP2, as it is not compatible with the
    motherboard on this P3 system.

    Any input appreciated. Thank you!
    --
    Blaine Hamrick, AL7HH
    Irving, Texas 444.800 MHz, 110.9 Hz

    http://home1.gte.net/hamrick

    Blaine Hamrick, Jul 29, 2005

  2. I eagerly await the response to this thread as I have a very similiar
    problem. I too have a wireless network with the WRT54G router (although I
    don't think its a router problem either). My remote computer is running XP
    Pro sp2 and my other computer is XP Home sp2, both access the internet fine
    and I print without difficulties using both computers.

    The desktop has two hard drives, one is in FAT32 format, the other is NTFS.
    File sharing is enabled equally on both (I think). I am able to file share
    with the remote computer any files on the FAT32 hard drive 100% of the time;
    however, if I try to copy any files to the remote computer from the NFTS hard
    drive on the desktop, I get the same message: ...Access is denied. Make sure
    disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use
    .... 100% of the time. I browse the directory tree of the desktop without any
    difficulty just can't copy to / write to the remote computer.

    Interestingly, I am unable to copy from the desktop's NFTS harddrive to the
    desktop's FAT32 harddrive (using the remote computer's Explorer) without the
    same error message above.

    I am able to access and copy from the remote computer (an NFTS format) to
    the desktop no problem however.

    Thanks,

    (Sorry wasn't a help for you Blaine).

    Mark Ryser

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBSeXNlcg==?=, Aug 1, 2005