    gone through everysingle help i can short of calling linksys or sony for
    thier help. is there just a problem with wired computers file sharing with
    wireless computere?
    =?Utf-8?B?ZWFnbGVoZWFydA==?=, Feb 5, 2005

  2. There is no problem, it just takes a bit of manual labor to get everything
    up and running. Not everything is automated, as you might wish.

    First thing to do is disable all and any firewall software on both systems.
    Sometimes it takes a complete uninstall of third party firewalls, but not
    always.

    Second, if you have XP SP2 installed, run the Wireless Network Wizard, not
    to be comfussed with the Network Setup Wizard. They both can be found in
    controll panel. Do this on both computers.

    Third, make sure file and printer sharing has been enabled on both
    computers. This should be done automatically when running the above wizard,
    but best to check it anyways.
    Fourth, right click on My Computer, goto properties, goto the Computer Name
    Tab and make sure each computer is named differently and has joined the same
    workgroup, default is usually MSHOME.

    Fifth, If you are using the Windows XP Firewall enable it and goto the
    exceptions tab in the firewall window and make sure file and printer sharing
    has a check next to it. This will allow you to comunicate between your
    computers while using the XP Firewall. You might have to do some simular
    setup if using a third party firewall.

    Lastly, do a rebbot and everything should be working.

    Also are you using the connection utility that came with your wireless
    adapter or are you letting windows configure your wireless connection? I
    would suggest letting windows controll the connection and uninstalling the
    utility that came with the adapter.

    Hope this helps.......

    Robert Jacobs, Feb 5, 2005

  3. I found the same sort of problems setting up local file sharing. In the end
    I found
    that ftp (file transfer protocol) was generally easier to set up and
    ultimately more
    flexible. For example some paths are accessible with ftp when otherwise they
    are not.
    What do other people think? In the end i chose a simple server and client
    from here

    http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/

    hth

    philip ashley

    Philip Ashley, Feb 5, 2005
  4. Im generally not in favor of work arounds. More software to run is less
    resources. If its built in already, try and get it to work. Thats just me
    though. I know people that run third party applications when they already
    have a program that will do the same thing, if just configured properly.

    Robert Jacobs, Feb 5, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?ZWFnbGVoZWFydA==?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    I would suggest reading the following page.
    Read first the whole page (I.e. resist the urge to click on any of the
    links).
    Once you understand the general scope start to investigate the links that
    concern your specific setting.
    Link to: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Feb 7, 2005