    All 2 messages in topic - view as tree
    From: Blaine Hamrick - view profile
    Date: Thurs, Jul 28 2005 8:25 pm
    Email: "Blaine Hamrick" <>
    Groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless
    Not yet ratedRating:
    show options

    | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

    Let me begin by thanking anyone who can shed any light at all on my
    networking problem. I have a typical wireless network with the Linksys
    WRT54G as the gateway/router. I'm able to have nice internet
    connections on
    all computers, and can even share some files, but the majority will not

    share. For example: I have two folders on each computer named
    "schematics",
    and they are shared with read and write privileges. The folder on the
    remote
    computer contains several files, but for the sake of the discussion one
    is
    named bilevel.gif and the other bmeter1.gif. I can copy the first file
    the remote computer, but the second throws an error message stating,
    "Cannot
    copy bmeter1: Access is denied. Make sure disk is not full or
    write-protected and that the file is not currently in use." The disk is
    far
    from full and not write-protected, nor is the file in use.

    I do not believe that the wireless equipment is at fault, as some files
    will
    transfer, and others will not. The same thing happens on a Windows Me
    computer sometimes connected to the computer, but let's not complicate
    things now. I have legal copies of Windows XP Professional with SP1a
    and all
    later patches applied. I do not use SP2, as it is not compatible with
    the
    motherboard on this P3 system.

    Any input appreciated. Thank you!
    --
    Blaine Hamrick, AL7HH
    Irving, Texas 444.800 MHz, 110.9 Hz

    http://home1.gte.net/hamrick

    Rate this post: Text for clearing space

    From: Mark Ryser - view profile
    Date: Sun, Jul 31 2005 7:48 pm
    Email: "Mark Ryser" <Mark >
    Groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless
    Not yet ratedRating:
    show options

    | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

    I eagerly await the response to this thread as I have a very similiar
    problem. I too have a wireless network with the WRT54G router
    (although I
    don't think its a router problem either). My remote computer is
    running XP
    Pro sp2 and my other computer is XP Home sp2, both access the internet
    fine
    and I print without difficulties using both computers.

    The desktop has two hard drives, one is in FAT32 format, the other is
    NTFS.
    File sharing is enabled equally on both (I think). I am able to file
    share
    with the remote computer any files on the FAT32 hard drive 100% of the
    time;
    however, if I try to copy any files to the remote computer from the
    NFTS hard
    drive on the desktop, I get the same message: ...Access is denied.
    Make sure
    disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently
    in use
    .... 100% of the time. I browse the directory tree of the desktop
    without any
    difficulty just can't copy to / write to the remote computer.

    Interestingly, I am unable to copy from the desktop's NFTS harddrive to
    the
    desktop's FAT32 harddrive (using the remote computer's Explorer)
    without the
    same error message above.

    I am able to access and copy from the remote computer (an NFTS format)
    the desktop no problem however.

    Thanks,

    (Sorry wasn't a help for you Blaine).

    Mark Ryser

    "Blaine Hamrick" wrote:
    > Let me begin by thanking anyone who can shed any light at all on my
    > networking problem. I have a typical wireless network with the Linksys
    > WRT54G as the gateway/router. I'm able to have nice internet connections on
    > all computers, and can even share some files, but the majority will not
    > share. For example: I have two folders on each computer named "schematics",
    > and they are shared with read and write privileges. The folder on the remote
    > computer contains several files, but for the sake of the discussion one is
    > named bilevel.gif and the other bmeter1.gif. I can copy the first file to
    > the remote computer, but the second throws an error message stating, "Cannot
    > copy bmeter1: Access is denied. Make sure disk is not full or
    > write-protected and that the file is not currently in use." The disk is far
    > from full and not write-protected, nor is the file in use.

    > I do not believe that the wireless equipment is at fault, as some files will
    > transfer, and others will not. The same thing happens on a Windows Me
    > computer sometimes connected to the computer, but let's not complicate
    > things now. I have legal copies of Windows XP Professional with SP1a and all
    > later patches applied. I do not use SP2, as it is not compatible with the
    > motherboard on this P3 system.

    > Any input appreciated. Thank you!
    > --
    > Blaine Hamrick, AL7HH