    any sugestions?

    ta,
    - Kip
    Kippla, Sep 28, 2004

  2. In article <cjavqc$i40$> in nz.comp on Tue, 28 Sep 2004
    18:19:54 +1200, Kippla <> says...
    > Hey,
    >
    > I'm currently using XP pro and am having trouble with file sharing. Other
    > computers on the network will see the folder I'm sharing, but when you try
    > to open it it says it is not accessible. However, my 'shared documents'
    > folder shares stuff just fine. I've looked under their sharing and security
    > settings and its just the same and everything looks right like permissions
    > etc, just no other shared folders will show their stuff. I've turned off the
    > firewall, still no luck. I'm stumped.

    Are all machines runing XP Pro?

    Do the other users have a user account on your XP Pro machine?
    Patrick Dunford, Sep 28, 2004

  3. Kippla

    Kippla Guest

    "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    > In article <cjavqc$i40$> in nz.comp on Tue, 28 Sep 2004
    > 18:19:54 +1200, Kippla <> says...
    >> Hey,
    >>
    >> I'm currently using XP pro and am having trouble with file sharing. Other
    >> computers on the network will see the folder I'm sharing, but when you
    >> try
    >> to open it it says it is not accessible. However, my 'shared documents'
    >> folder shares stuff just fine. I've looked under their sharing and
    >> security
    >> settings and its just the same and everything looks right like
    >> permissions
    >> etc, just no other shared folders will show their stuff. I've turned off
    >> the
    >> firewall, still no luck. I'm stumped.

    > Are all machines runing XP Pro?
    >
    > Do the other users have a user account on your XP Pro machine?

    One is 98, one is pro. So they need a user account? Sorry I'm thick with
    this. I went to user accounts and there's the guest one on, I also made one
    with the name of the other computer I'm trying to share with, but still no
    good. I'm probably doing it wrong, I didn't see any settings or anything
    relating the the account and the network?

    - Kip
    Kippla, Sep 29, 2004
  4. Kippla

    EMB Guest

    Kippla wrote:

    > One is 98, one is pro. So they need a user account? Sorry I'm thick with
    > this. I went to user accounts and there's the guest one on, I also made one
    > with the name of the other computer I'm trying to share with, but still no
    > good. I'm probably doing it wrong, I didn't see any settings or anything
    > relating the the account and the network?

    AFAIK you need to set up a login name & password on the 98 machine, then
    set up an account with the same name & password on the XP box. Then you
    have to make the disk/folder/whatever you want to access into a shared
    resource and assign appropriate permissions.

    --
    EMB
    change two to the number to reply
    EMB, Sep 29, 2004
  5. In article <lcn6d.7751$> in nz.comp on Wed, 29
    Sep 2004 12:19:23 +1200, Kippla <> says...

    > "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <cjavqc$i40$> in nz.comp on Tue, 28 Sep 2004
    > > 18:19:54 +1200, Kippla <> says...
    > >> Hey,
    > >>
    > >> I'm currently using XP pro and am having trouble with file sharing. Other
    > >> computers on the network will see the folder I'm sharing, but when you
    > >> try
    > >> to open it it says it is not accessible. However, my 'shared documents'
    > >> folder shares stuff just fine. I've looked under their sharing and
    > >> security
    > >> settings and its just the same and everything looks right like
    > >> permissions
    > >> etc, just no other shared folders will show their stuff. I've turned off
    > >> the
    > >> firewall, still no luck. I'm stumped.

    > > Are all machines runing XP Pro?
    > >
    > > Do the other users have a user account on your XP Pro machine?

    > One is 98, one is pro. So they need a user account? Sorry I'm thick with
    > this. I went to user accounts and there's the guest one on, I also made one
    > with the name of the other computer I'm trying to share with, but still no
    > good. I'm probably doing it wrong, I didn't see any settings or anything
    > relating the the account and the network?

    XP Pro provides user level permissions. When you share a file/folder you
    either share it to Everyone, or to a user account by name. If you share
    it to a user account, any other machine that wants access has to pass the
    username and password specified in that user account.

    For 98 this should be whatever username and password they specified in
    the Microsoft Client for networks logon dialog box.
    Patrick Dunford, Sep 29, 2004
  6. In article <cjcvu1$gtg$> in nz.comp on Wed, 29 Sep 2004
    12:37:26 +1200, EMB <> says...
    > Kippla wrote:
    >
    > > One is 98, one is pro. So they need a user account? Sorry I'm thick with
    > > this. I went to user accounts and there's the guest one on, I also made one
    > > with the name of the other computer I'm trying to share with, but still no
    > > good. I'm probably doing it wrong, I didn't see any settings or anything
    > > relating the the account and the network?

    > AFAIK you need to set up a login name & password on the 98 machine, then
    > set up an account with the same name & password on the XP box. Then you
    > have to make the disk/folder/whatever you want to access into a shared
    > resource and assign appropriate permissions.

    Yes, unless you turn on Simple File Sharing.
    Patrick Dunford, Sep 29, 2004
  7. Kippla

    > In article <lcn6d.7751$> in nz.comp on Wed, 29
    > Sep 2004 12:19:23 +1200, Kippla <> says...
    >>
    >> "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    >> > In article <cjavqc$i40$> in nz.comp on Tue, 28 Sep
    >> > 2004
    >> > 18:19:54 +1200, Kippla <> says...

    >> > Are all machines runing XP Pro?
    >> >
    >> > Do the other users have a user account on your XP Pro machine?

    >> One is 98, one is pro. So they need a user account? Sorry I'm thick with
    >> this. I went to user accounts and there's the guest one on, I also made
    >> one
    >> with the name of the other computer I'm trying to share with, but still
    >> no
    >> good. I'm probably doing it wrong, I didn't see any settings or anything
    >> relating the the account and the network?

    > XP Pro provides user level permissions. When you share a file/folder you
    > either share it to Everyone, or to a user account by name. If you share
    > it to a user account, any other machine that wants access has to pass the
    > username and password specified in that user account.
    >
    > For 98 this should be whatever username and password they specified in
    > the Microsoft Client for networks logon dialog box.

    Thanks, simple file sharing was turned off so I've turned it on and can now
    share stuff fine. Although, on the win98 machine, I can access the shares by
    going \\XPMACHINE\ in explorer, but the shares don't show up when going in
    to network neighbourhood. Any idea why that is?

    thanks again
    - Kip
    Kippla, Sep 29, 2004
  8. Kippla

    EMB Guest

    Kippla wrote:

    > Thanks, simple file sharing was turned off so I've turned it on and can now
    > share stuff fine. Although, on the win98 machine, I can access the shares by
    > going \\XPMACHINE\ in explorer, but the shares don't show up when going in
    > to network neighbourhood. Any idea why that is?

    You got a $ on the end of the share name? If so it makes them hidden.

    EMB, Sep 29, 2004
  9. On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:32:06 +1200, "Kippla" <> wrote:

    >Thanks, simple file sharing was turned off so I've turned it on and can now
    >share stuff fine. Although, on the win98 machine, I can access the shares by
    >going \\XPMACHINE\ in explorer, but the shares don't show up when going in
    >to network neighbourhood. Any idea why that is?

    Windows 98 doesn't automatically locate shares and put them inside "My
    Network Places" - instead it uses "Network Neighborhood" which is a
    tree containing all of the network. The "My Network Places" thing
    started happening in Windows Millennium, iirc. You can turn the
    behaviour OFF in XP by un-ticking "Automatically search for network
    folders and printers" in Folder Options, but I do not believe you can
    turn the behaviour ON in Windows98.

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand