File Sharing Problem (Linksys)

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Wayne, Dec 20, 2004.

  1. Wayne

    Wayne Guest

    Greetings,

    After a couple of days reading (and reading) I am more confused than when I
    began. So, I need help...

    I have two computers, running XP(sp2) Home.
    Computer A has 3 users (Wife, Son, and me)
    Linksys Router WRT54G (firmware up to date)
    No DSL or Cable modem
    File Sharing enabled under my account.
    Firewall turned off
    Internal router security WAP is up and running along with limited IP
    addressing.

    Computer B has 1 user (me)
    Linksys adapter WUSB54G
    File Sharing enabled
    Firewall turned off
    WAP security is up and running.

    I have limited services to only TCP/IP.

    The problem is that I can not see any other computers on the network. Until
    I turned off the firewall, I couldn't even see my local files that were
    shared. I know that the wireless connection is up and running. Everything in
    windows says it is, as well as the Linksys monitor program.

    What could I be doing wrong? Where have I not checked? I have gone to
    Microsoft and read many articles (with only partial help). I have read other
    threads with setup of command lines and other such things (with no help).
    The only thing that I have not done is setup accounts on my office computer
    for my wife and son, it just seems a waste. Plus, it seems illogical and a
    pain to the office setup.

    Any suggestions or help would be appreciated...

    thanks,
    Wayne
    Wayne, Dec 20, 2004

  2. Wayne

    /_\\/- Guest

    Defined the same Workgroup name for both computers?

    /_\\/-, Dec 20, 2004

  3. Wayne

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Dec 21, 2004
  4. http://www.careyholzman.com/xp/home/xphome-1.htm

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Dec 21, 2004
  5. Wayne

    mikeFNB Guest

    good site

    mike

    mikeFNB, Dec 21, 2004
  6. Thank you!

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Dec 21, 2004
  7. Wayne

    Wayne Guest

    THANKS...

    I followed both suggestions and it is NOW WORKING.

    I can not tell you have thankful I am...

    Merry Christmas
    Wayne, Dec 21, 2004
  8. That's great! Thanks for letting us know!

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Dec 21, 2004