    to find the other computers folders? And secondly is there anything else that
    i might need to do to my networl to get it to share files?
    Thanks
    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBK?=, Oct 2, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBK?=

    Pavel A. Guest

    Hi,

    Start with pinging each computer from another one.
    If pings pass, this may be a sharing issue - otherwise you're up
    to fixing the basic tcpip connectivity.

    Regards,
    --PA

    Pavel A., Oct 2, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBK?=

    Jim Guest

    "Michael J" <> wrote in message
    > Hi i currently have a wireless network set up like this.
    > Combined broadband modem and wireless router which is connected to:
    > A computer running vista home premium via ethernet cable
    > A computer running xp home edition via wireless
    > Both of these computers get an internet connection. I have tried file
    > sharing using clear names for the computers and workgroup but the
    > computers
    > do not seem to co-operate with each other. Is it because my computers
    > accounts don't have usernames and passwords?
    > Firstly once you have enable file sharing on both computers where do you
    > go
    > to find the other computers folders? And secondly is there anything else
    > that
    > i might need to do to my networl to get it to share files?
    > Thanks

    I understand from your post that you are using simple file sharing. I also
    see that you have setup folders for sharing.
    However, you must setup the folder mapping as well. Simple file sharing
    requires that the username is GUEST and nothing else.
    You setup the maping with the username GUEST and with no password.

    Refer to the websites of MVP Jack and MVP Chuck for instructions.

    In my case, I did not need to search for the shared folders because I
    enabled what I wished. That may be the crude way, but with only two
    computers, keeping track of shared folders is rather easy.

    Jim
    Jim, Oct 2, 2007
  4. Hi
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Basic XP -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 2, 2007
  5. Hi there. It turns out that the problem was right under my nose! I had forgot
    to configure my firewall for file sharing. I have fixed this problem and i am
    now sharing files and printers with ease. Sorry for wasting your time, but
    thanks anyway for replying to my post.
    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBK?=, Oct 2, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBK?=

    Pegleg Guest

    On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 21:40:40 -0400, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >Successful Sharing involves some general consideration in Network settings,
    >http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    >
    >As well as specific adjustment of each computer according to what it is
    >allowed to be shared.

    >Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    >http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/evaluate/vista_fp.mspx

    The first link below...Basic XP ...does not work.

    Pegleg, Jan 1, 2008