File sharing locks up my laptop

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Tony Marston, Jul 7, 2004.

  1. Tony Marston

    Tony Marston Guest

    I have a desktop and a laptop which are connected in a WiFi network. The
    configuration is as follows:

    Desktop:
    OS is XP Pro.
    ASUS motherboard with an ASUS 802.11b Network Adaptor which allows my
    desktop to act as a WiFi Access Point.
    Alcatel SpeedTouch USB modem giving broadband internet access.

    Laptop:
    OS is XP Pro.
    3COM OfficeConnect Wireless 11g PC Card.

    Norton Internet Security is installed on both devices. I have configured the
    Personal Firewall to include the IP addresses of the desktop/laptop in the
    list of trusted devices.

    The laptop is in the same room as the desktop, and the connection is
    described as "excellent".

    I can ping each device from the other, and I can access the internet from
    the laptop through the WiFi network.

    I have nominated various folders as being sharable on both devices. When I
    work on the laptop I can see these shared folders in "My Network Places". I
    can browse down several levels of subfolder, but if I try to copy a file
    from one device to the other the "copy" dialog starts up then within a few
    seconds the laptop freezes completely On the WiFi card the "link" light
    flashes but the "activity" light does nothing. The only way I can unfreeze
    it is to disconnect the WiFi card, but then the copy is aborted.

    Does anybody have any ideas? Is this a problem with the ASUS card, the 3COM
    card, Windows XP or some configuration setting?

    --
    Tony Marston

    http://www.tonymarston.net
    Tony Marston, Jul 7, 2004

  2. Tony Marston

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    Since your Modem is a USB and your wireless connection is Ad-Hoc the system
    might be "Quirky".

    You should consider buying a regular External Ethernet Modem and a Wireless
    Router and configure a more stable Network.

    However you system should be more functional than it even with the current
    setting.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Jul 7, 2004

  3. Tony Marston

    Tony Marston Guest

    The connection on the laptop is set to "infrastructure" (as advised by my
    documentation) not "ad hoc". Would this make a difference?

    --
    Tony Marston

    http://www.tonymarston.net

    Tony Marston, Jul 7, 2004
  4. Tony Marston

    Jack Guest

    Hi.

    Infrastructure is the Mode to be use when a Client Card (Laptop) connects to
    a Wireless Router or an Access Point. Since your connection is an Asus
    Client card to Laptop's Client card it should set to Ad-Hoc on both Wireless
    Drivers, and you should use Windows ICS to NAT the connection.

    Wireless Configuration Modes: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html

    Windows ICS: http://www.homenethelp.com/ics/ics-install-arch.asp

    Jack, Jul 7, 2004
  5. Tony Marston

    Tony Marston Guest

    If you look at my original posting you will see that my ASUS WiFi card
    (which fits into a special WiFi slot next to the PCI slots) allows my
    desktop to operate as a wireless Access Point. That is why the WiFi
    connection on my laptop is configured to run in Infrastructure mode, not Ad
    Hoc.

    I can get internet connection sharing to work, but file sharing locks up as
    soon as I attempt to copy a file from my desktop to my laptop. Is the fault
    with my hardware, my configuration, or within XP?

    Tony Marston

    Tony Marston, Jul 7, 2004