File Sharing IPC$ Problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?SmltIE1jQ29sbA==?=, Oct 24, 2004.

  1. This is a re-stating of a problem I posted previously, I hope this one is
    more clear

    I have two computers connected via an SMC wireless broadband router. A
    desktop computer with WindowsXP home edition (SR-1) and a laptop with W98SE.

    I have 3 user accounts on the XP machine. Two limited and 1 administror.

    Everythng connects up fine and I can share the laptop's files from the
    desktop computer.

    However, when I attempt to access shared folders on the dektop from the
    laptop, I get a dialogue box telling me that I must supply a password to
    make a connection to \\Desktop\IPC$.

    The help section in Windows describes IPC$ as follows: "A resource that
    shares the named pipes that are essential for communication between
    programs. You use IPC$ during remote administration of a computer and when
    you view a computer's shared resources. You cannot delete this resource"

    In any event, I cannot perform any actions in the Computer Management
    console other than refresh, so I appear to be stymied. I would really
    appreciate if someone could provide me with a solution to this dilema

    Thanks

    --
    Jim McColl
    =?Utf-8?B?SmltIE1jQ29sbA==?=, Oct 24, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SmltIE1jQ29sbA==?=

    Blair Guest

    Jim, did you try using the Administrator password for the XP machine. I had
    the same problem when I first started using W2k, way back when, and using
    the password I'd set up for this machine solved the problem. Hope this
    helps.

    Blair, Oct 24, 2004

  3. Blair - Thanks for the reply. I do not have a password assigned to any of the
    user accounts including the Administrator. If I go into the administrator
    account and select "Manage my Network Passwords", a box is displayed which
    contains blanks indicating, I believe that there are no stored passwords.

    =?Utf-8?B?SmltIE1jQ29sbA==?=, Oct 24, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?SmltIE1jQ29sbA==?=

    mike Guest

    ipc$ is the windows system share.
    create another share of the hardisk
    and give all access

    mike

    "Blair" <> wrote in message
    > Jim, did you try using the Administrator password for the XP machine. I

    had
    > the same problem when I first started using W2k, way back when, and using
    > the password I'd set up for this machine solved the problem. Hope this
    > helps.
    >

    > "Jim McColl" <> wrote in message
    > > This is a re-stating of a problem I posted previously, I hope this one

    is
    > > more clear
    > >
    > > I have two computers connected via an SMC wireless broadband router. A
    > > desktop computer with WindowsXP home edition (SR-1) and a laptop with

    > W98SE.
    > >
    > > I have 3 user accounts on the XP machine. Two limited and 1 administror.
    > >
    > > Everythng connects up fine and I can share the laptop's files from the
    > > desktop computer.
    > >
    > > However, when I attempt to access shared folders on the dektop from the
    > > laptop, I get a dialogue box telling me that I must supply a password

    > > make a connection to \\Desktop\IPC$.
    > >
    > > The help section in Windows describes IPC$ as follows: "A resource that
    > > shares the named pipes that are essential for communication between
    > > programs. You use IPC$ during remote administration of a computer and

    when
    > > you view a computer's shared resources. You cannot delete this resource"
    > >
    > > In any event, I cannot perform any actions in the Computer Management
    > > console other than refresh, so I appear to be stymied. I would really
    > > appreciate if someone could provide me with a solution to this dilema
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > > --
    > > Jim McColl

    ---
    mike, Oct 24, 2004
  5. =?Utf-8?B?SmltIE1jQ29sbA==?=

    mike Guest

    just go here & all will become clear

    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/win2k-ipc-error.asp

    mike

    "Jim McColl" <> wrote in message
    > Blair - Thanks for the reply. I do not have a password assigned to any of

    the
    > user accounts including the Administrator. If I go into the administrator
    > account and select "Manage my Network Passwords", a box is displayed which
    > contains blanks indicating, I believe that there are no stored passwords.
    >

    > "Jim McColl" wrote:
    >
    > > This is a re-stating of a problem I posted previously, I hope this one

    is
    > > more clear
    > >
    > > I have two computers connected via an SMC wireless broadband router. A
    > > desktop computer with WindowsXP home edition (SR-1) and a laptop with

    W98SE.

    > > I have 3 user accounts on the XP machine. Two limited and 1 administror.
    > >
    > > Everythng connects up fine and I can share the laptop's files from the
    > > desktop computer.
    > >
    > > However, when I attempt to access shared folders on the dektop from the
    > > laptop, I get a dialogue box telling me that I must supply a password

    > > make a connection to \\Desktop\IPC$.
    > >
    > > The help section in Windows describes IPC$ as follows: "A resource that
    > > shares the named pipes that are essential for communication between
    > > programs. You use IPC$ during remote administration of a computer and

    when
    > > you view a computer's shared resources. You cannot delete this resource"
    > >
    > > In any event, I cannot perform any actions in the Computer Management
    > > console other than refresh, so I appear to be stymied. I would really
    > > appreciate if someone could provide me with a solution to this dilema
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > > --
    > > Jim McColl

    ---
    mike, Oct 24, 2004
  6. =?Utf-8?B?SmltIE1jQ29sbA==?=

    Pavel A. Guest

    On XP, accounts that have no password
    can not be accessed from network.
    Set the password to something not blank.
    --PA

    Pavel A., Oct 25, 2004
  7. Mike & Pavel - First of all Mike the web page you referred me to was bang-on.
    That is exactly the problem I am having. Unfortunately the fix he shows is
    for W2K. I am running WXP Home. In XP Home, user accounts are created from
    the control panel separately and then show up in the Welcome screen.

    I tried Pavel's suggestion of assigning the same password to User "Jim" in
    WXP and also to user "Jim" in W98SE. After I sign on to both computers, I
    attempt to access the desktop computer from the laptop, I still get the
    dreaded IPC$ message. When I try to enter the common password, it doesn't
    work. I still get the message "Password Incorrect Try Again"

    =?Utf-8?B?SmltIE1jQ29sbA==?=, Oct 25, 2004
  8. =?Utf-8?B?SmltIE1jQ29sbA==?=

    mike Guest

    sadly i am not an xp man, win2k, as i knew xp would not suit me.
    what happens if you create a new admin account?
    does it cure it for that account, sorry if you've tried this but i've lost
    the plot a bit.

    mike

    > > > Blair - Thanks for the reply. I do not have a password assigned to any

    of the
    > > > user accounts including the Administrator. If I go into the

    administrator
    > > > account and select "Manage my Network Passwords", a box is displayed

    which
    > > > contains blanks indicating, I believe that there are no stored

    passwords.

    one is

    router. A

    with W98SE.