    waiting for a user to log in.

    Unfortunately, plugging this machine in to the LAN is not an option.

    Any ideas?
    JohnQ, Apr 13, 2005

  2. Try pressing Alt-Ctrl-Del , or Ctrl-Alt-Del and select Shutdown/Lock
    Computer..or WinKey + L ...

    shockie B)

    shockwaveriderz, Apr 14, 2005

  3. JohnQ

    Damase Guest

    Re: File sharing from a WIFI PC with nobody logged on - How to keepit on the network?

    JohnQ wrote:

    > I have desktop with WindowsXP Pro SP2, firewall off. File sharing works
    > fine as long as someone is logged into the computer. Whenever we log off,
    > the wireless connection seems to drop and the share is no longer available.
    >
    > How do I get the connection to stay up using without having someone log on.
    >
    > The 128bit WEP is enabled and I have tried using the Windows WIFI manager
    > and the DLINK wifi manager to no avail. It seems that the machine account
    > is not triggering a connection to the wifi lan just by being powered up and
    > waiting for a user to log in.
    >
    > Unfortunately, plugging this machine in to the LAN is not an option.
    >

    > Any ideas?

    Are you using a Router? If you are not using a router and have a
    peer-to-peer (ad-hoc) network using internet connection sharing then the
    host computer must be on and someone logged on in order for the other
    computer to have access to the internet. As far as sharing files go if
    a person is logged off then their folders simply will not be available
    to the network at all. and if no one is logged on then no folders will
    be available to the network including the shared folder, also, assume
    that I mean all networked resources including shared drives etc.
    Damase, Apr 14, 2005
  4. JohnQ

    JohnQ wrote:

    > I have desktop with WindowsXP Pro SP2, firewall off. File sharing works
    > fine as long as someone is logged into the computer. Whenever we log off,
    > the wireless connection seems to drop and the share is no longer available.
    >
    > How do I get the connection to stay up using without having someone log on.
    >
    > The 128bit WEP is enabled and I have tried using the Windows WIFI manager
    > and the DLINK wifi manager to no avail. It seems that the machine account
    > is not triggering a connection to the wifi lan just by being powered up and
    > waiting for a user to log in.
    >
    > Unfortunately, plugging this machine in to the LAN is not an option.
    >

    > Any ideas?

    Are you saying you want to share the files of the person logged off or
    are you saying that the wireless computer no longer has access to the
    network at all?
    If you are saying that you want to access a persons files who is logged
    off it simply isn't going to happen. If you are saying your wireless
    connection is dropping completely and you have no access at all then you
    probably are using internet connection sharing instead of the router. If
    you are not using a router then you need to get one in order to stay
    networked without having the host computer on AND someone logged on to it.

    HTH
    Damase
    Damase, Apr 14, 2005