    but i can't get the Vista one to see it. I have turned on the sharing
    function on that one too.
    Is it just an incompatibility between XP and Vista?
    me, Apr 4, 2008

  2. me

    Smee Guest

    "me" <> wrote in message
    news:pJgJj.2036$...
    > I'm trying to share files from my XP Pro SP2 desktop so I can transfer
    > them to the Vista (Home Premium) laptop over the wireless network.
    > I've turned on the file sharing on the folders i want to share on the XP
    > one but i can't get the Vista one to see it. I have turned on the sharing
    > function on that one too.
    > Is it just an incompatibility between XP and Vista?

    No it does work, however it's to setup simple file and print sharing <is not
    simple>...
    Here's a link I found to a Technet page on the Evil Empire's site that
    helped me the
    1st time I need to do this for a buddy...
    Good luck, Smee
    Smee, Apr 4, 2008

  3. me

    Rôgêr Guest

    me wrote:
    > I'm trying to share files from my XP Pro SP2 desktop so I can transfer them
    > to the Vista (Home Premium) laptop over the wireless network.
    > I've turned on the file sharing on the folders i want to share on the XP one
    > but i can't get the Vista one to see it. I have turned on the sharing
    > function on that one too.
    > Is it just an incompatibility between XP and Vista?

    Couple of basic questions, do both computers have the same workgroup
    name? Are you using a wireless router or doing it adhoc between the two?
    Have you tried turning off any firewalls to see if it's related?
    Rôgêr, Apr 4, 2008
  4. me

    Robbie Guest

    Rôgêr <> wrote in

    > me wrote:
    >> I'm trying to share files from my XP Pro SP2 desktop so I can
    >> transfer them to the Vista (Home Premium) laptop over the wireless
    >> network. I've turned on the file sharing on the folders i want to
    >> share on the XP one but i can't get the Vista one to see it. I have
    >> turned on the sharing function on that one too.
    >> Is it just an incompatibility between XP and Vista?

    > Couple of basic questions, do both computers have the same workgroup
    > name? Are you using a wireless router or doing it adhoc between the
    > two? Have you tried turning off any firewalls to see if it's related?

    have you installed the Link-Layer Topoligy Resonder on the XP client,
    that helps Vista see XP
    Robbie, Apr 8, 2008
  5. me

    radiorobot

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    File Shareing XP pro with Vista

    That is XP x64 professional with Vista. I did a ton of stuff but I found one thread... so I share the advice here because I cannot find it again. Saves you hours.

    It went like this:

    Dont fret mate. In XP pro computer, Under the Network settings, properties, TCP/IP, go to the advanced setting for that and enable netbios.

    It was that simple. So I post it here for one more human being save some time.
    I tried BTW hkey settings blah de blah. Netbios.

    I now see all the shared files from vista.
    radiorobot, Feb 11, 2009