    Can anyone help me get round this?

    Thanks

    Steve
    Steve, May 11, 2005

  2. Steve

    SteveM Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in
    news:3Khge.236$:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a workgroup with XP and 98 Home. Machines can see each other,
    > but when I try and access a share on the 98 machine from the XP
    > machine it pops up with a box asking for the password (with the
    > username greyed out as XPMACHINE\GUEST). The share doesn't have a
    > password and is enabled for full access.
    > Can anyone help me get round this?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Steve

    Try this page for ideas

    http://alpha-geek.com/2004/05/08/file_sharing_between_winxp_pro_and_win98

    I think the main thing is creating an identical account on both machines...

    SteveM
    SteveM, May 11, 2005

  3. Steve

    Steve Guest

    How do you create a Microsoft Network account in 98?

    Steve, May 11, 2005
  4. In article <3Khge.236$>, e
    says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a workgroup with XP and 98 Home. Machines can see each other, but
    > when I try and access a share on the 98 machine from the XP machine it pops
    > up with a box asking for the password (with the username greyed out as
    > XPMACHINE\GUEST). The share doesn't have a password and is enabled for full
    > access.
    > Can anyone help me get round this?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Steve

    Never had that happen.
    You can have a look and make sure, that 'simple filesharing' is enabled.
    Could 'being logged into a domain' have something to do with it?

    Just a couple of ideas where I would start looking .....

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, May 11, 2005
  5. Steve

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Peter Huebner <> wrote in

    > Never had that happen.
    > You can have a look and make sure, that 'simple filesharing' is

    enabled.
    > Could 'being logged into a domain' have something to do with it?
    >
    > Just a couple of ideas where I would start looking .....

    OR;
    Guest account enabled in Xp
    File shares on fat 32 or below.
    Files shared from Xp box.

    Works for most situations

    This is not a secure setup, it just works for me.
    If you want to secure it, well follow the guidelines available elsewhere.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, May 11, 2005
  6. Steve

    Steve Guest

    The 98 machine is of course FAT32 or below.
    The 98 machine can access the shares on the XP box no worries.
    Both machines logging in with USERX and no password
    Guest account enabled, or disabled - same effect. (on xp).
    It's bonkers.

    Steve, May 11, 2005
  7. In article <1ulge.322$>, e
    says...

    > The 98 machine is of course FAT32 or below.
    > The 98 machine can access the shares on the XP box no worries.
    > Both machines logging in with USERX and no password
    > Guest account enabled, or disabled - same effect. (on xp).
    > It's bonkers.

    Yupp - whenever I had problems of that kind it's been the other way
    around. (XP machine can see files, '98 machine can't; or else both
    couldn't).

    You could try to install netbeui protocol on the XP box and see if that
    will give it a leg up. It's on the CD, but you need to navigate to it.
    (google for the location, I can't remember - it's been too long). But
    that's fixed things for me on a couple of occasions.

    h.t.h. -P.
    Peter Huebner, May 11, 2005
  8. Steve

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Wed, 11 May 2005 18:32:27 +1200, "Steve" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have a workgroup with XP and 98 Home. Machines can see each other, but
    >when I try and access a share on the 98 machine from the XP machine it pops
    >up with a box asking for the password (with the username greyed out as
    >XPMACHINE\GUEST). The share doesn't have a password and is enabled for full
    >access.
    >Can anyone help me get round this?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Steve

    Do both machines log in with the same user name and password? I know
    98 doesn't "log in" as such but this may help. Xp also doesn't seem to
    like shares with no password. Try going start, run "gpedit.msc"
    (without the quotation marks), windows settings, security settings,
    local polices, security options, Accounts: Limit local account use of
    blank passwords to console logon only. Make sure this is DISABLED.
    DoggNZ, May 12, 2005
  9. Steve

    Rob J Guest

    In article <m5jge.274$> in nz.comp on Wed, 11 May
    2005 20:05:33 +1200, Steve <> says...
    > How do you create a Microsoft Network account in 98?

    All you need to do is at the logon screen enter the username and password
    of the account on the XP machine. Note that unlike XP you can't re-enter
    these later, only the password can be reentered.

    If you don't put a password on your 98 shares they are fully accessible
    to any other machine on the network.

    XP works quite differently, it has account based permissions meaning you
    need to match the username and password assigned on a particular share,
    also the permissions can be set for each share.

    Rob J, May 13, 2005