    this with Windows XP pro and SATA or SATA II drives? has anyone had
    experiance serving files to multiple users using windows XP? thanks in
    advance!
    Nick Vital, Aug 4, 2006

  2. Nick Vital

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Nick Vital wrote:
    > I have someone who wants a file server that will host files for 19 users.
    > they have an older machine rihgt now that isn't doing teh job. I know the
    > best way to go would be to run win 2003 server and have SCSI hard drives.
    > but that ads a significant amount to the cost. would it be possible to do
    > this with Windows XP pro and SATA or SATA II drives? has anyone had
    > experiance serving files to multiple users using windows XP? thanks in
    > advance!

    Doesn't XP Pro have a concurrent connection of only ten concurrent
    connections to XP Pro at one time? It might come into play in a LAN
    situation with it being a file server.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Aug 4, 2006

  3. Nick Vital

    atec77 Guest

    Nick Vital wrote:
    > I have someone who wants a file server that will host files for 19 users.
    > they have an older machine rihgt now that isn't doing teh job. I know the
    > best way to go would be to run win 2003 server and have SCSI hard drives.
    > but that ads a significant amount to the cost. would it be possible to do
    > this with Windows XP pro and SATA or SATA II drives? has anyone had
    > experiance serving files to multiple users using windows XP? thanks in
    > advance!

    A very effective low cost method would be to install a copy of e-smith.
    no cost apart from installation , very virus resistant and requires
    lighter hardware .
    atec77, Aug 4, 2006
  4. Nick Vital

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    Nick Vital wrote:
    > I have someone who wants a file server that will host files for 19 users.
    > they have an older machine rihgt now that isn't doing teh job. I know the
    > best way to go would be to run win 2003 server and have SCSI hard drives.
    > but that ads a significant amount to the cost. would it be possible to do
    > this with Windows XP pro and SATA or SATA II drives? has anyone had
    > experiance serving files to multiple users using windows XP? thanks in
    > advance!

    Why not upgrade the old one with a new MB
    and disks?
    (leave the software alone??)
    Sjouke Burry, Aug 4, 2006
  5. Nick Vital

    Dr Nick Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message
    > Nick Vital wrote:
    >> I have someone who wants a file server that will host files for 19 users.
    >> they have an older machine rihgt now that isn't doing teh job. I know the
    >> best way to go would be to run win 2003 server and have SCSI hard drives.
    >> but that ads a significant amount to the cost. would it be possible to do
    >> this with Windows XP pro and SATA or SATA II drives? has anyone had
    >> experiance serving files to multiple users using windows XP? thanks in
    >> advance!
    >>

    > Doesn't XP Pro have a concurrent connection of only ten concurrent
    > connections to XP Pro at one time? It might come into play in a LAN
    > situation with it being a file server.
    >
    > Duane :)

    thanks for the info, I didn't realize XP pro had a limit of connections.
    guess I"ll go with a win 2k server methos.

    as far as just upgrading the software, they want to convert the computer
    into a workstation (the old one) so they just want a whole new setup.

    -nick
    Dr Nick, Aug 5, 2006
  6. Nick Vital

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, atec77 <"atec77 **
    "@hotmail.com> writes
    >Nick Vital wrote:
    >> I have someone who wants a file server that will host files for 19 users.
    >> they have an older machine rihgt now that isn't doing teh job. I know the
    >> best way to go would be to run win 2003 server and have SCSI hard drives.
    >> but that ads a significant amount to the cost. would it be possible to do
    >> this with Windows XP pro and SATA or SATA II drives? has anyone had
    >> experiance serving files to multiple users using windows XP? thanks in
    >> advance!
    >>

    >A very effective low cost method would be to install a copy of e-smith.
    > no cost apart from installation , very virus resistant and requires
    >lighter hardware .

    E-smith

    Where is that?, google doesn't seem to bring it up other then mitel
    networks??....
    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Aug 5, 2006
  7. Nick Vital

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Dr Nick wrote:
    > "Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message
    >
    >>Nick Vital wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have someone who wants a file server that will host files for 19 users.
    >>>they have an older machine rihgt now that isn't doing teh job. I know the
    >>>best way to go would be to run win 2003 server and have SCSI hard drives.
    >>>but that ads a significant amount to the cost. would it be possible to do
    >>>this with Windows XP pro and SATA or SATA II drives? has anyone had
    >>>experiance serving files to multiple users using windows XP? thanks in
    >>>advance!
    >>>

    >>Doesn't XP Pro have a concurrent connection of only ten concurrent
    >>connections to XP Pro at one time? It might come into play in a LAN
    >>situation with it being a file server.
    >>
    >>Duane :)

    > thanks for the info, I didn't realize XP pro had a limit of connections.
    > guess I"ll go with a win 2k server methos.

    XP Home, it's only 5 concurrent connections.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Aug 5, 2006