file security in windows 7 ultimate

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Novice, Apr 28, 2010.

  1. Novice

    Novice Guest

    Hi all, wasn't sure where to post this - but I can't seem to find any
    way to set security permissions on files in windows 7 ultimate.

    I've read in some posts online that if you right click on a file/
    folder there is a security tab. Unfortunately when I click on a file/
    folder - there is no security tab available. The only tabs available
    are:
    General
    Tools
    Hardware
    Sharing
    ReadyBoost
    Previous Versions
    Customize

    Essentially I want to prevent all non administrative users from
    accessing my secondary drive and possibly some folders on the primary.

    Thanks,
    Novice
    Novice, Apr 28, 2010

  2. Novice

    Carlos Guest

    Novice,
    It seems to me that you are right clicking on a drive letter rather than a
    file.
    Choose your target file on the right pane in Windows Explorer, right click
    on it, choose properties, and you should see:
    General
    Security
    Details
    Previous versions

    Carlos

    Carlos, Apr 28, 2010

  3. Novice

    James Kosin Guest

    On 4/28/2010 6:25 AM, Carlos wrote:
    > Novice,
    > It seems to me that you are right clicking on a drive letter rather than a
    > file.
    > Choose your target file on the right pane in Windows Explorer, right click
    > on it, choose properties, and you should see:
    > General
    > Security
    > Details
    > Previous versions
    >
    > Carlos
    >

    > "Novice" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all, wasn't sure where to post this - but I can't seem to find any
    >> way to set security permissions on files in windows 7 ultimate.
    >>
    >> I've read in some posts online that if you right click on a file/
    >> folder there is a security tab. Unfortunately when I click on a file/
    >> folder - there is no security tab available. The only tabs available
    >> are:
    >> General
    >> Tools
    >> Hardware
    >> Sharing
    >> ReadyBoost
    >> Previous Versions
    >> Customize

    Actually, you are trying to do this with a USB stick drive.... which
    won't work as you are expecting. As Carlos says you will have to select
    the folders and change the properties there.
    Drive C you should be able to do what you are expecting. Do realize,
    you will have to be careful. Some folders shouldn't be read only on C:
    for logical reasons.

    James
    James Kosin, Apr 29, 2010