    What are my best options for recovery?
    Thanks for any help
    Terry
    Terry, Dec 8, 2006

  2. Make a bootable diskette or even better a bootable CD with SpinRite 6.0
    http://www.grc.com/default.htm, give it a try, hope this will help.

    Elinor Bahiti, Dec 8, 2006

  3. Terry

    Gordon Guest

    Terry <nonewhatsoeveratnonewhatsoever.cam> wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > I have a laptop with a crashed hard disk. I can't do a repair install
    > because it can't see the hard disl anymore. I have attached the disk
    > to my desktop with an adaptor and can see the My Documents folder but
    > can't touch the folder because I made it private.

    Look up "Taking Ownership of Files and Folders" in Help and Support.
    Gordon, Dec 8, 2006
  4. Terry

    Mara Guest

    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1011045757

    --
    A luser is someone who returns a perfectly good hammer to the hardware
    store saying "There's something wrong with it.  I keep hitting my
    Mara, Dec 8, 2006
  5. Terry

    Terry Guest

    On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 06:48:17 -0600, Mara
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 20:36:49 -0500, Terry <nonewhatsoeveratnonewhatsoever.cam>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>I have a laptop with a crashed hard disk. I can't do a repair install
    >>because it can't see the hard disl anymore. I have attached the disk
    >>to my desktop with an adaptor and can see the My Documents folder but
    >>can't touch the folder because I made it private.
    >>
    >>What are my best options for recovery?

    >http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1011045757
    >
    >>Thanks for any help
    >>Terry

    Thanks for the replies. I have changed ownership and recovered some
    of the files, but now am getting an I/O error to deal with.

    Will let everyone know what happens when the dust settles.
    Terry
    Terry, Dec 9, 2006
  6. Terry

    Terry Guest

    On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 19:46:13 -0500, Terry
    <nonewhatsoeveratnonewhatsoever.cam> wrote:

    >On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 06:48:17 -0600, Mara
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 20:36:49 -0500, Terry <nonewhatsoeveratnonewhatsoever.cam>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi all,
    >>>I have a laptop with a crashed hard disk. I can't do a repair install
    >>>because it can't see the hard disl anymore. I have attached the disk
    >>>to my desktop with an adaptor and can see the My Documents folder but
    >>>can't touch the folder because I made it private.
    >>>
    >>>What are my best options for recovery?

    >>http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1011045757
    >>
    >>>Thanks for any help
    >>>Terry

    >Thanks for the replies. I have changed ownership and recovered some
    >of the files, but now am getting an I/O error to deal with.
    >
    >Will let everyone know what happens when the dust settles.
    >Terry

    Waal, I ended up recovering the files in the raw mode. The drive is
    absolutely shot. Thanks everyone for your help.

    Terry
    Terry, Dec 10, 2006
  7. Terry

    ellis_jay Guest

    Mara wrote:
    > On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 20:36:49 -0500, Terry
    > <nonewhatsoeveratnonewhatsoever.cam> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >> I have a laptop with a crashed hard disk. I can't do a repair
    >> install because it can't see the hard disl anymore. I have attached
    >> the disk to my desktop with an adaptor and can see the My Documents
    >> folder but can't touch the folder because I made it private.
    >>
    >> What are my best options for recovery?

    > http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1011045757
    >
    >> Thanks for any help
    >> Terry

    Thanx Mara. That may come in handy so I will bookmark it-i.e save to
    favorites.

    ___Sador the carpenter to Turin
    Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales

    Ellis_Jay