    and not anything else.

    Any advice will be much appreciated - but keep it simple please.

    Joe
    Joe Rogers, Mar 5, 2005

  2. Joe Rogers

    PJB Guest

    "Joe Rogers" <> wrote in message
    news:mehWd.236418$...
    > I'm using win98se on my desktop pc with a Belkin wireless router and I've
    > got a wireless connection on my laptop which has XP pro OS. I've got the
    > wireless connection set up ok and can access the internet on both PCs. I
    > have also set up my desktop PC to file and printer share and according to
    > Belkin, both PCs are talking to each other. My problems are that I can't
    > load my printer on the laptop (during wizard, it doesn't recognise the
    > printer connected on the network). And, I can't see the desktop PC on my
    > laptop. To be honest, I'm not even sure what I'm looking for! I'm guessing
    > I'd see my desktop as just another drive....
    >
    > For the record, Belkin can only help me get the wireless connection set up
    > and not anything else.
    >
    > Any advice will be much appreciated - but keep it simple please.
    >
    > Joe

    try browsing www.practicallynetworked.com it may help you.

    P.
    PJB, Mar 5, 2005

  3. Joe Rogers

    Keme Guest

    Joe Rogers wrote:
    > I'm using win98se on my desktop pc with a Belkin wireless router and I've
    > got a wireless connection on my laptop which has XP pro OS. I've got the
    > wireless connection set up ok and can access the internet on both PCs. I
    > have also set up my desktop PC to file and printer share and according to
    > Belkin, both PCs are talking to each other. My problems are that I can't
    > load my printer on the laptop (during wizard, it doesn't recognise the
    > printer connected on the network). And, I can't see the desktop PC on my
    > laptop. To be honest, I'm not even sure what I'm looking for! I'm guessing
    > I'd see my desktop as just another drive....
    >
    > For the record, Belkin can only help me get the wireless connection set up
    > and not anything else.
    >
    > Any advice will be much appreciated - but keep it simple please.
    >
    > Joe

    I assume what you've done is to activate file and printer sharing on
    your win98 PC. The next step is to actively share all resources you want
    available for other computers.
    Right click on the icon for your printer and select "sharing"
    Select the "Share as" radio button and type a network name
    Click OK
    Now you should see the network name of your printer in Network
    Neighborhood on your laptop. If not, maybe the "computer browser"
    service and/or "automatic search for shared resources" feature are
    switched off (advisable in networks with a large number of portables).
    Don't Panic!
    First, determine the network name of your desktop PC. Open "Network"
    applet in Control Panel, and select the "Identification" tab.
    Next, open Windows Explorer on your laptop and type into the address
    field: \\PCname\printername
    (You'll want to substitute the actual network names for PCname and
    printername above ... :cool: )

    If that doesn't work either, try using IP address instead of PCname.
    (the utilities ipconfig and winipcfg will ow you the IP address on win98)

    You can share folders or entire disks/partions the same way. Some words
    of warning, though: When sharing on wireless connections, the share is
    open to your neighbors too (in theory up to 300m/1000' away, but a
    practical radius is often 10-25% of that). Use security precautions! And
    don't share your system partition ("C:" in nearly every computer).
    Keme, Mar 11, 2005