File & Printer sharing with a Linksys WRT54GS-CA

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Joel Racicot, Mar 4, 2005.

  1. Joel Racicot

    Joel Racicot Guest

    Hi all,

    I've read everything I can find on this and I still can't get it
    working. I'm setting up a distributed network for a charity, with 4
    remote locations and I'm having problems with 2 locations.

    Location 1 has a PC with XP Home and Norton Internet Security + laptop
    with XP Pro and LinkSys WRT54GS-CA + DSL Connection.

    Location 2 has a PC with Win98 and Norton Internet Security + laptop
    with XP Pro and LinkSys WRT54GS-CA + Cable Connection.

    In both situations, the PC and laptop can connect to the Internet, but
    can't see each other. No ping or anything. Both are getting IP
    address through DHCP from the router. All have file & printer sharing
    turned on.

    The new hardware in the setup is the laptop and router. The PCs were
    pre-existing. I suspect that Norton Internet Security is the culprit,
    but I would have expected to see prompts asking if I wanted to allow
    traffic. Not happening.

    Should I remove Norton Internet Security from the PCs? Will this
    help?

    Any ideas are appreciated.

    Thanks

    Joel
    Joel Racicot, Mar 4, 2005

  2. Joel Racicot

    Malke Guest

    Joel Racicot wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've read everything I can find on this and I still can't get it
    > working. I'm setting up a distributed network for a charity, with 4
    > remote locations and I'm having problems with 2 locations.
    >
    > Location 1 has a PC with XP Home and Norton Internet Security + laptop
    > with XP Pro and LinkSys WRT54GS-CA + DSL Connection.
    >
    > Location 2 has a PC with Win98 and Norton Internet Security + laptop
    > with XP Pro and LinkSys WRT54GS-CA + Cable Connection.
    >
    > In both situations, the PC and laptop can connect to the Internet, but
    > can't see each other. No ping or anything. Both are getting IP
    > address through DHCP from the router. All have file & printer sharing
    > turned on.
    >
    > The new hardware in the setup is the laptop and router. The PCs were
    > pre-existing. I suspect that Norton Internet Security is the culprit,
    > but I would have expected to see prompts asking if I wanted to allow
    > traffic. Not happening.
    >
    > Should I remove Norton Internet Security from the PCs? Will this
    > help?

    The symptoms you are describing are what one would expect to see if a
    firewall is on and incorrectly configured. I certainly would never run
    without a firewall. You will need to look at the NIS Help files and
    correctly configure the firewall to allow lan traffic as trusted. I
    don't use this program, so I can't tell you exactly where to look but
    I'm quite sure this can be done. Additionally, if any of the XP boxen
    have SP2, check to see if the Windows Firewall is on (and I would check
    the Windows Firewall service too and set it to "Disabled"). SP2
    automatically enables the Windows Firewall.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    Malke, Mar 4, 2005

  3. Joel Racicot

    Guest

    Thanks for the info. I'll check it out and feedback to this group.

    Joel

    Malke wrote:
    > Joel Racicot wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I've read everything I can find on this and I still can't get it
    > > working. I'm setting up a distributed network for a charity, with

    4
    > > remote locations and I'm having problems with 2 locations.
    > >
    > > Location 1 has a PC with XP Home and Norton Internet Security +

    laptop
    > > with XP Pro and LinkSys WRT54GS-CA + DSL Connection.
    > >
    > > Location 2 has a PC with Win98 and Norton Internet Security +

    laptop
    > > with XP Pro and LinkSys WRT54GS-CA + Cable Connection.
    > >
    > > In both situations, the PC and laptop can connect to the Internet,

    but
    > > can't see each other. No ping or anything. Both are getting IP
    > > address through DHCP from the router. All have file & printer

    sharing
    > > turned on.
    > >
    > > The new hardware in the setup is the laptop and router. The PCs

    were
    > > pre-existing. I suspect that Norton Internet Security is the

    culprit,
    > > but I would have expected to see prompts asking if I wanted to

    allow
    > > traffic. Not happening.
    > >
    > > Should I remove Norton Internet Security from the PCs? Will this
    > > help?
    > >

    > The symptoms you are describing are what one would expect to see if a
    > firewall is on and incorrectly configured. I certainly would never

    run
    > without a firewall. You will need to look at the NIS Help files and
    > correctly configure the firewall to allow lan traffic as trusted. I
    > don't use this program, so I can't tell you exactly where to look but
    > I'm quite sure this can be done. Additionally, if any of the XP boxen
    > have SP2, check to see if the Windows Firewall is on (and I would

    check
    > the Windows Firewall service too and set it to "Disabled"). SP2
    > automatically enables the Windows Firewall.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    , Mar 5, 2005
  4. Joel Racicot

    Microsoft Guest

    Hi Joel

    Norton Internet Security is a real pig - slows down the system and eats
    memory - but I guess it must be good as its horible!

    Try this

    Open internet security
    Personal Firewall
    Configure
    Networks
    Run the Wizard

    Works every time - I didnt find it in the instructions - someone told me
    about it - its not too obvious!

    Hope this helps

    Ian

    Microsoft, Mar 5, 2005
  5. Although I am having related issues one thing I do know is that firewalls,
    Norton and XP cause issues and should be disabled to simplify things
    initially. There are ways to run with the firewall but I have not gotten that
    far. Hope that helps some

    =?Utf-8?B?dGNhdmEx?=, Mar 8, 2005