    \Program/?Files" but I can't for the life of me remember what it is. How
    would I even write it if Apache wants it the UNIX way?

    FYI I'm trying to get PHP to work on Apache 1.3.x on Win2k. :)

    Mike Cox, Apr 3, 2005

  2. Mike Cox wrote:

    > I have the Apache web Server that reads a file for directory locations.
    > The problem is that the program doesn't understand spaces, for instance "C:
    > \Program Files\" How do I write "C:\Program Files" without the space? I
    > also have to contend with the fact that it requires paths to be written the
    > UNIX way of "C:/Program Files/" which complicates matters even more.
    >

    > I think there is an escape charcter something along the lines of "C:
    > \Program/?Files" but I can't for the life of me remember what it is. How
    > would I even write it if Apache wants it the UNIX way?
    >
    > FYI I'm trying to get PHP to work on Apache 1.3.x on Win2k. :)

    Read the FAQ, ask your question(s) in the Apache NG's, and as far as
    building Apache to run with windows, use the Win32 builds, i.e.
    apache_2.0.53-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Apr 3, 2005

  3. Mike Cox wrote:
    > I have the Apache web Server that reads a file for directory
    > locations.
    > The problem is that the program doesn't understand spaces, for
    > instance "C: \Program Files\" How do I write "C:\Program Files"
    > without the space? I also have to contend with the fact that it
    > requires paths to be written the UNIX way of "C:/Program Files/"
    > which complicates matters even more.
    >

    > I think there is an escape charcter something along the lines of "C:
    > \Program/?Files" but I can't for the life of me remember what it is.
    > How would I even write it if Apache wants it the UNIX way?
    >
    > FYI I'm trying to get PHP to work on Apache 1.3.x on Win2k. :)

    c:\program%20files might work. We haven't tested this, but on the other
    hand, we do recommend you use the 8.3 convention to avoid any hassle.
    --
    - Frank DeLucca -

    MS-MVP (Not confirmed, yet)

    Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV, Apr 3, 2005
  4. Mike Cox

    * Guest

    Hi Mike Cox, You told me:
    > I have the Apache web Server that reads a file for directory
    > locations.
    > The problem is that the program doesn't understand spaces, for
    > instance

    'the program'? What fucking 'program'? Apache? Something else? What? You
    less than vague cretin?

    > "C: \Program Files\" How do I write "C:\Program Files"
    > without the space? I also have to contend with the fact that it
    > requires paths to be written the UNIX way of "C:/Program Files/"
    > which complicates matters even more.
    >

    > I think there is an escape charcter something along the lines of "C:
    > \Program/?Files" but I can't for the life of me remember what it is.
    > How would I even write it if Apache wants it the UNIX way?
    >
    > FYI I'm trying to get PHP to work on Apache 1.3.x on Win2k. :)

    Try enclosing the filename in double quotes and use forward slashes.

    ServerRoot "C:/Mike Cox/is a/fucktard"

    Alias /fucktard "C:/Mike Cox/is a/fucktard"

    for exfuckingample.

    Read the Windows version of httpd.conf, for exfuckingample.

    "C:/Mike Cox/is a/fucktard"
    "C:/Mike Cox/is a/fucktard/who knows **** all"

    If 'the program' still fails to recognise spaces, use the DOS short path.
    See DIR /X, for exfuckingample.

    You have spent too much time in cola. Linux makes you fucking stupid.

    *, Apr 3, 2005
  5. Mike Cox

    Jeff_Relf Guest

    My lawyers eat your types for lunch.

    Hi Check_Kiter, You told Mikie: << Hi Mike Cox, You told me: >>

    Unless I see your royalty check in the mail soon,
    my lawyers will be contacting your lawyers.

    P.S. My lawyers eat your types for lunch.

    ( ha ha... it's a joke )

    Jeff_Relf, Apr 3, 2005
  6. Mike Cox

    DC Guest

    Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV wrote:
    > Mike Cox wrote:
    >> I have the Apache web Server that reads a file for directory
    >> locations.
    >> The problem is that the program doesn't understand spaces, for
    >> instance "C: \Program Files\" How do I write "C:\Program Files"
    >> without the space? I also have to contend with the fact that it
    >> requires paths to be written the UNIX way of "C:/Program Files/"
    >> which complicates matters even more.

    >> I think there is an escape charcter something along the lines of "C:
    >> \Program/?Files" but I can't for the life of me remember what it is.
    >> How would I even write it if Apache wants it the UNIX way?

    >> FYI I'm trying to get PHP to work on Apache 1.3.x on Win2k. :)

    > c:\program%20files might work. We haven't tested this, but on the other
    > hand, we do recommend you use the 8.3 convention to avoid any hassle.

    Are you royalty, per chance? Else, who the hell is *we*?

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Customize Xnews - http://dcicons.fateback.com

    DC, Apr 3, 2005
  7. DC wrote:
    > Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV wrote:
    >> Mike Cox wrote:
    >>> I have the Apache web Server that reads a file for directory
    >>> locations.
    >>> The problem is that the program doesn't understand spaces, for
    >>> instance "C: \Program Files\" How do I write "C:\Program Files"
    >>> without the space? I also have to contend with the fact that it
    >>> requires paths to be written the UNIX way of "C:/Program Files/"
    >>> which complicates matters even more.

    >>> I think there is an escape charcter something along the lines of "C:
    >>> \Program/?Files" but I can't for the life of me remember what it is.
    >>> How would I even write it if Apache wants it the UNIX way?

    >>> FYI I'm trying to get PHP to work on Apache 1.3.x on Win2k. :)

    >> c:\program%20files might work. We haven't tested this, but on the
    >> other hand, we do recommend you use the 8.3 convention to avoid any
    >> hassle.

    > Are you royalty, per chance? Else, who the hell is *we*?

    FYI, *we* are the largest software company in the world. You might have
    heard from us, or you will soon. *We* also recommend you to stop using Linux
    RIGHT NOW, because it's an inferior Operating System and there are no
    Service Pak's available for it. BTW, KDE and Gnome sucks.
    --
    - Frank DeLucca -

    MS-MVP (Not confirmed, yet)

    Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV, Apr 3, 2005
  8. Mike Cox

    why? Guest

    x-post trimmed to 24hshd.

    On 3 Apr 2005 13:01:21 +0200, Mike Cox wrote:

    >I have the Apache web Server that reads a file for directory locations.
    >The problem is that the program doesn't understand spaces, for instance "C:

    What program?

    >\Program Files\" How do I write "C:\Program Files" without the space? I

    So it's you writing LFNs or the program reading them?

    Get the program to use 8.3 format?

    Read the manual for the PHP code and see why it's having problems with
    LFNs.

    Use something else that parses LFN's correctly and pass them back into
    the PHP code.

    As with any webserver / scripting it's *always best to avoid spaces &
    stuff like !"£$ and uppercase in paths and filenames.

    >also have to contend with the fact that it requires paths to be written the
    >UNIX way of "C:/Program Files/" which complicates matters even more.

    Also easy although it's been years since doing that.

    You should IIRC be able to use either / or \ as long as you stick to the
    same methos all the way throughout.

    >I think there is an escape charcter something along the lines of "C:

    Duh! try \\ if not that www.google.com

    PHP guide
    .... The escape character is a backslash ( \ ) and it tells the PHP
    parser to just
    print and not read the character that follows the escape character. ...

    >\Program/?Files" but I can't for the life of me remember what it is. How
    >would I even write it if Apache wants it the UNIX way?
    >
    >FYI I'm trying to get PHP to work on Apache 1.3.x on Win2k. :)

    Lots of PHP books, mailing lists and forums, and even some newsgroups.
    Check other sources.

    Me

    why?, Apr 3, 2005
  9. Mike Cox

    DC Guest

    Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV wrote:
    > DC wrote:
    >> Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV wrote:

    >>> c:\program%20files might work. We haven't tested this, but on the
    >>> other hand, we do recommend you use the 8.3 convention to avoid any
    >>> hassle.

    >> Are you royalty, per chance? Else, who the hell is *we*?

    > FYI, *we* are the largest software company in the world. You might have
    > heard from us, or you will soon. *We* also recommend you to stop using Linux
    > RIGHT NOW, because it's an inferior Operating System and there are no
    > Service Pak's available for it. BTW, KDE and Gnome sucks.

    You are such a fucking twat.

    DC, Apr 3, 2005
  10. DC wrote:
    > Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV wrote:
    >> DC wrote:

    >>> Are you royalty, per chance? Else, who the hell is *we*?

    >> FYI, *we* are the largest software company in the world. You might
    >> have heard from us, or you will soon. *We* also recommend you to
    >> stop using Linux RIGHT NOW, because it's an inferior Operating
    >> System and there are no Service Pak's available for it. BTW, KDE
    >> and Gnome sucks.

    > You are such a fucking twat.

    Thanks, you illiterate bucket of radioactive haemorrhoids.

    --
    - Frank DeLucca -

    MS-MVP (Not confirmed, yet)

    Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV, Apr 3, 2005
  11. Mike Cox

    trout Guest

    DC wrote:

    > Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV wrote:

    <snip the troll>

    > You are such a fucking twat.

    This is an impersonating troll.
    --
    There *is* a 'Frank DeLucca'. This ain't him.

    trout, Apr 3, 2005
  12. Mike Cox

    John Holmes Guest

    trout asked in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    And you're just a fucking clueless idiotic ****.

    --
    - John Holmes -

    " I ain't no **** "

    \|/

    John Holmes, Apr 3, 2005
  13. Mike Cox

    DC Guest

    trout wrote:
    > DC wrote:

    >> Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV wrote:

    ><snip the troll>

    >> You are such a fucking twat.

    > This is an impersonating troll.

    Shit. Missed that. Thanks, trout.

    Nevertheless, my opinion of it still stands. };O)

    DC, Apr 3, 2005
  14. Mike Cox

    Bodger Guest

    use the underscore and avoid capitals ie my_files

    Bodger, May 27, 2005