File Name Limitations, & RecordNow Plus For DVD Burning ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Sep 28, 2007.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello,

    Have been using RecordNow Plus to burn some DVD's over the years, that are
    just composed of text files. No video, etc.

    Using XP, and this program came pre-loaded on the PC from Dell (about 3 yrs
    old now)

    I just tried to burn a DVD, again with text only, but it comes back to me
    with an error msg that the file names are too long. Surprised that it won't
    accept anything XP will accept ?

    Was wondering as I'm not very good with this stuff.

    Is there anything likely on my PC that perhaps came preloaded with XP that
    will enable me to burn a DVD with, I guess, somewhat long file names. The
    names really aren't all that long.

    If so, what and where, please ?

    Would be a real inconvenience to try and shorten them all.

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Sep 28, 2007

  2. Robert11

    cineman Guest

    Goto My computer, double left click your dvd drive to open as folder reduce
    in size to about half screen or less
    open folder where your files are stored you want to burn. reduce in size to
    under half screen, lay side by side both dvd drive window and folder window
    Now comes the hard bit... drag all files you want burn into the writable
    window.
    When complete you should have option to burn , this in menu on left hand
    side of writable window.
    Thats the way to do it.
    regards
    Cineman

    cineman, Sep 28, 2007

  3. Robert11

    dadiOH Guest

    Robert11 wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Have been using RecordNow Plus to burn some DVD's over the years,
    > that are just composed of text files. No video, etc.
    >
    > Using XP, and this program came pre-loaded on the PC from Dell
    > (about 3 yrs old now)
    >
    > I just tried to burn a DVD, again with text only, but it comes back
    > to me with an error msg that the file names are too long.
    > Surprised that it won't accept anything XP will accept ?
    >
    > Was wondering as I'm not very good with this stuff.
    >
    > Is there anything likely on my PC that perhaps came preloaded with
    > XP that will enable me to burn a DVD with, I guess, somewhat long
    > file names. The names really aren't all that long.
    >
    > If so, what and where, please ?
    >
    > Would be a real inconvenience to try and shorten them all.

    After you open RecordNow and select the type of disk you want (data)
    click on the options button and see what is available for DVD. On my
    ancient version of the program there are two for file name length - up
    to 108 characters and up to 128. Either of those should be plenty so
    I don't understand why you are getting an error message.

    You said you have been using RecordNow for some time. Presumably
    without problems so what are you doing different now?

    --

    dadiOH

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Sep 29, 2007