  1. it was working properly. now whatever file opened from cdrom it
    contains only 8 letters.
    please help me to solve this problem
    Sri Ragaventhirar, Dec 25, 2006

  2. Sri Ragaventhirar

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 25 Dec 2006 05:13:10 -0800, "Sri Ragaventhirar"
    <> wrote:

    >it was working properly. now whatever file opened from cdrom it
    >contains only 8 letters.
    >please help me to solve this problem

    *Sigh*

    Is this a Mac? A Atari?
    Evan Platt, Dec 25, 2006

  3. > Is this a Mac? A Atari?

    Windows 98
    Sri Ragaventhirar, Dec 25, 2006
  4. Sri Ragaventhirar wrote:

    >> Is this a Mac? A Atari?

    > Windows 98

    I remember from ancient times ... that could happen when the driver runs
    in "dos compatibility mode". Reason might be a bad/partially loose cable
    (had that happen with a harddrive), wrong jumpering or some non-atapi cdrom
    drive (would be really old then).
    Have a look at system - performance options, or however you may get there in
    W98.
    Walter Mautner, Dec 25, 2006
  5. Sri Ragaventhirar

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    > Is this a Mac? A Atari?

    Certainly not Mac. Mac has never had a filename limit lower than 31
    characters.
    Mitch, Dec 26, 2006
  6. Sri Ragaventhirar

    thanatoid Guest

    "Sri Ragaventhirar" <> wrote in

    > it was working properly. now whatever file opened from
    > cdrom it contains only 8 letters.
    > please help me to solve this problem

    I intermittently have this problem, but it is usually only when
    I read a just-recorded CD. What is actually ON the CD is VERY
    different from what one would think by looking at the file list.
    Depending on the OS, CD-R's and a lot of other things still work
    on the 8.3 file naming convention system internally. The
    original CD-R specifications called for that and some programs
    still use the original specifications. Long complicated subject.

    Anyway, I bet if you eject the CD, close Explorer or whatever
    file manager you use, put the CD in again and look at it again,
    the file names will show up OK. Failing that, if you reboot,
    they probably will. If it still doesn't work, you could look
    through www.cdrfaq.org - it has ALL the answers to EVERYTHING
    CD-R/RW.

    thanatoid, Dec 28, 2006
  7. Sri Ragaventhirar

    Frosty Guest

    On 25 Dec 2006 05:13:10 -0800 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk a thought sat
    on "Sri Ragaventhirar" <>'s chest like a
    vulture, I said "Pluck It! And with the feather I'll tickle your
    throat and you can throw it up to me" Said he "I shall" & thus puked:
    >it was working properly. now whatever file opened from cdrom it
    >contains only 8 letters.
    >please help me to solve this problem

    You don't want to know what I think.
    Frosty, Dec 31, 2006