    what first screen? nothing else happens and I haven't a clue what to do. Any
    help would be much appreciated.

    deb

    dingalingdeb, Jul 30, 2006

  2. dingalingdeb

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "dingalingdeb" <> wrote in message
    news:0fVyg.145564$I61.122766@clgrps13...
    >I have no idea what to do or how these things are related. On my other
    >computer, windows xp a thing came up saying that the virus protector
    >Avast! had expired and did I want to .... get a new key good for another 14
    >months, or update (or something like that) - I clicked on 'get a new key'
    >and then clicked 'ok' Then the screen went blank and 'this' came up:
    >'Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
    >System 32\Drivers\ntfs.sys You can attempt to repair this file by
    >startin windows setup using the original setup CD - ROM Well, I didn't
    >have the original and had a disk the guy gave us the last time that the
    >computer was in the shop and called 'backup' so I put the disk in and a
    >little something happens to where it says: Select 'r' at the first screen
    >to start repair - what first screen? nothing else happens and I haven't a
    >clue what to do. Any help would be much appreciated.
    >
    > deb

    What it means is go buy a legal copy of the XP O/S, configure the BIOS to
    boot from the CD, and do an upgrade over the top of the existing O/S
    laying/installing the O/S over the top of itself. The upgrade over the top,
    will not destroy existing programs or settings. However, you will need to
    apply/install the service pack and any hot fixes to the O/S as those are
    lost.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 30, 2006

  3. dingalingdeb

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:
    > "dingalingdeb" <> wrote in message
    >> I have no idea what to do or how these things are related. On my
    >> other computer, windows xp a thing came up saying that the virus
    >> protector Avast! had expired and did I want to .... get a new key
    >> good for another 14 months, or update (or something like that) - I
    >> clicked on 'get a new key' and then clicked 'ok' Then the screen
    >> went blank and 'this' came up: 'Windows could not start because the
    >> following file is missing or corrupt System 32\Drivers\ntfs.sys You
    >> can attempt to repair this file by startin windows setup using
    >> the original setup CD - ROM Well, I didn't have the original
    >> and had a disk the guy gave us the last time that the computer was
    >> in the shop and called 'backup' so I put the disk in and a little
    >> something happens to where it says: Select 'r' at the first screen
    >> to start repair - what first screen? nothing else happens and I
    >> haven't a clue what to do. Any help would be much appreciated. deb

    > What it means is go buy a legal copy of the XP O/S, configure the
    > BIOS to boot from the CD, and do an upgrade over the top of the
    > existing O/S laying/installing the O/S over the top of itself. The
    > upgrade over the top, will not destroy existing programs or settings.
    > However, you will need to apply/install the service pack and any hot
    > fixes to the O/S as those are lost.
    >
    > Duane :)

    She may HAVE a legal copy of the OS. But, like many OEM systems, she may
    only have "recovery" discs. If she were to "borrow" a CD from a family
    member or neighbor or friend, she could do the repair like this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555531/en-us

    Toolman Tim, Jul 30, 2006
  4. dingalingdeb

    Ben Myers Guest

    See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310994
    about creating a set of Windows XP boot disks. Microsoft says 6
    floppies are needed, but you may be able to get by with reusing the
    same one over and over, provided you make a copy of "ntfs.sys" from
    disk #5 before creating disk #6. Start the problem computer with the
    floppies, press "r", log onto Windows XP, insert a floppy containing
    the "ntfs.sys" file you copied, then type
    "copy a:\ntfs.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers" and press "Enter".
    You may have to change the "copy " command line if Windows is
    installed in a directory other than "c:\windows". Don't forget to
    remove the floppy before restarting.

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Jul 31, 2006
  5. dingalingdeb

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310994
    > about creating a set of Windows XP boot disks. Microsoft says 6
    > floppies are needed, but you may be able to get by with reusing the
    > same one over and over, provided you make a copy of "ntfs.sys" from
    > disk #5 before creating disk #6.

    VERY cool trick! I hadn't thought about that.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 31, 2006
  6. dingalingdeb

    ProfGene Guest

    dingalingdeb wrote:
    > I have no idea what to do or how these things are related. On my other
    > computer, windows xp a thing came up saying that the virus protector Avast!
    > had expired and did I want to .... get a new key good for another 14 months,
    > or update (or something like that) - I clicked on 'get a new key' and then
    > clicked 'ok' Then the screen went blank and 'this' came up: 'Windows could
    > not start because the following file is missing or corrupt System
    > 32\Drivers\ntfs.sys You can attempt to repair this file by startin
    > windows setup using the original setup CD - ROM Well, I didn't have the
    > original and had a disk the guy gave us the last time that the computer was
    > in the shop and called 'backup' so I put the disk in and a little something
    > happens to where it says: Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair -
    > what first screen? nothing else happens and I haven't a clue what to do. Any
    > help would be much appreciated.
    >
    > deb

    If you don't have the original disk then the only thing to try is boot
    up to the safe mode by hitting f8 and see if you can restore to an
    earlier time when the computer worked because if that doesn't work and
    Windows is corrupted to the point where you cannot do anything you will
    need a copy of Windows to reinstall the operating system.

    ProfGene, Jul 31, 2006
  7. dingalingdeb

    dingalingdeb Guest

    Thanks all for your help. You'll nver believe what happened. I'd shut the
    computer down (had done it a few times while messing with it when I hoped I
    could somehow fix it) and then last night hubby turned it on and it worked!
    leaving me scratching my head. Happy that it did, but wonder why? how?
    Anyway,since th whole thing started over it's telling me that Avast! had
    expired., I'm thinking of changing my virus protector - using AVG - I 'will'
    have to do something, won't I? I thought I'd try installing AVG 'before'
    deleting Avast.... I"m scared to try to do 'anything' in case it goes
    haywire again. Any suggestions?

    dingaling deb

    dingalingdeb, Aug 1, 2006
  8. dingalingdeb

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-08-01, dingalingdeb <> wrote:
    > Thanks all for your help. You'll nver believe what happened. I'd shut the
    > computer down (had done it a few times while messing with it when I hoped I
    > could somehow fix it) and then last night hubby turned it on and it worked!
    > leaving me scratching my head. Happy that it did, but wonder why? how?
    > Anyway,since th whole thing started over it's telling me that Avast! had
    > expired., I'm thinking of changing my virus protector - using AVG - I 'will'
    > have to do something, won't I? I thought I'd try installing AVG 'before'
    > deleting Avast.... I"m scared to try to do 'anything' in case it goes
    > haywire again. Any suggestions?

    Just allow Avast to update it's database. It updates almost daily, which
    is good. AVG is not nearly as good, IMO.

    [snip]

    --
    A language that doesn't have everything is actually easier to program
    in than some that do. -- Dennis M. Ritchie

    Jimchip, Aug 1, 2006
  9. dingalingdeb

    Toolman Tim Guest

    dingalingdeb wrote:
    > Thanks all for your help. You'll nver believe what happened. I'd shut
    > the computer down (had done it a few times while messing with it when
    > I hoped I could somehow fix it) and then last night hubby turned it
    > on and it worked! leaving me scratching my head. Happy that it did,
    > but wonder why? how? Anyway,since th whole thing started over it's
    > telling me that Avast! had expired., I'm thinking of changing my
    > virus protector - using AVG - I 'will' have to do something, won't I?
    > I thought I'd try installing AVG 'before' deleting Avast.... I"m
    > scared to try to do 'anything' in case it goes haywire again. Any
    > suggestions?

    Leave the AV alone - it's very unlikely that Avast (or any other AV program)
    would have caused this problem.

    I'd be much more worried about the integrity of the files on the hard drive.
    You should seriously consider running chkdsk /f from a command prompt or
    recovery console to be certain that the hard drive isn't beginning to have
    faults.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 2, 2006
  10. dingalingdeb wrote:

    > Anyway,since th whole thing started over it's telling me that Avast!
    > had expired.,

    Avast Free expires every fourteen months. Just re-register it at their
    web site, and paste in the new key from the email you get.

    Painless. And nothing to do with your other problem.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 2, 2006
  11. dingalingdeb

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-08-02, Beauregard T. Shagnasty <> wrote:
    > dingalingdeb wrote:
    >
    >> Anyway,since th whole thing started over it's telling me that Avast!
    >> had expired.,

    > Avast Free expires every fourteen months. Just re-register it at their
    > web site, and paste in the new key from the email you get.
    >
    > Painless. And nothing to do with your other problem.

    Oh :) I thought they had the updates turned off. I haven't used Avast
    long enough to have the re-register problemo.

    Jimchip, Aug 2, 2006
  12. dingalingdeb

    dingalingdeb Guest

    Well, I spoke too soon - it crashed again. As for letting avast update - it
    wasn't what it was doing - I don't quite remember how it went but the
    thingie came up and asked whether I wanted to update (because it was
    expiring) or ? add to what I had and have to pay a fee. I tried to click on
    the 'just update it' one and it wouldn't do anything and then it crashed. I
    dunno. .. I'm going to try putting the disk in again (not an original) oh
    and I was wondering - could I use the startup disk from my laptop windows xp
    (the big computer is windows xp) would that maybe work?

    deb

    dingalingdeb, Aug 6, 2006
  13. dingalingdeb

    dingalingdeb Guest

    I'm sorry Tim - I'm a total dunce with computers, other than simple things,
    I don't know how to run chk/dsk from a prompt - unless you mean just doing
    'start/run/chk/dsk' and I don't know where the recovery console is???

    deb

    dingalingdeb, Aug 6, 2006
  14. dingalingdeb

    dingalingdeb Guest

    Well ya, but I'd only installed it 2 months ago...

    deb

    dingalingdeb, Aug 6, 2006
  15. dingalingdeb

    dingalingdeb Guest

    me either - I just installed it a couple months ago...

    deb

    dingalingdeb, Aug 6, 2006
  16. dingalingdeb wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:
    >> dingalingdeb wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anyway,since th whole thing started over it's telling me that Avast!
    >>> had expired.,

    >> Avast Free expires every fourteen months. Just re-register it at
    >> their web site, and paste in the new key from the email you get.
    >>
    >> Painless. And nothing to do with your other problem.

    > Well ya, but I'd only installed it 2 months ago...

    Then all I can suggest is you take the computer to a professional.

    And please don't top-post.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 6, 2006
  17. dingalingdeb

    Toolman Tim Guest

    dingalingdeb wrote:
    > I'm sorry Tim - I'm a total dunce with computers, other than simple
    > things, I don't know how to run chk/dsk from a prompt - unless you
    > mean just doing 'start/run/chk/dsk'

    Close: Start, Run, cmd <enter>, chkdsk /f <enter>.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 7, 2006