    is this location accessiable with Windows Explorer?

    Thanks in advance.

    SB
    SB, Jul 29, 2007

  2. SB

    John Bean Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 08:12:09 -0700, SB
    <> wrote:
    >I am new to Olympus Master and I have transfered a number of pictures
    >from my camera to computer using the Olympus Master software. Once
    >transfered, where on the C drive are the pictures actually stored and
    >is this location accessiable with Windows Explorer?

    They go wherever you set in the "Default Transfer
    Destination" under "Options". If you haven't changed it
    you'll see where the default is for your setup, probably a
    folder inside "My Pictures" if you're on Windows XP.

    Incidentally *all* locations are accessible to Explorer ;-)

    --
    John Bean
    John Bean, Jul 29, 2007

  3. SB

    jeffy_j Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 16:31:27 +0100, John Bean <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 08:12:09 -0700, SB
    ><> wrote:
    >>I am new to Olympus Master and I have transfered a number of pictures
    >>from my camera to computer using the Olympus Master software. Once
    >>transfered, where on the C drive are the pictures actually stored and
    >>is this location accessiable with Windows Explorer?

    >They go wherever you set in the "Default Transfer
    >Destination" under "Options". If you haven't changed it
    >you'll see where the default is for your setup, probably a
    >folder inside "My Pictures" if you're on Windows XP.
    >
    >Incidentally *all* locations are accessible to Explorer ;-)

    OT:

    For all intents and purposes you are correct, but not *all* locations. I once
    was called to help clean up a friend-of-a-friend's computer that was badly
    infested with spyware. After getting rid of all the spyware and trojans I
    happened to glance over during a much too lengthy defrag routine and noticed
    some oddly named files being moved to an oddly named windows system folder. (I
    use some high-speed defrag utilities that let you see what is happening.) I
    found it was storing more than 80,000 files in a folder that I could not see
    from any part of WinXP's operating system. Not even from XP's DOS recovery
    console. I even knew the name of the folder they were in, I noted its name
    during the defrag, but that folder couldn't be seen and couldn't be deleted. I
    couldn't even set its attributes to read-only to lock it out from further
    storage use. I could read its properties and see how much was in it, but that's
    all. I had to boot up with another OS from a low-level utility CD that I use in
    worst-case-scenarios in order to eradicate that invisible folder taking up over
    50 GIGs of space with 80,000+ spyware files. Such are the problems when people
    on high-speed access get their computers infected. It happens large and it
    happens fast. The average person will never know it and will never find what was
    put on their computers.
    jeffy_j, Jul 29, 2007
  4. SB

    John Bean Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 21:41:38 GMT, jeffy_j
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 16:31:27 +0100, John Bean <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 08:12:09 -0700, SB
    >><> wrote:
    >>>I am new to Olympus Master and I have transfered a number of pictures
    >>>from my camera to computer using the Olympus Master software. Once
    >>>transfered, where on the C drive are the pictures actually stored and
    >>>is this location accessiable with Windows Explorer?

    >>They go wherever you set in the "Default Transfer
    >>Destination" under "Options". If you haven't changed it
    >>you'll see where the default is for your setup, probably a
    >>folder inside "My Pictures" if you're on Windows XP.
    >>
    >>Incidentally *all* locations are accessible to Explorer ;-)

    >OT:
    >
    >For all intents and purposes you are correct, but not *all* locations.

    Explorer can access all locations that can be written by
    user-level software, in this case Olympus Master. The answer
    was in the context of the question.

    Malware, rootkits and certain OS-generated special folders
    are another matter altogether but that's of no consequence
    in answer to the OP.

    --
    John Bean
    John Bean, Jul 29, 2007
  5. SB

    Dave Cohen Guest

    jeffy_j wrote:
    > On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 16:31:27 +0100, John Bean <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 08:12:09 -0700, SB
    >> <> wrote:
    >>> I am new to Olympus Master and I have transfered a number of pictures
    >> >from my camera to computer using the Olympus Master software. Once
    >>> transfered, where on the C drive are the pictures actually stored and
    >>> is this location accessiable with Windows Explorer?

    >> They go wherever you set in the "Default Transfer
    >> Destination" under "Options". If you haven't changed it
    >> you'll see where the default is for your setup, probably a
    >> folder inside "My Pictures" if you're on Windows XP.
    >>
    >> Incidentally *all* locations are accessible to Explorer ;-)

    > OT:
    >
    > For all intents and purposes you are correct, but not *all* locations. I once
    > was called to help clean up a friend-of-a-friend's computer that was badly
    > infested with spyware. After getting rid of all the spyware and trojans I
    > happened to glance over during a much too lengthy defrag routine and noticed
    > some oddly named files being moved to an oddly named windows system folder. (I
    > use some high-speed defrag utilities that let you see what is happening.) I
    > found it was storing more than 80,000 files in a folder that I could not see
    > from any part of WinXP's operating system. Not even from XP's DOS recovery
    > console. I even knew the name of the folder they were in, I noted its name
    > during the defrag, but that folder couldn't be seen and couldn't be deleted. I
    > couldn't even set its attributes to read-only to lock it out from further
    > storage use. I could read its properties and see how much was in it, but that's
    > all. I had to boot up with another OS from a low-level utility CD that I use in
    > worst-case-scenarios in order to eradicate that invisible folder taking up over
    > 50 GIGs of space with 80,000+ spyware files. Such are the problems when people
    > on high-speed access get their computers infected. It happens large and it
    > happens fast. The average person will never know it and will never find what was
    > put on their computers.

    I don't imagine the above can be done without the consumed space
    becoming noted. I don't have a partition anywhere near large enough to
    hold 50 Gigs of anything. But you're correct, the average non technical
    user is going to be stumped by this type of problem.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Jul 30, 2007
  6. SB

    SB Guest

    On Jul 29, 4:31 pm, John Bean <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 08:12:09 -0700, SB
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >I am new to Olympus Master and I have transfered a number of pictures
    > >from my camera to computer using the Olympus Master software. Once
    > >transfered, where on the C drive are the pictures actually stored and
    > >is this location accessiable with Windows Explorer?

    > They go wherever you set in the "Default Transfer
    > Destination" under "Options". If you haven't changed it
    > you'll see where the default is for your setup, probably a
    > folder inside "My Pictures" if you're on Windows XP.
    >
    > Incidentally *all* locations are accessible to Explorer ;-)
    >
    > --
    > John Bean

    Thank you for your help with this issue.
    Olympus Master is still a bit of a learning curve for me.

    SB.
    SB, Jul 30, 2007
  7. SB

    chrisssy516

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    I am having this problem with Olympus IB. I can only view my downloaded photo files using the program. When I look in my library, all the files have disappeard, even files I transferred from another camera. When I look at them on IB, the destination folder is shown, but when I check the destinaton folder on windows, it is empty.

    Does anyone know what is going on here? I'm going to return my Olympus camera and give it a horrible rating if the software "steals" my photos and does not let me access them in any way other than IB.
    chrisssy516, Jun 13, 2011