    Home? I don't see the security tab when I right click the file or folder as
    I'm accoustomed to in Win2k.

    TIA

    JustMe, Dec 26, 2004

  2. JustMe

    Billh Guest

    This is some of the stuff they left out of the Home version. But if you
    boot in to safe mode you will have more success with this issue.

    Billh, Dec 26, 2004

  3. JustMe

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Log in as administrator in safe mode...IIRC...

    Toolman Tim, Dec 26, 2004
  4. JustMe

    JustMe Guest

    Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. I'm certainly not going to restart in
    Safe Mode every time I want to manage permissions. XP Home is now homeless.
    Looks like another WinMe trick from Microsoft.

    So now the question is; If I purchase a copy of XP Pro, can I install it as
    an upgrade to XP Homeless and retain my present configuration and OEM
    drivers not installed by Home?

    TIA

    JustMe, Dec 26, 2004
  5. JustMe

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Don't give it up yet...check this page from Microsoft:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

    Toolman Tim, Dec 26, 2004
  6. JustMe

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Sorry - that won't help - it just re-iterates what I already said - must be
    Safe Mode as administrator. I thought there was a way listed to disable the
    simplified sharing.

    I have installed the XP Pro *upgrade* over XP Home with no problems - all
    settings/drivers retained correctly. I don't know if a retail version would
    do that though. Be sure that your upgrade is the same (or higher) service
    pack, or that *will* cause problems, and all service packs and updates will
    need to be applied. If you're at SP1, and can get an upgrade with SP1 or
    SP2, it should go better. If you can't find an upgrade that is the same
    service pack level as your current system, then you can always create a
    slipstreamed CD of your own. I've done it and won't do an install/upgrade
    anymore - the slipstreamed CD has it all...so there's only the really new
    updates for the OS.

    This web site has a program that looks like it makes slipstreaming a breeze:
    http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html

    Toolman Tim, Dec 26, 2004
  7. JustMe

    JustMe Guest

    Thanks Tim, that's what I was afraid of. I'm certainly not going to restart
    in Safe Mode every time I want to manage permissions. XP Home is now Gone.

    So now the question is; If I purchase a copy of XP Pro, can I install it as
    an upgrade to XP Homeless and retain my present configuration and OEM
    drivers not installed by Home? IOW, do I start all over again or can I
    retain existing users and config.?

    TIA

    JustMe, Dec 26, 2004
  8. JustMe

    JustMe Guest

    Thanx Tim, I'll try that in the morning.

    JustMe, Dec 26, 2004
  9. JustMe

    JustMe Guest

    > Sorry - that won't help - it just re-iterates what I already said - must

    be
    > Safe Mode as administrator. I thought there was a way listed to disable

    the
    > simplified sharing.

    Yeah, I looked thru all that including the references to other KB articles
    and couldn't find anything. FWIW, the permissions are part of the file
    system (NTFS) and appear to be there. They're accessable under Safe Mode and
    from the command prompt in the regular GUI as CACLS. This seems to imply
    they're sstill intact, just not implemented in the GUI. ISTM some smart
    programmer would be creating a tweak to fix this and the User Manager
    deficiency.

    > I have installed the XP Pro *upgrade* over XP Home with no problems - all
    > settings/drivers retained correctly. I don't know if a retail version

    would
    > do that though. Be sure that your upgrade is the same (or higher) service
    > pack, or that *will* cause problems, and all service packs and updates

    will
    > need to be applied. If you're at SP1, and can get an upgrade with SP1 or
    > SP2, it should go better. If you can't find an upgrade that is the same
    > service pack level as your current system, then you can always create a
    > slipstreamed CD of your own. I've done it and won't do an install/upgrade
    > anymore - the slipstreamed CD has it all...so there's only the really new
    > updates for the OS.

    AS delivered my system was XP Home w/sp1. Unfortunately, the first thing I
    did was install SP2 and all the critical hotfixes. What I have available is
    an original edition at sp1. It's not an upgrade copy. I also have the MS SP2
    disk from Microsoft. I've done some casual reading on slipstreaming in the
    past year and usually blew it off as more work than it's worth. Course at
    the time I didn't have the incentive to learn how.

    I've been involved with computers for years but I'm not either expert or
    novice. I've never created custom builds or wrote unattended install disks.
    I guess the question is, how much trouble is it to create a slipstreamed
    disk and what do I wind up with? Is the sp interleaved into the installation
    or is it simply a sp1 install followed by sp2?

    > This web site has a program that looks like it makes slipstreaming a

    breeze:
    > http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html

    OK, I;ll take a look at that.

    Thanx Tim.

    JustMe, Dec 27, 2004
  10. JustMe

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "JustMe" <> wrote in message

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > This web site has a program that looks like it makes slipstreaming a
    > breeze:
    > http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html

    <snipped>

    > As delivered my system was XP Home w/sp1. Unfortunately, the first thing I
    > did was install SP2 and all the critical hotfixes. What I have available
    > is
    > an original edition at sp1. It's not an upgrade copy. I also have the MS
    > SP2
    > disk from Microsoft. I've done some casual reading on slipstreaming in the
    > past year and usually blew it off as more work than it's worth. Course at
    > the time I didn't have the incentive to learn how.
    >
    > I've been involved with computers for years but I'm not either expert or
    > novice. I've never created custom builds or wrote unattended install
    > disks.
    > I guess the question is, how much trouble is it to create a slipstreamed
    > disk and what do I wind up with? Is the sp interleaved into the
    > installation
    > or is it simply a sp1 install followed by sp2?

    If you do create a slipstreamed disc, it is a full clean SP2 version. You
    have all the SP2 patches in place on an initial install. As often as I have
    to install the OS on different systems, the slipstreamed CD is best. Now
    that the above website seems to automate the process somewhat, it should
    help for those of us who do re-install frequently (I manage a small office
    network, and fix computers for the co-workers in my spare time.)

    Toolman Tim, Dec 27, 2004
  11. JustMe

    JustMe Guest

    > "JustMe" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > > This web site has a program that looks like it makes slipstreaming a
    > > breeze:
    > > http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html
    > >

    > <snipped>
    > >
    > > As delivered my system was XP Home w/sp1. Unfortunately, the first thing

    > > did was install SP2 and all the critical hotfixes. What I have available
    > > is
    > > an original edition at sp1. It's not an upgrade copy. I also have the MS
    > > SP2
    > > disk from Microsoft. I've done some casual reading on slipstreaming in

    the
    > > past year and usually blew it off as more work than it's worth. Course

    at
    > > the time I didn't have the incentive to learn how.
    > >
    > > I've been involved with computers for years but I'm not either expert or
    > > novice. I've never created custom builds or wrote unattended install
    > > disks.
    > > I guess the question is, how much trouble is it to create a slipstreamed
    > > disk and what do I wind up with? Is the sp interleaved into the
    > > installation
    > > or is it simply a sp1 install followed by sp2?
    > >

    > If you do create a slipstreamed disc, it is a full clean SP2 version. You
    > have all the SP2 patches in place on an initial install. As often as I

    have
    > to install the OS on different systems, the slipstreamed CD is best. Now
    > that the above website seems to automate the process somewhat, it should
    > help for those of us who do re-install frequently (I manage a small office
    > network, and fix computers for the co-workers in my spare time.)

    In searching around for information on the slipstream process I came across
    the following site:
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
    There's a lot of reading but the process is fairly simple even doing it
    manually without the autostream package. I remember attempting this years
    ago and I gave it up as too much work for an occasional package. Of course
    that was before the popular CD writing software could create a bootable
    disk. This can't take more than a couple hours even if I have to learn along
    the way.

    Thanx Again.

    JustMe, Dec 28, 2004