File Extensions

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by WeeWilly, Jul 1, 2004.

  1. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    I have a couple of downloads that have file extensions that aren't
    recognized by my computer.

    1. php
    2. mxp

    The first tries to open with Real Player. It is an MP3 file. When it tries
    to open in Real Player I get a message "There is no software update from
    Real to support this content. When I click on Details I get: "php."

    The second is a zipped file that tries to open as the .mxp

    Another question tied to this is.. I guess my default player is Real
    Player.. kinda took over my computer :)
    Is there a way to change the default player to Windows Media Player or maybe
    something better?

    Is there a more highly recommended player?

    Any help appreciated

    --
    Bill
    WeeWilly, Jul 1, 2004

  2. WeeWilly

    Brian Guest

    "WeeWilly" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > I have a couple of downloads that have file extensions that aren't
    > recognized by my computer.
    >
    > 1. php
    > 2. mxp
    >
    > The first tries to open with Real Player. It is an MP3 file. When it

    tries
    > to open in Real Player I get a message "There is no software update from
    > Real to support this content. When I click on Details I get: "php."
    >
    > The second is a zipped file that tries to open as the .mxp
    >
    > Another question tied to this is.. I guess my default player is Real
    > Player.. kinda took over my computer :)
    > Is there a way to change the default player to Windows Media Player or

    maybe
    > something better?
    >
    > Is there a more highly recommended player?
    >
    > Any help appreciated
    >
    > --
    > Bill

    you are downloading websites! *.php is a sever based script language
    *.mxp is a dreamweaver format (site editor).
    Brian, Jul 1, 2004

  3. WeeWilly

    sethra Guest

    sethra, Jul 1, 2004
  4. WeeWilly

    Max Guest

    In article <>, WeeWilly
    <> wrote:

    > I have a couple of downloads that have file extensions that aren't
    > recognized by my computer.
    >
    > 1. php
    > 2. mxp

    You have to have software that can use that kind of file, and then you
    have to make the association between the file and the program.

    > The first tries to open with Real Player. It is an MP3 file.

    What makes you think so?
    If it were a real MP3 file, then you should change the filename to
    ..mp3, of course. Until the filename fits the actual content, it won't
    open.

    > The second is a zipped file that tries to open as the .mxp

    Why do you think it is zipped? Usually, a file compressed by that
    compression type would have .ZIP as the extension, since that is the
    main way you would know such a thing.
    Or, put another way -- you don't GUESS what kind of content a file has.
    The extension tells the OS and tells you what it is supposed to be.

    > Another question tied to this is.. I guess my default player is Real
    > Player.. kinda took over my computer :)

    When you install new software, it typically will set itself as the
    default program for the file types it knows how to use. That's proper,
    since normally you install software because you are going to use it.

    > Is there a way to change the default player to Windows Media Player or maybe
    > something better?

    You simply assign the types you want to use another program.
    Max, Jul 1, 2004
  5. WeeWilly

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "WeeWilly" <> wrote in news:10e8blgip4kv539
    @corp.supernews.com:

    > I have a couple of downloads that have file extensions that aren't
    > recognized by my computer.
    >
    > 1. php

    PHP is a web based programming language. If you saved a PHP file, it will
    basically look like HTML. If you meant to save something else, but got a
    php file, the webserver is misconfigured.
    Jim Berwick, Jul 1, 2004