File Extension Mystery

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ken, May 29, 2006.

  1. Ken

    Ken Guest

    I'm the guy who was having trouble with the file name change, and thanks
    to you guys I got it worked out. Several months ago my next door
    computer 'guru' was trying to fix a non problem and un-hid a mass of
    files by mistake. This affected the 'Folder Ops hide extension' pick. I
    enabled 'hide' and all was ok. Here's the mystery.
    Now this mystery may or may not have anything to do with my friend's
    "fix": I use my old computer to scan prints and then send the pic to my
    new comp as a jpg attachment. When I open it on the new comp, it says
    -jpg- up in the right hand corner. I filed two copies of this pic. I
    then accessed this file through an old Olympus program to crop and size
    the pic. For test purposes, I sized one at 600 pixels, the other at 800
    pixels, so I have two copies of the same pic, different sizes. When I
    access the sized pics, the first one sized comes with a jpg extension,
    the second comes with a jpeg extension. I can't figure why or where the
    'e' is being inserted, but I can't get rid of it. Now, any time I file
    this pic, it always takes on the jpeg extension, even though it says jpg
    on the received mail. Something happend between the first sizing and the
    second, and is now permanent. There is no provision in the Olympus prog
    to change the file ext. What happened??? Ken

    Ken, May 29, 2006

  2. Ken

    beenthere Guest

    "Ken" <> wrote in message
    > I'm the guy who was having trouble with the file name change, and thanks
    > to you guys I got it worked out. Several months ago my next door computer
    > 'guru' was trying to fix a non problem and un-hid a mass of files by
    > mistake. This affected the 'Folder Ops hide extension' pick. I enabled
    > 'hide' and all was ok. Here's the mystery.
    > Now this mystery may or may not have anything to do with my friend's
    > "fix": I use my old computer to scan prints and then send the pic to my
    > new comp as a jpg attachment. When I open it on the new comp, it
    > says -jpg- up in the right hand corner. I filed two copies of this pic. I
    > then accessed this file through an old Olympus program to crop and size
    > the pic. For test purposes, I sized one at 600 pixels, the other at 800
    > pixels, so I have two copies of the same pic, different sizes. When I
    > access the sized pics, the first one sized comes with a jpg extension, the
    > second comes with a jpeg extension. I can't figure why or where the 'e' is
    > being inserted, but I can't get rid of it. Now, any time I file this pic,
    > it always takes on the jpeg extension, even though it says jpg on the
    > received mail. Something happend between the first sizing and the second,
    > and is now permanent. There is no provision in the Olympus prog to change
    > the file ext. What happened??? Ken

    Just in passing Ken, have a read here.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG

    Perhaps your software is the culprit.

    beenthere, May 29, 2006

  3. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Good read, but mostly beyond me. So I guess either jpg or jpeg will do
    as an extension? I still don't understand how I can start off with jpg
    and end up with jpeg. How do these ext get assigned? This is real
    trouble on eBay when you're calling for jpg and the ext is jpeg in your
    directory. I just called for jpeg and it worked fine. Never had this
    happen before. Ken

    Ken, May 29, 2006
  4. Ken

    Guest

    Ken <> wrote:

    |>I'm the guy who was having trouble with the file name change, and thanks
    |>to you guys I got it worked out. Several months ago my next door
    |>computer 'guru' was trying to fix a non problem and un-hid a mass of
    |>files by mistake. This affected the 'Folder Ops hide extension' pick. I
    |>enabled 'hide' and all was ok. Here's the mystery.
    |> Now this mystery may or may not have anything to do with my friend's
    |>"fix": I use my old computer to scan prints and then send the pic to my
    |>new comp as a jpg attachment. When I open it on the new comp, it says
    |>-jpg- up in the right hand corner. I filed two copies of this pic. I
    |>then accessed this file through an old Olympus program to crop and size
    |>the pic. For test purposes, I sized one at 600 pixels, the other at 800
    |>pixels, so I have two copies of the same pic, different sizes. When I
    |>access the sized pics, the first one sized comes with a jpg extension,
    |>the second comes with a jpeg extension. I can't figure why or where the
    |>'e' is being inserted, but I can't get rid of it. Now, any time I file
    |>this pic, it always takes on the jpeg extension, even though it says jpg
    |>on the received mail. Something happend between the first sizing and the
    |>second, and is now permanent. There is no provision in the Olympus prog
    |>to change the file ext. What happened??? Ken

    First don't blame you friend for something that happens months down
    the line - it happens all the time do a little work on a computer and
    any bug from then on is now your fault.

    As mention'd Jpeg and Jpg are the same, when you save the file you are
    given options of what format to save as make sure you use JPG -Tho I
    use ACDSee and my save option is "Jpg - Jpeg"; it is dependant upon
    your software.

    --
    http://www.crazyhamzters.com/flash/cunningstunt.html

    , May 29, 2006
  5. Ken

    thanatoid Guest

    wrote in

    > Ken <> wrote:
    >
    >|>I'm the guy who was having trouble with the file name
    >|>change, and thanks to you guys I got it worked out.

    <SNIP>

    >When I open it
    >|>on the new comp, it says -jpg- up in the right hand
    >|>corner.

    When Windows (supposedly) stopped being dependent on the 8.3
    file naming format, some software manufacturers decided to use
    the extension jpeg since they figured we were too dumb to
    remember jpg stands for jpeg. Some use "jpe". All 3 files are
    IDENTICAL.

    The extension could be "jpegbooger" AFAIK.

    I like "jpg" so I usually rename all the diff. extensions to
    that using a real file manager (ie not Windows Explorer. But I
    am just a little, you know...).

    Possibly, if you screw around with the "options" setting for
    different file types (unless you get a special program WE *IS*
    unfortunately the only place you can do it in) you can set jpg,
    jpe, jpeg to be the "same file type" with same icon and possibly
    even manage to make them all be called jpg. But I'm not sure. If
    you have time, you can pay around with it.

    Generally, I just consider it a little annoyance (of the
    millions of annoyances of various sizes Windows provides us
    with).

    --
    thanatoid-TipĀ® #23
    You can have sex for free or pay for it. Paying for it is a lot

    thanatoid, May 29, 2006
  6. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Thanks, all. Ken