    What programme should I point Windows to for running .exe
    self-extracting files?

    Thanks in advance,

    MrsBeebleBrock, Aug 8, 2003

  2. On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 18:24:30 +1200, MrsBeebleBrock
    <> wrote:

    >Hi, I've downloaded the Shockwave installer for Netscape 7.1 but it's
    >got itself a .htm personality during the download process and Winzip is
    >trying to deal with it.
    >
    >The file extension is still .exe, but when I try to run it, Winzip
    >muscles in. I've uninstalled Winzip and so Windows now asks what
    >programme to use.
    >
    >What programme should I point Windows to for running .exe
    >self-extracting files?
    >
    >Thanks in advance,

    None they extract all by them selves, masy be you dnloaded a Virus.

    Use a right click and save as.

    Robert Mathews, Aug 8, 2003

  3. "MrsBeebleBrock" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I've downloaded the Shockwave installer for Netscape 7.1 but it's
    > got itself a .htm personality during the download process and Winzip is
    > trying to deal with it.

    Are you sure it was an actual download and not some activex thingy for
    Internet Explorer? You have to jump through hoops on their website to get an
    actual program to download. Try re-downloading it through Internet Explorer,
    and disable all download managers.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 8, 2003
  4. Hi Guys, no Netscape does this to all files I download. Zip files work
    fine, but anything that is .exe or .pdf or .doc etc it tries to open in
    a separate window because it automatically marks them as .htm.

    I thought the latest version of 7.1 would have dealt with this, but
    seemingly not.

    Guess I'll see if there's anyone offering help at the Netscape page. Not
    many of us Netscape users anymore ...

    Thanks,

    MrsBeebleBrock, Aug 8, 2003