File directory size

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by TomerF, Mar 1, 2004.

  1. TomerF

    TomerF Guest

    Hi all,

    I have a strange question.
    I've recently installed a checkPoint VPN appliance in our office so
    the boss can see the files from home.
    We have this really BIG directory with about 4000 files that are
    allways there,
    which we can't devide into sub-directories because of the type of work
    we do.
    Anyway, when I connect through the VPN, it takes the computer about 5
    minutes to show me the list. the list is of ms-Word files, opening a
    file is almost instant (since no file is bigger then a few hundrend
    Kb's even less).
    the question is why getting the list takes so much time? is there a
    way to change the way the network transfer this information so it will
    be quicker? (after all, if I'd send the list into a txt file, like dir
    >file:eek:ut.txt then the txt file would be a few hundrends of Kb's..

    no?)

    What to do?

    Thanks!
    Tomer.