file copy problems

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Matt, Feb 3, 2005.

  1. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Hi,

    I've got a pc, a laptop and a Linksys wireless router. The pc is wired and
    the laptop is wireless and both running XP Pro sp2. Both access the internet
    ok but I can't copy files from one pc to the other.
    I've shared the folders on both as Full.
    If I copy a file (MyFile) from the laptop to the pc, it starts to copy then
    errors "Cannot copy MyFile: Invalid File Handle". But occasionally it does
    manage to copy part of it, but its corrupt.
    If I copy from pc to laptop it says "Cannot copy MyFile: Access is denied"
    I've also tried disabling norton av/firewall and windows firewall on both
    but makes no difference.

    Any suggestions? I'm new to wireless so I must be doimg something wrong.
    I've never had this problem with wired.

    Thanks,

    Matt.

    Matt, Feb 3, 2005

  2. Matt

    Chuck Guest

    On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 19:52:52 GMT, "Matt" <9.co.ku> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I've got a pc, a laptop and a Linksys wireless router. The pc is wired and
    >the laptop is wireless and both running XP Pro sp2. Both access the internet
    >ok but I can't copy files from one pc to the other.
    >I've shared the folders on both as Full.
    >If I copy a file (MyFile) from the laptop to the pc, it starts to copy then
    >errors "Cannot copy MyFile: Invalid File Handle". But occasionally it does
    >manage to copy part of it, but its corrupt.
    >If I copy from pc to laptop it says "Cannot copy MyFile: Access is denied"
    >I've also tried disabling norton av/firewall and windows firewall on both
    >but makes no difference.
    >
    >Any suggestions? I'm new to wireless so I must be doimg something wrong.
    >I've never had this problem with wired.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Matt.

    Matt,

    This article references Windows 2000. Windows 2000 is Windows NT V5.0, and
    Windows XP is Windows NT V5.1, so this may apply:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=284247

    Your access denied error could have several causes.

    On any XP Pro computer, check to see if Simple File Sharing (Control Panel -
    Folder Options - View - Advanced settings) is enabled or disabled. With XP Pro,
    you need to have SFS properly set on each computer.

    On XP Pro with SFS disabled, check the Local Security Policies (Control Panel -
    Administrative Tools). Under Local Policies - Security Options, look at
    "Network access: Sharing and security model", and ensure it's set to "Classic -
    local users authenticate as themselves".

    On XP Pro with SFS disabled, if you set the above Local Security Policy to
    "Guest only", enable the Guest account, using Start - Run - "cmd" - type "net
    user guest /active:yes" in the command window. If "Classic", setup and use a
    common non-Guest account on all computers. Whichever account is used, give it
    an identical, non-blank password on all computers.

    On XP Pro with Simple File Sharing enabled, make sure that the Guest account is
    enabled, on each computer. Enable Guest, with Start - Run - "cmd", then type
    "net user guest /active:yes" in the command window. Ensure that the password
    for Guest is blank, with Start - Run - "control userpasswords2"; select Guest,
    click Reset Password, click OK without entering a new password.

    On XP Pro, if you're going to use Guest authentication, check your Local
    Security Policy (Control Panel - Administrative Tools) - User Rights Assignment,
    on the XP Pro computer, and look at "Deny access to this computer from the
    network". Make sure Guest is not in the list. Look at "Access this computer
    from the network", and make sure that Everyone is in this list.

    With Norton Personal Firewall, disabling may not be a good solution. You'll
    need to either enable and configure it, or un install it following procedures
    from Symantec. Symantec products are known for complicated un installs. Also,
    try enabling the File and Printer Sharing exception in Windows Firewall.

    And Matt, please check the clock on your computer. It's now 15:00 GMT. I don't
    think you actually posted your problem at 19:52 GMT.

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck

    Chuck, Feb 4, 2005