    everything is pushed out of ram, and nothing else gets any processor time

    Any help would be apprieciated
    Yahooadam
    Madness, Mar 10, 2008

  2. See the thread entitled "XP x64 - starved for RAM when handling large
    files?" I started on the first of this month. Are the symptoms similar to
    what I've described?
    Homer J. Simpson, Mar 10, 2008

  3. This sounds suspiciously like http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920739/en-us
    for which there is a patch for Windows 2003. You may want to look at the
    cache counters in perfmon while this is occurring. If this is the same
    issue, call PSS see if MS has or is working on a similar patch for XP.

    John Fullbright, Mar 10, 2008
  4. Madness

    Madness Guest

    This does sound very similar/the same

    I tried updating my drivers last night; however this doesn’t appear to have
    made any difference

    I’ve run HDTach on the drives and they appear to be going at the right
    speed, in-fact I even timed the file copy, and it wasn’t overly slow.

    However, because it pushes everything out of ram, everything else stops, and
    if you try and do 2 file copy’s at the same time the machine won’t really do
    anything, and the copy’s take an exponential amount of time longer

    Yahooadam

    Madness, Mar 11, 2008
  5. Madness

    Madness Guest

    That problem does sound very much the same

    What do you mean by "You may want to look at the cache counters in perfmon
    while this is occurring" (i assume something in taskmanager -> performance)

    Where would i find the numbers for PSS?

    Thanks for the help
    Yahooadam

    Madness, Mar 11, 2008
  6. cache - lazt write flushes, lazy write pages, data flushes, data flush
    pages.
    memory - page faults/sec

    You're looking for "For example, if you are copying a file that is 1 GB, 500
    MB of the file is copied to the cache before the Cache Manager starts
    flushing the dirty pages. Flushing 500 MB of dirty pages causes several page
    faults. These page faults must be committed to the disk. When this occurs,
    it can cause bottlenecks on slow disks."

    John Fullbright, Mar 11, 2008
  7. Start run perfmon. Click the "+" to add counters.

    John Fullbright, Mar 11, 2008
  8. Madness

    Madness Guest

    Cheers for the instructions

    When idle, i have about 20 Page Faults, up to about 100

    When i copied a 4.5gb file, it jumped to 2.5k up to about 3k

    Im guessing this is probably my problem then?

    (Sorry for taking so long to respond, but ive been quite busy)

    Cheers
    Yahooadam

    Madness, Mar 29, 2008
  9. Madness

    Madness Guest

    Oh, also, the Pages/sec are about 12-15k

    Madness, Mar 29, 2008
  10. This looks like the same problem indeed. I would contact ms and see if they
    have a similar hotfix in the works for XP.

    John

    John Fullbright, Mar 30, 2008
  11. Madness

    Guest

    On Mar 10, 7:20 am, "Homer J. Simpson" <r...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    > See the thread entitled "XP x64 - starved for RAM when handling large
    > files?" I started on the first of this month. Are the symptoms similar to
    > what I've described?

    I had a slightly different problem. I have a partition on my X64 PC
    that is about 50Gbytes with maybe a million files. The files
    themselves are small. I tried to copy from my X64 PC to my notebook
    (win2kpro). It started fine but eventually came to a crawl. I never
    did figure out the problem. Rather than get elegant, I pulled the HD
    from the notebook and hooked it up to the X64 machine. I thought maybe
    it was a network issue. Well, it still bogged down. Finally, I just
    put the Partition Commander CD in my X64 box, booted from the CD, and
    did the copy with Partition Commander. It was about as fast as the
    drive could handle it.
    , Mar 30, 2008
  12. Madness

    Madness Guest

    Hey

    ive been trying to work out how to contact Microsoft without paying lots of
    money (they want like £45)

    This is from here
    https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-gb&prid=8761&gprid=299336

    im part of the MSDNAA i believe (if that helps me contact them) and im using
    a copy of windows XPx64 supplied through there (by my university)

    for XPx32 you get 2 free support requests, but apparently not for x64

    If you could point me in the direction of somewhere i can contact them, it
    would really help me

    Yahooadam

    Madness, Apr 29, 2008
  13. The bits are the same between the qfe and XP 64 bit. I'll try and get
    someone from MS to verify that works (it likely hasn't been tested on XP
    64bit)

    John Fullbright, May 2, 2008
  14. Madness

    Madness Guest

    I tried the xp32bit support, but when i put in my 64bit serial number its
    rejected (cos its 64bit)

    If you can get any answers out of Microsoft, i would most appreciate it

    Thanks
    Yahooadam

    Madness, May 2, 2008