FILE COPY CORRUPTION on Windows XP x64 PRO ?!?!?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Skybuck Flying, Oct 30, 2009.

  1. Hello,

    My personal computer is experiencing corruption ?!

    At least according to WinRar351.exe

    There are file disk images inside a WinRar file... 5.1 GB or so
    uncompressed.

    I copy many of these big WinRar files... from hd-to-same-hd...

    And then I test it... with WinRar's "test" function.

    I reports CORRUPTION after a couple of tests.

    I am not sure what to make if this...

    This could mean:

    1. My harddisk is damaged and slowly dieing/getting corrupted.
    2. The file system is fucked.
    3. Explorer is fucked.
    Or worst of all:
    4. Windows XP x64 Pro updates FUCKED IT.

    Please try and do the following:

    1. Make some big files.
    2. Compress them with WinRar.
    3. Copy them around your harddisk.
    4. Test them with WinRar (preferably winrar351.exe)

    WHAT ARE YOUR RESULTS ?!

    For now I will assume my Harddisk is FUCKED.

    But if I am wrong we Windows XP x64 Pro USERS ARE ALL FUCKED ?!

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Oct 30, 2009

  2. HOLYSHIT.

    I just wrote a brand new file comparision tool... to be 100% sure that the
    code is good.

    And the corruption IS REAL !

    OH OH.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Oct 30, 2009

  3. I did one last check:

    1. I reboot the PC to make sure it's not some corruption in the file system
    cache.

    2. Re-run the compare files tool, same position pops up: 316.802.701

    Unless other people have the same offset/position as damaged then it's
    probably just a problem with one of my hd-disks...

    Big shit though... this means I will have to stop using my "Dream PC" which
    can now be rightfully called "Nightmare PC" until I get new harddisks...
    this also means the Antec 1200 case could be risky... especially when
    cleaning dustfilters while hd's are on... this could also mean placing tower
    on table is bad because of bumps against table or so... which might kill
    hd's ?! BIG SHIT... can't place PC on ground because of dust.

    Only solution is to make a remote computer... in a far away location from
    me... so it wouldn't be affected by dust... or bangs... then I would need
    super long monitor cable... to be able to work with the damn thing...

    This could be a bit dangerous such a long monitor cable... alternatively...

    I could place pc on a seperate table which could take care of most bangs
    probably... it would still be a bit risky... and bang sensitive if I bang
    against other table...

    It could also be a matter of high usage... maybe Microsofts ! flight
    simulator x had a little bit to do with it.. it has a huge load of files and
    places extra stress on the file system which is bad. I recently deleted it
    to get rid of it and its load on file system... to late now... this kinda
    sucks...

    I am also surprised the harddisk doesn't mark it as a bad sector... maybe
    it's already way passed being able to divert to unused space... this could
    be a bad sign...

    Maybe it's not the hd that's bad... maybe it's just windows corrupted user
    account but I doubt it somehow...

    Smart thing to do would be to get new hd's copy the whole motherfucker... do
    a file by file... byte by byte comparision to know if everything was copied
    properly... this gonna take a bitching long time but ok...

    As long as I don't delete and put anything new on the disk it should be ok.
    I hope...

    So far it seems C: drive is fucked... maybe D: drive still ok.

    I guessed I made that data backup just in time ! I was about due... and the
    user account corruption was also a bad sign... so I thought I better make
    that backup just in case... and not a moment to late it seems !

    Anyway this does prove that windows is good at detecting corruption even if
    it's in weird ways... as long as the user "listens" to the system and pays
    attention and is sensitive and googles around this will become apperent...

    Windows update was failing which was the first sign of trouble. Somebody
    mention user account corruption which was the second sign of trouble ?!? or
    maybe primary cause... me not sure yet...

    Ram trouble can probably be ruled out... since after fresh reboot... same
    location would be unlikely...

    Winrar bug can be ruled out... definetly not winrar bug.

    Scary !

    Now I run the risk of losing my whole system which took years to build and
    gather ?! Shitty ?!

    I don't want that to happen even if Windows is sometimes a piece of shit ;)
    :) It mostly works ok. Just sometimes explorer.exe hangs... and shit like
    that... 99% statisfcation... 1% annoyances... SHIT.

    So much trouble with this pc it's fricking unbelievable... but then again
    this is the first PC which I spent day and night behind it... so sooner or
    later something gonna pop up... To bad it has to happen/end like this lol.

    To all "good ?" things come an end I guess... I had 3 years of fun with
    it...

    1. with at least two bad motherboard deaths...
    2. one graphics card had to be removed/overheat...
    3. gigaworks s750 death.
    4. memory ram chip death.
    5. pc case replacement was needed
    6. cpu fan replacement was needed. original was too loudy..
    7. paste shit needed/
    8. new mouse needed.

    Even motherboard started to wear and tear... at least three letters gone
    lol.

    Shit you may call me a heavy user... the mother/dad of all son of bitches :)

    Sucks being me... LOL but only during these situations... otherwise it s
    rocking the cradle.

    I wonder what is next to die ?

    My monitor ? pls not my monitor... if my 1000 euro bux monitor dies I am
    going to jump of the building but not really ofcourse... everything dies
    sometime... but it's painfull expensive to die ! ;)

    Big fucking shit. Now I have to go back to my pentoum 3... me very glad I
    still have it...

    It has saved me three times before and now it will save me again... Holyshit
    !

    Shit shit shit shit shit shit shit I hate being on that thing it's so damn
    slow... ****.

    I can forget about youtube video's for a while... especially the hd's one :(

    Oh well.

    Skybuck signing off and facing another death scenerio for now.

    YES TOTAL INSTALLATION/FILE SYSTEM DEATH STARING ME IN THE FACE RIGHT NOW.

    WITH NO SYSTEM BACKUP AVAILABLE !!! OHOHOH
    IT'S TO BIG TO BACKUP ON DVD'S WHICH ARE CRAP ANYWAY.

    I am out of my mind typing this long message... but maybe it not so bad...
    it will be my last one from this PC for a while ! :(((((

    Bye,
    BYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    Skybuck ! ;) =D
    Skybuck Flying, Oct 30, 2009
  4. Skybuck Flying

    David B. Guest

    Well I'll be damned.

    David B., Oct 30, 2009
  5. single bit RAM, no ECC, no buffering plus bloody awful NIC drivers and
    consumer grade HDs., I'd be astonished if it weren't at times.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 30, 2009
  6. Skybuck Flying

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Charlie:
    At least we're not getting questions of why no retail version of XP
    x64 weren't released. In my opinion Windows-7 is what Vista should have
    been, except I still miss Windows Mail, and I had to get used to Office 2007
    when I was still working. Have a great day.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    Win-7 Enterprise x64, Win-7 Professional x64.

    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4559 (20091030) __________

    http://www.eset.com
    Dennis Pack, Oct 30, 2009
  7. Mostly agreed. Though I don't use Office 2007, except Outlook and OneNote.
    All the rest I use Office 2003. Windows Mail? I run it off the Server 2008
    Terminal Server. ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 30, 2009
  8. Skybuck Flying

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Charlie:
    I added Office 2007 because I know you don't prefer it, sorry just
    joking. Is there a download available so that I can run it on Windows Home
    Server to run it from there. I found a couple unsupported patches to convert
    WLM to WM but they create more corruptions than most will realize and that's
    not worth the effort on a running system unless it's a test system that
    isn't registered yet.

    Dennis Pack, Oct 31, 2009
  9. I have been using Windows Mail from Vista in Windows 7 since January!

    --

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP

    Richard Urban, Oct 31, 2009
  10. Skybuck Flying

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Richard:
    How did you install it along side WLM and where did you get the
    file? Have a great day.

    Dennis Pack, Oct 31, 2009
  11. You did notice that I said Windows Mail from Vista. I did not use the
    Windows Mail that comes with Windows 7, as it is dysfunctional.

    Just copy the Windows Mail folder from a Vista installation to a thumb
    drive. In Windows 7, rename the existing Windows Mail folder to Windows Mail
    old. Then copy the Vista version into the Program Files (x86) folder. Create
    a shortcut of the .exe where you wish it to be. Then start using Windows
    Mail.

    If you have a 64 bit version of Windows 7 it would help to copy "both" the
    32 bit and the 64 bit versions from Vista and place them in their respective
    folders within Windows 7. I am using the 64 bit version from Vista at this
    moment!

    Richard Urban, Oct 31, 2009
  12. Skybuck Flying

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Richard:
    Thanks for the reply. The installation worked, I now have WM and WLM
    side by side.

    Dennis Pack, Oct 31, 2009
  13. Yes, Richard. So have I. But it's _not_ a supported scenario, and one I
    prefer to let folks find on their own. ;)

    Now, if I could get it to work cleanly in Server 2008 R2, I'd be a happy
    camper. But still getting minor annoyances I haven't sorted yet.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 31, 2009
  14. I would rather have it unsupported and working than supported and not! (-:

    Richard Urban, Oct 31, 2009
  15. It was memory corruption ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Nov 1, 2009
  16. Remember what my first two comments were? "Single bit RAM, no ECC". ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 2, 2009
  17. I wonder if Microsoft Windows Update does a CRC32 check after applieing
    updates to be sure no corruption occured ?!? (Or any other detection for
    that matter? Or maybe even error correcting codes ?! ;))

    Also failing that how could I verify that my windows is now not corrupt ?!?

    Maybe some "microsoft windows comparision service" might be nice... at least
    for when the system is functioning correctly and is recovering from a
    corruption issue ! ;) :)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Nov 3, 2009