File Comparison method Question.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Aug 1, 2013.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Hi folks. ;-)

    I would like some advice please. I recently bought a USB3 Expresscard for my
    ThinkPad and, after a few teething issues I *think* that I now have it
    working properly.

    What I want to do is move several terrabytes of data around various (USB2
    and 3) external HDDs. It's all got a bit messy over the years and I want to
    sort it out so, if I want a certain file or pic I don't have to hunt through
    several HDDs until I find it. Over the last several years I've accumulated
    over 10TB of external storage (a lot of it consisting of bare SATA drives
    that I sit in a USB2 'dock' [hopefully soon to be upgraded to a USB3 dock]
    to access).

    Once or twice in the past I've been caught out.... I've 'copied' a folder,
    then, if it seems fine (correct file size etc.), I've deleted the source to
    free up space - only to find later that either there are 'empty' or
    corrupted files in the folder. Disaster! (I endeavour to have at least one
    backup of most of my data but the best laid schemes o' mice an' men...)

    As most of these multi-TB HDDs are USB2 this process, while long overdue, is
    going to take me quite a while. What I'd really like is a quick and simple
    'folder comparitor' or similar that will confirm for me (or otherwise) that
    a folder has been successfully copied - so I can then delete the original
    and use that HDD to move other data to. I'd prefer not to have to spend as
    long checking the data as it takes to transfer it (if possible).

    I'm asking here hoping that some kind gentleperson will be able to give me a
    concise and accurate answer (and method?), leaving me free to get on with
    organising the 'filing system'. A quick Google left me confused and
    frustrated.

    Help (pretty) please? I'll love you long time if you can assist me with
    this. <g>
    --
    /Shaun.

    "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]
     
    ~misfit~, Aug 1, 2013
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > On 1/08/2013 5:10 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> I'm asking here hoping that some kind gentleperson will be able to
    >> give me a concise and accurate answer (and method?), leaving me free
    >> to get on with organising the 'filing system'. A quick Google left
    >> me confused and frustrated.

    >
    > Richcopy for the copy and use the verify option.
    >
    > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/magazine/2009.04.utilityspotlight.aspx
    >
    > Winmerge from http://winmerge.org/ for the sanity check.


    Thanks for those mate, grabed 'em now and will read about 'em later. I'm
    going to rest while this ~1TB copies across that I started an hour ago. (I
    think it scared XP, it won't even estimate a time to complete!)

    Best regards,
    --
    /Shaun.

    "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]
     
    ~misfit~, Aug 1, 2013
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    [snip]
    > I'm going to rest while this ~1TB copies across that I started an
    > hour ago. (I think it scared XP, it won't even estimate a time to
    > complete!)


    Ok, three hours in it's now saying 235 minutes to complete. I'm just
    dreading going to bed and getting up to one of those annoying "Are you sure
    you want to move the read-only file blah blah blah" and with still most of
    it to go.

    I should have waited for a reply before starting pehaps?
    --
    /Shaun.

    "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]
     
    ~misfit~, Aug 1, 2013
    #3
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > On 2/08/2013 12:33 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> [snip]
    >>> I'm going to rest while this ~1TB copies across that I started an
    >>> hour ago. (I think it scared XP, it won't even estimate a time to
    >>> complete!)

    >>
    >> Ok, three hours in it's now saying 235 minutes to complete. I'm just
    >> dreading going to bed and getting up to one of those annoying "Are
    >> you sure you want to move the read-only file blah blah blah" and
    >> with still most of it to go.
    >>
    >> I should have waited for a reply before starting pehaps?
    >>

    > Give up, download Richcopy, set it running with all the unconditional
    > options set and then go to bed.


    Yep, that's what I should have done. :-/

    Tonight.

    Thanks again.
    --
    /Shaun.

    "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]
     
    ~misfit~, Aug 2, 2013
    #4
  5. In article <ktebos$ht5$>, EMB <> wrote:
    >On 2/08/2013 12:33 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> [snip]
    >>> I'm going to rest while this ~1TB copies across that I started an
    >>> hour ago. (I think it scared XP, it won't even estimate a time to
    >>> complete!)

    >>
    >> Ok, three hours in it's now saying 235 minutes to complete. I'm just
    >> dreading going to bed and getting up to one of those annoying "Are you sure
    >> you want to move the read-only file blah blah blah" and with still most of
    >> it to go.
    >>
    >> I should have waited for a reply before starting pehaps?
    >>

    >Give up, download Richcopy, set it running with all the unconditional
    >options set and then go to bed.


    Agree - richcopy is very useful (for me, to simply preserve file creation
    dates instead of resetting them).
    Why it doesn't come with windows I don't know. :)
     
    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 4, 2013
    #5
  6. ~misfit~

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <ktmpbi$r5j$>,
    , Bruce Sinclair
    says...
    >
    > In article <ktebos$ht5$>, EMB <> wrote:
    > >On 2/08/2013 12:33 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    > >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    > >> [snip]
    > >>> I'm going to rest while this ~1TB copies across that I started an
    > >>> hour ago. (I think it scared XP, it won't even estimate a time to
    > >>> complete!)
    > >>
    > >> Ok, three hours in it's now saying 235 minutes to complete. I'm just
    > >> dreading going to bed and getting up to one of those annoying "Are you sure
    > >> you want to move the read-only file blah blah blah" and with still most of
    > >> it to go.
    > >>
    > >> I should have waited for a reply before starting pehaps?
    > >>

    > >Give up, download Richcopy, set it running with all the unconditional
    > >options set and then go to bed.

    >
    > Agree - richcopy is very useful (for me, to simply preserve file creation
    > dates instead of resetting them).
    > Why it doesn't come with windows I don't know. :)


    Robocopy *does* come (IIRC) with all versions of Windows 7. But the
    nice Richcopy GUI (that uses robocopy to do the work), does not. (IE
    robocopy is a command line utility - open a command prompt and type
    robocopy to test :) )


    --
    Duncan.
     
    Dave Doe, Aug 5, 2013
    #6
  7. In article <-september.org>, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >In article <ktmpbi$r5j$>,
    >, Bruce Sinclair
    >says...
    >> In article <ktebos$ht5$>, EMB <> wrote:
    >> >On 2/08/2013 12:33 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> >> [snip]
    >> >>> I'm going to rest while this ~1TB copies across that I started an
    >> >>> hour ago. (I think it scared XP, it won't even estimate a time to
    >> >>> complete!)
    >> >> Ok, three hours in it's now saying 235 minutes to complete. I'm just
    >> >> dreading going to bed and getting up to one of those annoying "Are you

    > sure
    >> >> you want to move the read-only file blah blah blah" and with still most of
    >> >> it to go.
    >> >> I should have waited for a reply before starting pehaps?
    >> >Give up, download Richcopy, set it running with all the unconditional
    >> >options set and then go to bed.

    >>
    >> Agree - richcopy is very useful (for me, to simply preserve file creation
    >> dates instead of resetting them).
    >> Why it doesn't come with windows I don't know. :)

    >
    >Robocopy *does* come (IIRC) with all versions of Windows 7. But the
    >nice Richcopy GUI (that uses robocopy to do the work), does not. (IE
    >robocopy is a command line utility - open a command prompt and type
    >robocopy to test :) )


    Some of us are still using XP. :)

    And I can't test whether or not that comes with XP as there's no command
    line access <sigh>. :)
    But thanks for that. :) :)
     
    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 6, 2013
    #7
  8. ~misfit~

    Enkidu Guest

    On 06/08/13 11:21, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <-september.org>,
    > Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >> In article <ktmpbi$r5j$>,
    >> , Bruce Sinclair
    >> says...
    >>> In article <ktebos$ht5$>, EMB <>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>> On 2/08/2013 12:33 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>>>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote: [snip]
    >>>>>> I'm going to rest while this ~1TB copies across that I
    >>>>>> started an hour ago. (I think it scared XP, it won't even
    >>>>>> estimate a time to complete!)
    >>>>> Ok, three hours in it's now saying 235 minutes to complete.
    >>>>> I'm just dreading going to bed and getting up to one of those
    >>>>> annoying "Are you

    >> sure
    >>>>> you want to move the read-only file blah blah blah" and with
    >>>>> still most of it to go. I should have waited for a reply
    >>>>> before starting pehaps?
    >>>> Give up, download Richcopy, set it running with all the
    >>>> unconditional options set and then go to bed.
    >>>
    >>> Agree - richcopy is very useful (for me, to simply preserve file
    >>> creation dates instead of resetting them). Why it doesn't come
    >>> with windows I don't know. :)

    >>
    >> Robocopy *does* come (IIRC) with all versions of Windows 7. But
    >> the nice Richcopy GUI (that uses robocopy to do the work), does
    >> not. (IE robocopy is a command line utility - open a command
    >> prompt and type robocopy to test :) )

    >
    > Some of us are still using XP. :)
    >
    > And I can't test whether or not that comes with XP as there's no
    > command line access <sigh>. :) But thanks for that. :) :)
    >

    Huh?

    ctrl+R, type 'cmd' from memory.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
     
    Enkidu, Aug 6, 2013
    #8
  9. ~misfit~

    Enkidu Guest

    On 06/08/13 19:34, EMB wrote:
    > On 6/08/2013 5:52 p.m., Enkidu wrote:
    >> On 06/08/13 11:21, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    >
    >>> And I can't test whether or not that comes with XP as there's no
    >>> command line access <sigh>. :) But thanks for that. :) :)
    >>>

    >> Huh?
    >>
    >> ctrl+R, type 'cmd' from memory.

    >
    > Not if I locked it down as a corporate image.....
    >

    That's a bit severe.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
     
    Enkidu, Aug 6, 2013
    #9
  10. ~misfit~

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <ktpf53$49h$>,
    , Bruce Sinclair
    says...
    >
    > In article <-september.org>, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > >In article <ktmpbi$r5j$>,
    > >, Bruce Sinclair
    > >says...
    > >> In article <ktebos$ht5$>, EMB <> wrote:
    > >> >On 2/08/2013 12:33 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    > >> >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    > >> >> [snip]
    > >> >>> I'm going to rest while this ~1TB copies across that I started an
    > >> >>> hour ago. (I think it scared XP, it won't even estimate a time to
    > >> >>> complete!)
    > >> >> Ok, three hours in it's now saying 235 minutes to complete. I'm just
    > >> >> dreading going to bed and getting up to one of those annoying "Are you

    > > sure
    > >> >> you want to move the read-only file blah blah blah" and with still most of
    > >> >> it to go.
    > >> >> I should have waited for a reply before starting pehaps?
    > >> >Give up, download Richcopy, set it running with all the unconditional
    > >> >options set and then go to bed.
    > >>
    > >> Agree - richcopy is very useful (for me, to simply preserve file creation
    > >> dates instead of resetting them).
    > >> Why it doesn't come with windows I don't know. :)

    > >
    > >Robocopy *does* come (IIRC) with all versions of Windows 7. But the
    > >nice Richcopy GUI (that uses robocopy to do the work), does not. (IE
    > >robocopy is a command line utility - open a command prompt and type
    > >robocopy to test :) )

    >
    > Some of us are still using XP. :)
    >
    > And I can't test whether or not that comes with XP as there's no command
    > line access <sigh>. :)
    > But thanks for that. :) :)


    I think robocopy (command line util), robocopy GUI and richcopy all work
    on XP - they're all quite old now - pretty sure they were all around
    before Vista/7.

    XP does come with xcopy (command line util) - which has an ignore and
    keep going on error switch. It tends to fall over on really massive
    file copies.

    Google Ycopy, it's not a command line util, very easy to use, and very
    fast.

    Command prompt in XP: Start, Accessories, Command Prompt.

    --
    Duncan.
     
    Dave Doe, Aug 6, 2013
    #10
  11. ~misfit~

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <52008f1c$>, ,
    Enkidu says...
    >
    > On 06/08/13 11:21, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > > In article <-september.org>,
    > > Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > >> In article <ktmpbi$r5j$>,
    > >> , Bruce Sinclair
    > >> says...
    > >>> In article <ktebos$ht5$>, EMB <>
    > >>> wrote:
    > >>>> On 2/08/2013 12:33 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    > >>>>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote: [snip]
    > >>>>>> I'm going to rest while this ~1TB copies across that I
    > >>>>>> started an hour ago. (I think it scared XP, it won't even
    > >>>>>> estimate a time to complete!)
    > >>>>> Ok, three hours in it's now saying 235 minutes to complete.
    > >>>>> I'm just dreading going to bed and getting up to one of those
    > >>>>> annoying "Are you
    > >> sure
    > >>>>> you want to move the read-only file blah blah blah" and with
    > >>>>> still most of it to go. I should have waited for a reply
    > >>>>> before starting pehaps?
    > >>>> Give up, download Richcopy, set it running with all the
    > >>>> unconditional options set and then go to bed.
    > >>>
    > >>> Agree - richcopy is very useful (for me, to simply preserve file
    > >>> creation dates instead of resetting them). Why it doesn't come
    > >>> with windows I don't know. :)
    > >>
    > >> Robocopy *does* come (IIRC) with all versions of Windows 7. But
    > >> the nice Richcopy GUI (that uses robocopy to do the work), does
    > >> not. (IE robocopy is a command line utility - open a command
    > >> prompt and type robocopy to test :) )

    > >
    > > Some of us are still using XP. :)
    > >
    > > And I can't test whether or not that comes with XP as there's no
    > > command line access <sigh>. :) But thanks for that. :) :)
    > >

    > Huh?
    >
    > ctrl+R, type 'cmd' from memory.


    You meant <Win><r>, eh? :)

    --
    Duncan.
     
    Dave Doe, Aug 6, 2013
    #11
  12. ~misfit~

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <5200d0b8$>, ,
    Enkidu says...
    >
    > On 06/08/13 19:34, EMB wrote:
    > > On 6/08/2013 5:52 p.m., Enkidu wrote:
    > >> On 06/08/13 11:21, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > >
    > >>> And I can't test whether or not that comes with XP as there's no
    > >>> command line access <sigh>. :) But thanks for that. :) :)
    > >>>
    > >> Huh?
    > >>
    > >> ctrl+R, type 'cmd' from memory.

    > >
    > > Not if I locked it down as a corporate image.....
    > >

    > That's a bit severe.


    :) - and what IT support are for :)
    (what's joe work user *doing* copying a million files? :) )

    --
    Duncan.
     
    Dave Doe, Aug 6, 2013
    #12
  13. In article <52008f1c$>, Enkidu <> wrote:
    (snip)

    >>
    >> And I can't test whether or not that comes with XP as there's no
    >> command line access <sigh>. :) But thanks for that. :) :)
    >>

    >Huh?
    >
    >ctrl+R, type 'cmd' from memory.


    ... unless ... your corporate has removed that option ? :)

    "The command prompt has been disabled by your administrator".

    Yes, I will try that on a home machine. :)

    Thanks
     
    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 7, 2013
    #13
  14. In article <-september.org>, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >In article <ktpf53$49h$>,
    >, Bruce Sinclair
    >says...
    >> In article <-september.org>, Dave Doe

    > <> wrote:
    >> >In article <ktmpbi$r5j$>,
    >> >, Bruce Sinclair
    >> >says...
    >> >> In article <ktebos$ht5$>, EMB <> wrote:
    >> >> >On 2/08/2013 12:33 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> >> >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> >> >> [snip]
    >> >> >>> I'm going to rest while this ~1TB copies across that I started an
    >> >> >>> hour ago. (I think it scared XP, it won't even estimate a time to
    >> >> >>> complete!)
    >> >> >> Ok, three hours in it's now saying 235 minutes to complete. I'm just
    >> >> >> dreading going to bed and getting up to one of those annoying "Are you
    >> > sure
    >> >> >> you want to move the read-only file blah blah blah" and with still most

    > of
    >> >> >> it to go.
    >> >> >> I should have waited for a reply before starting pehaps?
    >> >> >Give up, download Richcopy, set it running with all the unconditional
    >> >> >options set and then go to bed.
    >> >>
    >> >> Agree - richcopy is very useful (for me, to simply preserve file creation
    >> >> dates instead of resetting them).
    >> >> Why it doesn't come with windows I don't know. :)
    >> >
    >> >Robocopy *does* come (IIRC) with all versions of Windows 7. But the
    >> >nice Richcopy GUI (that uses robocopy to do the work), does not. (IE
    >> >robocopy is a command line utility - open a command prompt and type
    >> >robocopy to test :) )

    >>
    >> Some of us are still using XP. :)
    >>
    >> And I can't test whether or not that comes with XP as there's no command
    >> line access <sigh>. :)
    >> But thanks for that. :) :)

    >
    >I think robocopy (command line util), robocopy GUI and richcopy all work
    >on XP - they're all quite old now - pretty sure they were all around
    >before Vista/7.


    Richcopy certainly does.
     
    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 7, 2013
    #14
  15. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > On 2/08/2013 12:33 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> [snip]
    >>> I'm going to rest while this ~1TB copies across that I started an
    >>> hour ago. (I think it scared XP, it won't even estimate a time to
    >>> complete!)

    >>
    >> Ok, three hours in it's now saying 235 minutes to complete. I'm just
    >> dreading going to bed and getting up to one of those annoying "Are
    >> you sure you want to move the read-only file blah blah blah" and
    >> with still most of it to go.
    >>
    >> I should have waited for a reply before starting pehaps?
    >>

    > Give up, download Richcopy, set it running with all the unconditional
    > options set and then go to bed.


    I've only just got around to doing this - and decided to use my (ageing)
    desktop as, for this copy I'm using one USB2 drive and one USB3 and the
    PCIe -> USB3 card in the desktop seems more reliable than the (also
    DealExtreme-sourced) USB3 Expresscard in the T60. (Although I guess in this
    case I might just as well only use the USB2 ports - although I'm reading
    from 2 and writing to 3 so thought it might be quicker to have the
    destination drive in a USB3 port.)

    It's quite fascinating watching a 'smart' copy utility in action. The
    desktop is running Win 7 Pro and 6GB RAM and I'm copying with Task Manager
    open and watching the 'Performance' tab. (I did this after seeing the
    'Progress' column in RichCopy freeze periodically coinciding with no LED
    activity on the source drive for ~30 seconds.)

    It seems that that progress column actually shows the progress of the /read/
    part of the operation. By watching the activity LEDs on the externals and
    the physical memory in use graph I see that RichCopy is reading in roughly
    1GB chunks from the (USB2) source, storing them in system memory, then
    writing them to the (USB3) destination drive.

    Thanks again for this, it's looking good so far. :)
    --
    /Shaun.

    "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]
     
    ~misfit~, Aug 7, 2013
    #15
  16. ~misfit~

    Enkidu Guest

    On 07/08/13 01:48, Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <52008f1c$>, ,
    > Enkidu says...
    >>
    >> On 06/08/13 11:21, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >>> In article <-september.org>,
    >>> Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >>>> In article <ktmpbi$r5j$>,
    >>>> , Bruce Sinclair
    >>>> says...
    >>>>> In article <ktebos$ht5$>, EMB <>
    >>>>> wrote:
    >>>>>> On 2/08/2013 12:33 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>>>>>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote: [snip]
    >>>>>>>> I'm going to rest while this ~1TB copies across that I
    >>>>>>>> started an hour ago. (I think it scared XP, it won't even
    >>>>>>>> estimate a time to complete!)
    >>>>>>> Ok, three hours in it's now saying 235 minutes to complete.
    >>>>>>> I'm just dreading going to bed and getting up to one of those
    >>>>>>> annoying "Are you
    >>>> sure
    >>>>>>> you want to move the read-only file blah blah blah" and with
    >>>>>>> still most of it to go. I should have waited for a reply
    >>>>>>> before starting pehaps?
    >>>>>> Give up, download Richcopy, set it running with all the
    >>>>>> unconditional options set and then go to bed.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Agree - richcopy is very useful (for me, to simply preserve file
    >>>>> creation dates instead of resetting them). Why it doesn't come
    >>>>> with windows I don't know. :)
    >>>>
    >>>> Robocopy *does* come (IIRC) with all versions of Windows 7. But
    >>>> the nice Richcopy GUI (that uses robocopy to do the work), does
    >>>> not. (IE robocopy is a command line utility - open a command
    >>>> prompt and type robocopy to test :) )
    >>>
    >>> Some of us are still using XP. :)
    >>>
    >>> And I can't test whether or not that comes with XP as there's no
    >>> command line access <sigh>. :) But thanks for that. :) :)
    >>>

    >> Huh?
    >>
    >> ctrl+R, type 'cmd' from memory.

    >
    > You meant <Win><r>, eh? :)
    >

    Yup, but it appears that Bruce is using a crippled machine.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
     
    Enkidu, Aug 7, 2013
    #16
  17. ~misfit~

    Enkidu Guest

    On 07/08/13 01:50, Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <5200d0b8$>, ,
    > Enkidu says...
    >>
    >> On 06/08/13 19:34, EMB wrote:
    >>> On 6/08/2013 5:52 p.m., Enkidu wrote:
    >>>> On 06/08/13 11:21, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>> And I can't test whether or not that comes with XP as there's no
    >>>>> command line access <sigh>. :) But thanks for that. :) :)
    >>>>>
    >>>> Huh?
    >>>>
    >>>> ctrl+R, type 'cmd' from memory.
    >>>
    >>> Not if I locked it down as a corporate image.....
    >>>

    >> That's a bit severe.

    >
    > :) - and what IT support are for :)
    > (what's joe work user *doing* copying a million files? :) )
    >

    Our users would try that using a GUI, so what?

    There's not a lot that you cannot do with a GUI that you can do on the
    command line.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
     
    Enkidu, Aug 7, 2013
    #17
  18. ~misfit~

    Enkidu Guest

    On 07/08/13 11:06, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <52008f1c$>, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > (snip)
    >
    >>>
    >>> And I can't test whether or not that comes with XP as there's no
    >>> command line access <sigh>. :) But thanks for that. :) :)
    >>>

    >> Huh?
    >>
    >> ctrl+R, type 'cmd' from memory.

    >
    > .. unless ... your corporate has removed that option ? :)
    >
    > "The command prompt has been disabled by your administrator".
    >
    > Yes, I will try that on a home machine. :)
    >

    Well, I haven't administrated Windows for ages, but that seems over the
    top to me. I browsed around a bit, but didn't find anything about *why*
    it is a good idea to disable it. At one time the argument was that the
    user could disable virus protection, but I don't believe that that is
    necessary these days.

    Why is it considered good practise? Wouldn't it stop scripts running at
    boot and login time?

    Cheers,

    Cliff
     
    Enkidu, Aug 7, 2013
    #18
  19. ~misfit~

    Enkidu Guest

    On 07/08/13 11:07, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >
    >> I think robocopy (command line util), robocopy GUI and richcopy all work
    >> on XP - they're all quite old now - pretty sure they were all around
    >> before Vista/7.

    >
    > Richcopy certainly does.
    >

    I'm pretty sure robocopy was around before XP. Yep, it was around in
    NT4.0 days as part of the Windows Resource Kit, says Wikipedia.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
     
    Enkidu, Aug 7, 2013
    #19
  20. ~misfit~

    Seagull Guest

    "EMB" wrote in message news:ktnq9q$ekh$...

    On 5/08/2013 1:38 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
    > Robocopy*does* come (IIRC) with all versions of Windows 7. But the
    > nice Richcopy GUI (that uses robocopy to do the work), does not. (IE
    > robocopy is a command line utility - open a command prompt and type
    > robocopy to test:) )


    RichCopy != RobocopyGUI

    Ok so I thought this Rich Copy sounds like it is worth trying so I googled
    "download Rich Copy"
    I clicked on Download.com reference and got this file.
    Cbsidlm-tri_13-RichCopy-ORG-7575281.exe

    Whoa! What is this Cbsidlm bit ? I do not like the look of it!
    Google can't tell me, but I hope it ties the file to their sneaky downloader
    install program.
    Can someone confirm please?
    Meanwhile I have an alternate download from another file repositry.
     
    Seagull, Aug 7, 2013
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. George

    File naming method?

    George, Feb 13, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    718
    Toolman Tim
    Feb 14, 2005
  2. ted_radioham

    voipcheap payment method question

    ted_radioham, Jan 24, 2006, in forum: UK VOIP
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    495
    ted_radioham
    Jan 24, 2006
  3. The Puppy Wizard

    Re: Wits' End method - a question

    The Puppy Wizard, Sep 29, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    893
    The Puppy Wizard
    Sep 29, 2003
  4. Zak

    Viewing/opening file sent by secure method

    Zak, Feb 27, 2007, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    466
  5. rapee
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    772
    rapee
    Mar 14, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page