File Associations

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by joe, Jan 2, 2005.

  1. joe

    joe Guest

    joe, Jan 2, 2005

  2. joe

    dadiOH Guest

    joe wrote:
    > How do I unassociate a file with an application?

    Just delete it in File Types.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.05...
    dadiOH, Jan 2, 2005

  3. joe

    joe Guest

    "dadiOH" <> wrote in message
    > joe wrote:
    > How do I unassociate a file with an application?
    >
    > Just delete it in File Types.
    >
    > --
    > dadiOH
    > ____________________________
    >
    > dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

    I forgot to mention my os is Windows XP.

    File Types? I went to the GIMP (for windows) Help site and it had no help
    listed for "file association" or "file types."

    Then I tried the Properties window (right click menu) and discovered that
    "Properties" allows the user to change the program which opens the file, but
    not the icon. So how do I change the icon as well? (I am trying to
    unassociate this file type with GIMP.)

    --
    joe
    http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/jbc33/
    joe, Jan 2, 2005
  4. joe

    Sunny Guest

    "joe" <> wrote in message
    > "dadiOH" <> wrote in message
    >> joe wrote:
    >> How do I unassociate a file with an application?
    >>
    >> Just delete it in File Types.
    >>
    >> --
    >> dadiOH
    >> ____________________________
    >>
    >> dadiOH's dandies v3.05...
    >> ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
    >> LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
    >> Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
    >>

    > I forgot to mention my os is Windows XP.
    >
    > File Types? I went to the GIMP (for windows) Help site and it had no help
    > listed for "file association" or "file types."
    >
    > Then I tried the Properties window (right click menu) and discovered that
    > "Properties" allows the user to change the program which opens the file,
    > but not the icon. So how do I change the icon as well? (I am trying to
    > unassociate this file type with GIMP.)

    With Windows Explorer, open any file, and then ;
    Tools > Folder Options > File Types >
    Select the file extension then in "Details" click "Change".
    In the "Open With" window, select the program you want to use.
    Tick "Always Use etc." The Icon will magically change,
    (For all files of that type on your PC.)
    Sunny, Jan 3, 2005
  5. joe

    joe Guest

    "Sunny" <> wrote in message

    > "joe" <> wrote in message
    >> "dadiOH" <> wrote in message
    >>> joe wrote:
    >>> How do I unassociate a file with an application?
    >>>
    >>> Just delete it in File Types.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> dadiOH
    >>> ____________________________
    >>>
    >>> dadiOH's dandies v3.05...
    >>> ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
    >>> LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
    >>> Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
    >>>

    >> I forgot to mention my os is Windows XP.
    >>
    >> File Types? I went to the GIMP (for windows) Help site and it had no help
    >> listed for "file association" or "file types."
    >>
    >> Then I tried the Properties window (right click menu) and discovered that
    >> "Properties" allows the user to change the program which opens the file,
    >> but not the icon. So how do I change the icon as well? (I am trying to
    >> unassociate this file type with GIMP.)

    > With Windows Explorer, open any file, and then ;
    > Tools > Folder Options > File Types >
    > Select the file extension then in "Details" click "Change".
    > In the "Open With" window, select the program you want to use.
    > Tick "Always Use etc." The Icon will magically change,
    > (For all files of that type on your PC.)

    PERFECT, thx Sunny!

    joe, Jan 3, 2005

    John McClenaghan, Jan 3, 2005

    John McClenaghan, Jan 3, 2005