    When I click Properties, the General tab has no "Change" option.
    Why is this?

    Nightsky

    Nightsky, Nov 4, 2006

  2. Nightsky

    x@y Guest

    "Nightsky" <> wrote in message

    > In XP pro, the help file gives these steps for changing file
    > associations:
    >
    > Right-click the file you want to open in a different program, and then
    > click Properties.
    > On the General tab, click Change.
    > Click the name of the program in which you want the file to open.
    >
    > Problem:
    > When I click Properties, the General tab has no "Change" option.
    > Why is this?
    >
    > Nightsky

    Hello Nightsky,

    I have similar problem, with Windows XP Pro.

    I cannot open some of the Attachments I receive in my
    OE Inbox, I have learned a trick to open stubborn Attach,
    but it is not so practical.

    I save the stubborn File to the Desktop, then I right click
    on the File Icon and click on "Open with" Or just click Open.

    On the Link Below you will find a couple of threads that deals
    with File Associations.

    http://tinyurl.com/y3v7sa

    Good Luck, x@y

    x@y, Nov 4, 2006

  3. x@y wrote:

    > I cannot open some of the Attachments I receive in my OE Inbox, I have
    > learned a trick to open stubborn Attach, but it is not so practical.
    >
    > I save the stubborn File to the Desktop, then I right click
    > on the File Icon and click on "Open with" Or just click Open.

    These mysterious attachments ... do you first scan them with your
    up-to-date reliable anti-virus application before you open them?

    If you don't, please turn in your key to the computer and go play golf
    or something else less hazardous than computing.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 4, 2006
  4. "Nightsky" <> loquaciously articulated in

    > In XP pro, the help file gives these steps for changing file
    > associations:
    >
    > Right-click the file you want to open in a different program, and
    > then click Properties.
    > On the General tab, click Change.
    > Click the name of the program in which you want the file to open.
    >
    > Problem:
    > When I click Properties, the General tab has no "Change" option.
    > Why is this? > > Nightsky > >

    If I right-click on a jpg or gif, etc., or any image file, >
    Properties, I do get a "Change" button on the "General" tab; but, if I
    right click an IE Shortcut icon, which I have dragged to [a folder]
    from IE, and I right-click on it, I only get a "Change icon" button on
    that General tab.

    If you open Windows Explorer or most any folder (or just double click
    on My Computer) goto the Menu bar > Tools > Folder Options > "File
    Types" tab > little flashlight finds all your register files - may take
    a few moments > find a file with an extension and select it, then
    select one which does not have an extension, " (NONE) " [yet], now do
    it back and forth really fast... now faster... much faster now...
    careful, you don't want to break it or burn out your monitor...

    See down there in that "Details..." area where the "Change..." button
    appears and disappears? There's an "Advanced..." button you can click
    too. It's "*Microsoft* *Magic*"

    But *wait* - that's not your "final" answer, there's *more*:

    Generally, "folders" won't have a "Change" button, and only files which
    either currently are associated with a certain program, and/or those
    files which can be opened by 2 or more programs which are current
    associated with one program or the other have a Properties > "General"
    tab > "Change" button.

    So Microsoft may well have a "Don't Go Changing" fixation, with some
    files, but unlike Billy Joel, they were too busy making money off of
    people like me and you and others reading this, and also designing
    piracy-proof-programs to write a song about it.

    And I think that's a good thing because people would likely just be
    downloading illegal mp3's of it off of the internet. Darn "new
    morality" - just gets harder and harder to become the next billionaire.

    Best regards, and good luck with bumping around those file associations
    dialogs and settings.

    --

    When I think back on all the blessings
    which have been dispensed in my lifetime:

    .... unless you count that rattlesnake
    who granted me all those wishes.

    Bucky Breeder, Nov 4, 2006
  5. Nightsky

    x@y Guest

    > x@y wrote:
    >
    >> I cannot open some of the Attachments I receive in my OE Inbox, I have
    >> learned a trick to open stubborn Attach, but it is not so practical.
    >>
    >> I save the stubborn File to the Desktop, then I right click
    >> on the File Icon and click on "Open with" Or just click Open.

    > These mysterious attachments ... do you first scan them with your
    > up-to-date reliable anti-virus application before you open them?

    Hey Mr. Shagnasty,
    Could you please be a little more considerate, when asking my
    Computer Security questions, before sending me golfing.

    Yes all my incoming e-mails, and dowloaded NG.'s Posts,
    are scanned by "Avast Pro" The Paid Version.
    The Firewall & Spyware Programs are also Paid Versions,
    and they are doing a great Job in keeping my System clean.

    > If you don't, please turn in your key to the computer and go play golf
    > or something else less hazardous than computing.

    So now the Question: "Golf or No Golf"??
    The Answer is: "No Golf"!

    Thanks for sharing, x@y

    x@y, Nov 4, 2006
  6. x@y wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:
    >> x@y wrote:
    >>
    >>> I cannot open some of the Attachments I receive in my OE Inbox, I
    >>> have learned a trick to open stubborn Attach, but it is not so
    >>> practical.
    >>>
    >>> I save the stubborn File to the Desktop, then I right click on the
    >>> File Icon and click on "Open with" Or just click Open.

    >> These mysterious attachments ... do you first scan them with your
    >> up-to-date reliable anti-virus application before you open them?

    > Hey Mr. Shagnasty,
    > Could you please be a little more considerate, when asking my Computer
    > Security questions, before sending me golfing.

    Ok, but you didn't mention that you checked for viruses, and it seemed
    pertinent.

    > Yes all my incoming e-mails, and dowloaded NG.'s Posts,
    > are scanned by "Avast Pro" The Paid Version.
    > The Firewall & Spyware Programs are also Paid Versions,
    > and they are doing a great Job in keeping my System clean.
    >
    >> If you don't, please turn in your key to the computer and go play golf
    >> or something else less hazardous than computing.

    > So now the Question: "Golf or No Golf"??
    > The Answer is: "No Golf"!

    So, are you now able to open the attachments? What kind of files are
    they? Give a sample complete filename.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 4, 2006