File association quirks

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Terry Pinnell, Aug 22, 2007.

  1. I frequently discover odd quirks concerning file associations. Here's
    one example.

    If I enter
    ASSOC.avi
    at a Command prompt, I get the result
    ..avi=NeroShowTime.Files

    Yet I have AVI files associated with VirtualDub. And, for all AVI
    files, the Type column in Windows XP Home folders shows 'VirtualDub'.

    FWIW, in Folder Options>File Types, I see:
    Details for 'AVI' extension
    Opens with: VirtualDub
    You have customized files with extension 'AVI'. To restore these
    files to their default type (VirtualDub), click Restore.

    For a long time the Type column *did* oddly show 'NeroShowTime',
    despite d-clicking opening the AVI in VirtualDub. Can't remember what
    I did to change that, months ago. But from the above evidence, it's
    clearly still a bit dodgy behind the scenes. Anyone have any insights
    please? Some obscure registry ambiguity or redundant entry?

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Aug 22, 2007

  2. Terry Pinnell

    Guest

    Terry Pinnell <> wrote:

    >I frequently discover odd quirks concerning file associations. Here's
    >one example.
    >
    >If I enter
    >ASSOC.avi
    >at a Command prompt, I get the result
    >.avi=NeroShowTime.Files
    >
    >Yet I have AVI files associated with VirtualDub. And, for all AVI
    >files, the Type column in Windows XP Home folders shows 'VirtualDub'.
    >
    >FWIW, in Folder Options>File Types, I see:
    >Details for 'AVI' extension
    >Opens with: VirtualDub
    >You have customized files with extension 'AVI'. To restore these
    >files to their default type (VirtualDub), click Restore.
    >
    >For a long time the Type column *did* oddly show 'NeroShowTime',
    >despite d-clicking opening the AVI in VirtualDub. Can't remember what
    >I did to change that, months ago. But from the above evidence, it's
    >clearly still a bit dodgy behind the scenes. Anyone have any insights
    >please? Some obscure registry ambiguity or redundant entry?

    Download -n- run Process Monitor
    www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processmonitor.mspx

    Set the filters, make an association change, view what happens.

    --

    The secret history of the Nazi mascot
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6945847.stm

  3. wrote:

    > Terry Pinnell <> wrote:
    >
    >>I frequently discover odd quirks concerning file associations. Here's
    >>one example.
    >>
    >>If I enter
    >>ASSOC.avi
    >>at a Command prompt, I get the result
    >>.avi=NeroShowTime.Files
    >>
    >>Yet I have AVI files associated with VirtualDub. And, for all AVI
    >>files, the Type column in Windows XP Home folders shows 'VirtualDub'.
    >>
    >>FWIW, in Folder Options>File Types, I see:
    >>Details for 'AVI' extension
    >>Opens with: VirtualDub
    >>You have customized files with extension 'AVI'. To restore these
    >>files to their default type (VirtualDub), click Restore.
    >>
    >>For a long time the Type column *did* oddly show 'NeroShowTime',
    >>despite d-clicking opening the AVI in VirtualDub. Can't remember what
    >>I did to change that, months ago. But from the above evidence, it's
    >>clearly still a bit dodgy behind the scenes. Anyone have any insights
    >>please? Some obscure registry ambiguity or redundant entry?

    >Download -n- run Process Monitor
    >www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processmonitor.mspx
    >
    >Set the filters, make an association change, view what happens.

    Thanks, duly installed.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Aug 23, 2007