    appreciate careful instructions.

    Thanks,
    MikeC

    MikeC, Feb 5, 2010

  2. You should be able to right click on one of the files with the extension
    you want to associate, select "Open with" and then "Choose default
    program..." If your editor is not listed among the files in the window
    you can choose browse and find the executable file.

    Bobby Johnson, Feb 5, 2010

  3. MikeC

    MikeC Guest

    When I right-click a .c or .h file in Windows Explorer, there is an "Open"
    link, also Edit, Send to, Share with, cut, copy, Add to archive, etc - but
    no "Open with".

    MikeC, Feb 6, 2010
  4. MikeC

    Tom Guest

    "MikeC" <> wrote in message
    > Folks,
    >
    > In Windows 7 (on a 64-bit Acer laptop), when I try to associate a file
    > with a program, I click Start, "Default Programs", "Associate a file type
    > with a program", then choose the file type from a long list of possible
    > types. The snag is that the types that I want to associate with my
    > favorite editor are not in the list - surprisingly, as they are ".c",
    > ".h", and less surprisingly, a file type that is created by a program I
    > wrote, ".Prs"
    > Can anybody suggest how I can make the associations? Do I have to edit
    > the registry? I've never done that, so if that is the only way to go, I'd
    > appreciate careful instructions.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > MikeC

    You can really only (nearly all of the time) associate a file type with the
    program that created it. For example, you cannot get a program that opened
    with Apple's Itunes and then change it to attempt to open with Windows Media
    Player. If you're just trying to get it in the list, at the bottom of that
    list, you should see "Choose default Program", and then go to the directory
    where the executable you want (could) open that particular program. If you
    have your extensions in view ( i.e. programname.exe as ".exe" being the
    extension), you will be able to tell the what is the actual program.

    Tom, Feb 6, 2010
  5. "MikeC" <> wrote in message
    > When I right-click a .c or .h file in Windows Explorer, there is an "Open"
    > link, also Edit, Send to, Share with, cut, copy, Add to archive, etc - but
    > no "Open with".

    Try pressing Shift-Click?

    Alternatively, assoc and ftype (in a cmd window) should still work.
    ; )

    Good luck

    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

    > "Bobby Johnson" <> wrote in message
    >> You should be able to right click on one of the files with the extension
    >> you want to associate, select "Open with" and then "Choose default
    >> program..." If your editor is not listed among the files in the window
    >> you can choose browse and find the executable file.
    >>

    >> On 2010-02-05 17:21, MikeC wrote:
    >>> Folks,
    >>>
    >>> In Windows 7 (on a 64-bit Acer laptop), when I try to associate a file
    >>> with a program, I click Start, "Default Programs", "Associate a file
    >>> type with a program", then choose the file type from a long list of
    >>> possible types. The snag is that the types that I want to associate with
    >>> my favorite editor are not in the list - surprisingly, as they are ".c",
    >>> ".h", and less surprisingly, a file type that is created by a program I
    >>> wrote, ".Prs"
    >>> Can anybody suggest how I can make the associations? Do I have to edit
    >>> the registry? I've never done that, so if that is the only way to go,
    >>> I'd appreciate careful instructions.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> MikeC

    Robert Aldwinckle, Feb 6, 2010
  6. MikeC

    Susan Guest

    I get an "Open with" choice. If I select it, and the program is not there,
    I get a "Choose the default program." If I still don't see my program, there
    is a "Browse" button on the bottom right. Is that what you were looking for?

    --
    Susan
    Still Flyin'

    -30-