    permissions. The network path was not found." Please could you help out with
    my problem.

    miggols99
    =?Utf-8?B?bWlnZ29sczk5?=, Jan 27, 2006

    =?Utf-8?B?QmFja3RoZVBhY2s=?=, Jan 28, 2006

  3. I am having virtually the same problem. I have two wireless laptops and a
    hardwired desktop. From the desktop, I can see the shared folder on both
    laptops and I can see the each of the laptops from the other. I can add both
    printers that are hooked to the wired desktop to each of the laptops, and
    from all three machines, I can see the "workgroup" computers. However, I
    cannot see the shared folder on the desktop from either laptop and if I click
    on the desktop, I get the same message. I have tried disabling firewalls,
    anti virus, anti spyware and ever other thing I can think of, but cannot see
    the shared files. Sure would like to know what the problem is.

    =?Utf-8?B?QmFja3RoZVBhY2s=?=, Jan 28, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?bWlnZ29sczk5?=

    Malke Guest

    miggols99 wrote:

    > I cannot access my computers on my wireless network. The wireless
    > internet is fine, but I cannot see any files or printers in My Network
    > Places. When I click on "View workgroup computers", it says "(network
    > name) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
    > network resource. Contact the administator of this server to find out
    > if you have access permissions. The network path was not found."
    > Please could you help out with my problem.
    >
    > miggols99

    This is commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. You didn't say what
    operating systems (and if XP, what Service Pack level) you are running
    but Service Pack 2 automatically enables the Windows Firewall. If you
    are not running a third-party firewall, go to the Windows Firewall
    applet in Control Panel and enable File & Printer Sharing on the
    Exceptions tab. If you are using a third-party firewall (and have
    properly configured it to allow your lan traffic as Trusted), then turn
    the Windows Firewall off. You don't want two firewalls running, and a
    third-party program will be better than the WF. All firewalls must be
    properly configured to allow lan traffic as Trusted.

    Often just running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines and
    rebooting is enough to successfully create the home network. The only
    "gotcha" is that the Wizard will enable the SP2 Firewall, so if you
    have a third-party one you'll need to go to the Firewall's applet in
    Control Panel and disable it.

    If the above doesn't help, go through this network troubleshooter by MVP
    Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it and it will normally
    pinpoint the problem area(s).
    http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, Jan 28, 2006
  5. Thank you for the response. I will go through the link you sent, but wanted
    to answer a couple of things. First, I am running XP w/ SP2 on all machines.
    The Router is a Linksys WRT54GS. It has a firewall that can be turned on
    and off. I have tried shutting the WFW off on all machines, but did not try
    it with WFW and the router FW off at the same time. Yesterday, I went over
    to a friends house and set up his network. He has the same router, with a
    brand new Dell desktop hard wired to the router. In addition, I set up a
    laptop and another desktop, both wireless. The Dell and laptop are both XP
    w/SP2 and the other wirelwees desktop is XP but I am not sure which SP is on
    it. Anyway, after getting the wireless part done, I set up the workgroup. I
    did not create a disk/thumdrive file, rather, I just ran the setup wizard on
    all three machines, enabled file a print sharing, gave each the Workgroup
    name etc. THe wizard did enable the firewalls. Unfortunately, I had the
    exact same result. THe two wireless machines can see and share and the hard
    wired machine sees both wireless machines, but I cold not see the hardwired
    computer from either of the wireless computers. It just seems strange that
    having set each of the three computers up exactly the same, that the file and
    print sharing is only partially messed up. In both systems, the problem is
    accessing the shared folders on the hard wired computer from the wireless
    computers. Wireless to wireless works and hard wired to wireless works, just
    not the wireless to hardwired. Very, very frustrating.

    =?Utf-8?B?QmFja3RoZVBhY2s=?=, Jan 29, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?bWlnZ29sczk5?=

    RazlDazl Guest

    They say that misery loves company and not being able to share files on one of the three computers I have networked in my home has led to many hours of frustration trying to resolve the problem. Accessing the link referred to in your post, I found that the combination of the following alterations solved my problem. Hopefully, you might have similar success.

    Made sure that Windows Firewall...Off
    On the Exceptions Tab of the Window Firewall, made sure File & Printer Sharing is checked

    Unchecked UPNP in Control Panel/Add/Remove Programs/Add Remove Windows Components/Networking Services. (Make sure to click "apply" to set the command)

    In the registry, changed the value at the following location from 1 to 0...
    HKey_Local Machine/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/LSA. On the right hand side there is an entry "restrictanonymous". Changed the value from 1 to 0.

    After making the above changes, My Network Places works and I am able to once again share files! Would be interested in knowing if you enjoy similar success.

    Good Luck!

    RazlDazl, Jan 31, 2006
  7. Thanks RazlDazl, your solution worked!. Prior to reading your post, I had
    problems with NIS and had to reload the OS. When complete, I had the same
    problem. All the settings were correct, except the regitry setting. My
    registry had two entries referring to restrictanonymous, the first was
    restrictanonymous, which had a value of 0, the other was restrictanonymoussam
    which had a value of 1. When I changed it to 0, it solved the problem. Will
    this affect any security?? Thanks again. I would never have solved this
    problem.

    =?Utf-8?B?QmFja3RoZVBhY2s=?=, Feb 8, 2006