file and printer sharing

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?Y2FybCB3?=, Sep 23, 2006.

  1. How do I enable file and printer sharing and conecting wired and coputers
    together?

    =?Utf-8?B?Y2FybCB3?=, Sep 23, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Y2FybCB3?=

    Malke Guest

    carl w wrote:

    > How do I enable file and printer sharing and conecting wired and
    > coputers together?

    It doesn't matter that some computers connect wirelessly and some
    connect wired. You just need to set up your local area network (lan)
    and sharing. You didn't provide any information about what operating
    systems you are running, but here are some general instructions (and
    links) for XP SP2:

    Run the Network Setup Wizard on all computers, making sure to enable
    File & Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will
    turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
    firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
    Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
    third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
    Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
    IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
    substitute your correct subnet.

    If one or more of the computers is XP Pro:

    accounts/passwords on all computers.

    b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
    Simple File Sharing enabled.

    resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
    matters in your situation.

    Shared Documents folder.

    If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
    troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
    and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
    http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    Additional useful links:

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)
    (Pro)