    thanks, hj

    --
    ______________________

    hugh jass, Sep 11, 2003

  2. hugh jass

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, hugh jass mused:

    | I have just set up some internet sharing via a linksys 4 port firewall
    | router...

    Hopefully, you really mean INTRAnet (LAN) sharing. You do not want to
    make your shares and resources available to everyone on the internet do you?

    | Does it automatically have a firewall or do I have to set that up?

    Depends on what model of Linksys you got. Most just have NAT routing
    which supplies some firewall-like functions. To have a true firewall in
    your router you are looking at £190 (US$220) and up.

    | How can I share files and a printer that are on another machine which is
    | also connected to the router?

    Enable File and Print Sharing on all computers for the connection they
    use to connect to the router, set a folder and/or print up as shared, make
    sure both computers can see each other on the network (this will be OS
    settings, not router), and then you should see the shares.

    mhicaoidh, Sep 11, 2003

  3. hugh jass

    Ron Martell Guest

    "hugh jass" <> wrote:

    >I have just set up some internet sharing via a linksys 4 port firewall
    >router...
    >Does it automatically have a firewall or do I have to set that up?
    >How can I share files and a printer that are on another machine which is
    >also connected to the router?
    >thanks, hj

    The router should have a buit-in NAT firewall which is pretty solid
    protection against incoming hackers and other attacks. It does not,
    however, protect against unauthorized traffic originating from a
    computer on your network, such as advertising spyware that "phones
    home" or viruses spreading themselves from an infected computer via
    email.

    On any computer that is going to share its files or printers with
    others you need to open Control Panel - Networks and make sure the
    "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" service is
    installed.

    Also check the Identification tab in Control Panel - Networks
    All of the computers on the network must have the *same* workgroup
    name and *different* computer names. To avoid possible problems you
    should ensure that:
    - The workgroup name and computer names are short - not more than 12
    characters.
    - There are no blank spaces or special characters in any of the names.

    When that is installed then you need to configure the specific items
    that are going to shared. Open "My Computer (for drives) or Control
    Panel - Printers (for printers) and right-click on the item you want
    to share. Select Sharing and then give it a name.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Sep 11, 2003
  4. hugh jass

    PhilGreg Guest

    "Ron Martell" <> wrote in message
    > "hugh jass" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I have just set up some internet sharing via a linksys 4 port

    firewall
    > >router...
    > >Does it automatically have a firewall or do I have to set that up?
    > >How can I share files and a printer that are on another machine

    which is
    > >also connected to the router?
    > >thanks, hj

    > The router should have a buit-in NAT firewall which is pretty solid
    > protection against incoming hackers and other attacks. It does

    not,
    > however, protect against unauthorized traffic originating from a
    > computer on your network, such as advertising spyware that "phones
    > home" or viruses spreading themselves from an infected computer via
    > email.
    >
    > On any computer that is going to share its files or printers with
    > others you need to open Control Panel - Networks and make sure the
    > "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" service is
    > installed.
    >
    > Also check the Identification tab in Control Panel - Networks
    > All of the computers on the network must have the *same* workgroup
    > name and *different* computer names. To avoid possible problems you
    > should ensure that:
    > - The workgroup name and computer names are short - not more than 12
    > characters.
    > - There are no blank spaces or special characters in any of the

    names.

    > When that is installed then you need to configure the specific items
    > that are going to shared. Open "My Computer (for drives) or Control
    > Panel - Printers (for printers) and right-click on the item you want
    > to share. Select Sharing and then give it a name.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    ==> Ron, I would add two more items. First, install a software
    firewall. Although you alluded to it in your statement it was not
    clearly stated. ( no criticism of you intended<G>). A software
    firewall is a must to protect oneself from unknown /unauthorized
    outbound attempts .

    Secondly, I would add that file and printer sharing should be turn off
    as a default for security purposes and only momentarily turned on when
    needed. Do you agree?

    --
    Phil

    \\\///
    ( o o )
    --------oOOO-- ( )--OOOo------

    PhilGreg, Sep 12, 2003
  5. hugh jass

    Ron Martell Guest

    "PhilGreg" <> wrote:

    >==> Ron, I would add two more items. First, install a software
    >firewall. Although you alluded to it in your statement it was not
    >clearly stated. ( no criticism of you intended<G>). A software
    >firewall is a must to protect oneself from unknown /unauthorized
    >outbound attempts .

    In my experience a NAT firewall included in a router is adequate
    protection.

    I have two Windows XP machines sitting behind a NAT router (Microsoft
    MN-500). Neither has any sort of firewall installed, and the internal
    XP firewall is not enabled on either machine. Neither machine has
    been hit by the Blaster virus or any of the variants.

    I have yet to encounter anyone with a NAT equipped router who was
    infected with Blaster or who has had any other problems of any sort
    with intrusions through the router.

    >Secondly, I would add that file and printer sharing should be turn off
    >as a default for security purposes and only momentarily turned on when
    >needed. Do you agree?

    Not on a network that is behind a NAT router and which is using
    non-routable (e.g. 192.168.nnn.nnn) i.p. addresses.

    It is fine to be concerned about security but there is no need to
    become totally paranoid over it. :)

    Ron Martell, Sep 13, 2003
  6. hugh jass

    > "PhilGreg" <> wrote:
    >

    > >==> Ron, I would add two more items. First, install a software
    > >firewall. Although you alluded to it in your statement it was not
    > >clearly stated. ( no criticism of you intended<G>). A software
    > >firewall is a must to protect oneself from unknown /unauthorized
    > >outbound attempts .

    > In my experience a NAT firewall included in a router is adequate
    > protection.
    >
    > I have two Windows XP machines sitting behind a NAT router

    (Microsoft
    > MN-500). Neither has any sort of firewall installed, and the

    internal
    > XP firewall is not enabled on either machine. Neither machine has
    > been hit by the Blaster virus or any of the variants.
    >
    > I have yet to encounter anyone with a NAT equipped router who was
    > infected with Blaster or who has had any other problems of any sort
    > with intrusions through the router.
    >

    > >Secondly, I would add that file and printer sharing should be turn

    off
    > >as a default for security purposes and only momentarily turned on

    when
    > >needed. Do you agree?

    > Not on a network that is behind a NAT router and which is using
    > non-routable (e.g. 192.168.nnn.nnn) i.p. addresses.
    >
    > It is fine to be concerned about security but there is no need to
    > become totally paranoid over it. :)

    ==> Are you saying a NAT firewall filters outbound packets?

    --
    Phil

    \\\///
    ( o o )
    --------oOOO-- ( )--OOOo------

    PhilGreg, Sep 13, 2003
  7. hugh jass

    Ron Martell Guest

    "PhilGreg" <> wrote:

    >> Not on a network that is behind a NAT router and which is using
    >> non-routable (e.g. 192.168.nnn.nnn) i.p. addresses.
    >>
    >> It is fine to be concerned about security but there is no need to
    >> become totally paranoid over it. :)

    >==> Are you saying a NAT firewall filters outbound packets?

    No.

    What unauthorized/unknown outbound attempts are you concerned about?
    (assuming you have up to date antivirus and spyware programs in
    place).

    Perhaps you should just leave the computer turned off.

    Ron Martell, Sep 13, 2003
  8. hugh jass

    > "PhilGreg" <> wrote:
    >

    > >> Not on a network that is behind a NAT router and which is using
    > >> non-routable (e.g. 192.168.nnn.nnn) i.p. addresses.
    > >>
    > >> It is fine to be concerned about security but there is no need to
    > >> become totally paranoid over it. :)

    > >==> Are you saying a NAT firewall filters outbound packets?

    > No.
    >
    > What unauthorized/unknown outbound attempts are you concerned about?
    > (assuming you have up to date antivirus and spyware programs in
    > place).
    >
    > Perhaps you should just leave the computer turned off.

    ==>My original question to you was in response to your answer to; Hugh
    Ass in news:tf%7b.3668$...
    To set the record straight it was not for my benefit that I asked the
    question but rather as a hint to you to give more complete information
    otherwise, anyone following it would still be exposed to exploits
    attempting to call the mothership. ( you do know what I mean, don't
    you?)

    I run AV, AT and a FW I know my system's safe. In over five years on
    the net I have never been burned by *anything* because I spent time
    studying the security vulnerabilities that exist. Your suggestion that
    a software FW is not needed w/a NAT router flies in the face of the
    evidence of spyware damage heaped upon the unaware puter users who
    have all the goodies but don't know how to keep themselves safe.

    Furthermore, your suggestion about just leaving the computer off is
    uncalled for. Would you make the same suggestion to some of the major
    corporations whose networks have been crippled because of the likes of
    Code Red, Nimda, or SoBig? I recognize these were all the results of
    unpatched vulnerabilities ( by professional ITs) but I'm sure you're
    capable of understanding the point.

    I asked a civil question and your last response was a piece of crap. I
    don't know who awarded you that M$VP title but I doubt it's in
    security and if you can't give more complete advice to someone who's
    needing it, I suggest you either drop the title or don't bother to
    answer!

    --
    Phil

    \\\///