    doesn't seem to be caused by the desktop's, either.

    So, any ideas as to what the problem is, and what I can do to fix it?
    Any help would be appreciated - thanks! :)
    yawnmoth, Oct 27, 2004

  2. yawnmoth

    Duane Arnold Guest

    (yawnmoth) wrote in news:a0d63404.0410261604.50170e49
    @posting.google.com:

    > I'm using Windows XP Home on a laptop, and Windows XP Pro on two
    > desktops. Each computer has a shared directory, however, from my
    > laptop, I'm unable to access either shared directory. The fact that I
    > can ping both computers from my laptop by both their ip address and
    > their network name and the fact that I can access the shared directory
    > on my laptop from either of my desktops suggests that this isn't some
    > sort of networking problem.
    >
    > In contrast, I can access any desktop's shared directory from the
    > other desktop by both IP address and network name. So the problem
    > doesn't seem to be caused by the desktop's, either.
    >
    > So, any ideas as to what the problem is, and what I can do to fix it?
    > Any help would be appreciated - thanks! :)

    The Trouble Shooting link may help.

    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Oct 27, 2004

  3. yawnmoth

    Jerry G. Guest

    Just a quick thought, see if the firewall is turned on in the network set-up
    of the laptop. If so, it probably has to be properly set up.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ==========================

    Jerry G., Oct 27, 2004
  4. yawnmoth

    Wizard Guest

    It's the firewall in XP. The easiest way around this is to install from
    the XP CD netbeui protocol and set the file and printer sharing to it
    only and remove it from tcp/ip. Then the firewall can be set on all
    three machines for internet.

    Wizard, Oct 27, 2004
  5. yawnmoth

    yawnmoth Guest

    (yawnmoth) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I'm using Windows XP Home on a laptop, and Windows XP Pro on two
    > desktops. Each computer has a shared directory, however, from my
    > laptop, I'm unable to access either shared directory. The fact that I
    > can ping both computers from my laptop by both their ip address and
    > their network name and the fact that I can access the shared directory
    > on my laptop from either of my desktops suggests that this isn't some
    > sort of networking problem.
    >
    > In contrast, I can access any desktop's shared directory from the
    > other desktop by both IP address and network name. So the problem
    > doesn't seem to be caused by the desktop's, either.
    >
    > So, any ideas as to what the problem is, and what I can do to fix it?
    > Any help would be appreciated - thanks! :)

    as an update, i'm still unable to get it working.

    the laptop and one of the desktops has SP1, whereas the other desktop
    has SP2.

    on the computers with SP1, TCP/IP Filtering is disabled as is the
    internect connection firewall.
    there are no additional firewalls installed (or atleast being used, as
    i type this - i'm on a LAN, behind a router, atm).

    also, perhapes most significantly - it's worked fine for a year or so
    (ie. last time i reformated my computer), save for a few weeks ago.

    finally, the troubleshooting link looks more to be a guide on how to
    do it in the first place - not a troubleshooting guide, persay. :(
    yawnmoth, Oct 28, 2004