File and Print Sharing via Linksys WRT54G router -- not working

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?Um9uIFNtaXRo?=, Dec 4, 2005.

  1. I have several problems.

    1. I bought a computer, actually 2, and a Linksys WRT54G router for my
    father-in-law in WI. I went there and set him up over Thanksgiving. I had
    Print Sharing working, but in the process of trying to get access to the
    Dial-up link to work from the notebook, through the router via ICS, I broke
    the Print Sharing, and could not get it working again before I had to return
    home in TX.

    2. While in WI, I tried using my wifes laptop to get to the network through
    my father-in-law's new computer and router, and I couldn't get that to work
    either. Now I am back home in TX, and I find out I have now broke the
    networking setup on her computer. I got the Internet connection back, but
    still can't get Print Sharing working again.

    3. So now, I have 2 networks (computer with dial-up modem, router, notebook
    in WI and computer with cable modem, router, laptop in TX) that are not
    working. I have Norton Internet Security running on 3 of the systems and
    Norton antivirus on my wife's laptop, also mucking up the works. Could you
    give me some advice/help/education on what where to read about setting up
    home networks. Something rather detailed, because the normal stuff in Help
    and Suppoort is not working, and something that would give me enough
    knowledge to troubleshoot my father-in-laws system. I must have run the
    Network Setup Wizard a dozen times, with no luck.

    And of course, if you have suggestions, that would also be appreciated. I
    want to get my system running first and then my father-in-laws. Anybody know
    much about remote assistance -- is that something I could use to help get my
    father-in-laws system working again -- if I can figure this stuff out and get
    my network working. Sorry for the long post.

    --
    Ron Smith in Round Rock
    =?Utf-8?B?Um9uIFNtaXRo?=, Dec 4, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Um9uIFNtaXRo?=

    Quaoar Guest

    Quaoar, Dec 4, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Um9uIFNtaXRo?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    Dialup works only directly with a phone line.

    If the connection is a Dialup connection, these are your options.

    http://www.ezlan.net/DialUp.html

    For Cable or DSL connection, each computer needs a Network card (Wired or
    Wireless) and they are connecting to the Router that is connected to a
    Cable, or DSL Internet connection.

    Otherwise, if you do have Cable or DSL Connection, the system should look
    like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg

    This might help in installation and this for sharing.

    http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html

    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Dec 4, 2005
  4. Re: File and Print Sharing via Linksys WRT54G router -- not workin

    Thanks for the help and pointers. These links contained much better
    information than I had been finding/reading. I think I got my Printers back
    on the Laptop -- it seems to be a firewall problem (surprise, surprise --
    I'll bet well over 50% of the problems are firewall / anti-virus related
    problems).

    I have Norton Internet Security running on my desktop (Windows firewall
    disabled)and Norton anti-virus running on the laptop (Windows Firewell
    enabled). I don't know why things were working before I left town, and NOT
    when I returned -- except for maybe one thing.

    The evening before I left town 2 week ago, Norton updated my NIS software,
    and my email stopped working (that has never happened before -- I think they
    really blew it). Anyway, to get email working again, AT THEIR SUGGESTION, I
    had to reset all my firewall rules back to their default -- and then the
    email started working. It was 2 AM in the morning and I didn't bother to
    check the operation of the Laptop (had a 5 AM flight to catch). So it is
    possible that is what blew me out of the water and screwed up my network
    (darn those Norton guys -- what were they thinking with that update).

    I now have just one more network access problem, and I think I will post
    another question on it since it is no longer a Printer Sharing problem.

    Thanks for the help on this one.
    --
    Ron Smith in Round Rock

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9uIFNtaXRo?=, Dec 5, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Um9uIFNtaXRo?=

    ya never know..

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Your main problem, in my opinion is NORTON. II've talked to a lot of others about Norton, and a lot of people around here don't like it. If you disable it, you'd be a lot better off. I run AVG Free and haven't had any problems. I run ZoneAlarm as my firewall.
    ya never know.., Jun 11, 2007