    Thanks

    Hung
    (writing from a 2nd computer)

    Hung @ PC2, Sep 27, 2003

  2. Hung @ PC2

    HamMan Guest

    "Hung @ PC2" <> wrote in message
    news:bl3o22$b05$...
    > Hi, suddenly with no warning, the hard disk on boot up says "File

    allocation
    > table bad, drive C". I just get the C:> prompt. If I do dir, I also get

    the
    > error message about the FAT is bad- of course no directories listing.
    >
    > Are my data gone (thousnads of photos from my digital camera) ?
    >
    > How do I recover from this FAT error? what program to use?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Hung
    > (writing from a 2nd computer)

    The FAT table tells your computer where the data is on your hard disk,
    without it youre buggered.

    About the 'crucial' digital photos, what no backup on CD-RW's or something?

    If your that desperate you could send your hard dsik off to one of the many
    data recovery companies, but thats a bit on the pricey side.

    Best option is to re-format and reinstall windows (wiping your data), but
    you have to ask what actually caused this error. If its a virus then the
    problem is solved when reformating. But, it could be a hrdware issue. Go to
    your hard disks manufacturer's support page and get thier drive test
    utility. (if its maxtor its the 'powermax' utility)

    HamMan, Sep 27, 2003

  3. Hung @ PC2

    SgtMinor Guest

    Try active@ partitioning recovery software:
    http://www.partition-recovery.com/partition.htm

    SgtMinor, Sep 27, 2003
  4. Hung @ PC2

    °Mike° Guest

    Remove the drive and slave it in your 2nd computer.
    Run GetDataBack on it.
    http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 18:31:54 +0800, in
    <bl3o22$b05$>
    Hung @ PC2 scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 27, 2003
  5. If you want a freeware, you may try these two software:

    1) Drive Rescue 1.9d, freeware (I am not sure if it works with NTFS). I
    tried it with success twice.
    Drive Rescue is a freeware Undelete Utility which sadly was
    discontinued by the author. The author made a newer version but the
    newer version is shareware & has a different name. You can download
    the freeware version from
    http://www.geocities.com/one_human/programs.html , just look for Drive
    Rescue.

    2) PC Inspector file recovery: Fat and NTFS, freeware. I never tried it.
    http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

    Rejean

    Réjean Dutil, Sep 27, 2003
  6. Hung @ PC2

    °Mike° Guest

    Please reply to the original poster. I don't need it. If you don't
    see the original post, make this plain in your post. This is usually
    done by placing <piggybacked> at the start of your post. Thanks.

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 18:04:30 -0400, in
    <bl51in$894ag$-berlin.de>
    Réjean Dutil scrawled:

    °Mike°, Sep 27, 2003