    connection.
    Obviously, I misunderstood.

    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?Z3QxOTYw?=, Jan 3, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Z3QxOTYw?=

    Malke Guest

    gt1960 wrote:

    > Hello.
    > I know this may be a "baby" question, but I am confused.
    > I have a wireless network, using BellSouth FastAccess. Telephone line
    > into a 2Wire hub/box/whatever connected to my "main" pc with two usb
    > satellites, one
    > connected to each of the other computers. I can connect to the
    > Internet on all my computers however, why do I need a physical
    > connection to get access to the other computers?
    > I was under the impression that I would not need an actual physical
    > connection.
    > Obviously, I misunderstood.
    >
    > Thanks

    If you have XP machines, do Start>Run>cmd [enter]
    ipconfig /all

    If you have Win9x/ME, do Start>Run>winipcfg [enter]

    In all cases, look at the IP addresses of the computer. Are they public
    IP addresses or private ones? Private IP addresses can be:

    192.168.x.x; 10.x.x.x; or 172.16.x.x

    If you have private IP addresses, then you have a local area network and
    you don't need anything else except to fix the settings. If both
    machines have public IP's (and I suspect they do), then you could
    physically connect the two computers together with a crossover cable
    running from ethernet adapter to ethernet adapter. Otherwise, it might
    be easiest to call up your ISP and see what will work with their
    proprietary hardware.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Jan 4, 2006

  3. Thank you.

    The two computers have IP addresses that begin with 192.168.
    I do have a cable connected, but it is slow.
    If I can access all of the files on all three computers with having a cable
    it would be so helpful. Any suggestions on how to do this?

    Thanks again.
    George

    =?Utf-8?B?Z3QxOTYw?=, Jan 4, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Z3QxOTYw?=

    Malke Guest

    gt1960 wrote:

    > Thank you.
    >
    > The two computers have IP addresses that begin with 192.168.
    > I do have a cable connected, but it is slow.
    > If I can access all of the files on all three computers with having a
    > cable
    > it would be so helpful. Any suggestions on how to do this?

    Since you already have a local area network (LAN), you just need to set
    up file sharing properly. You don't need anything else. You didn't say
    what operating systems the machines are running, but if they are both
    XP then run the Network Setup Wizard which generally does everything
    for you. The only gotcha is that the Wizard will enable the XP SP2
    Windows Firewall and if you are using a third-party firewall you'll
    need to disable the WF from its applet in Control Panel. Configure any
    third-party firewalls to allow the lan as trusted; i.e., use an IP
    range of 192.168.x.0-192.168.x.254 (substitute your correct number for
    "x"). Share out desired resources.

    Here are links to help you set up a home network:

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    http://www.ezlan.net/index.html
    http://www.howtonetworking.com/default.htm

    Malke

    Malke, Jan 4, 2006
  5. Hey, THANKS!!!!!

    Now, I will going to see what happens when I remove that cable connected to
    the Ethernet cards in the pcs.

    =?Utf-8?B?Z3QxOTYw?=, Jan 4, 2006