FILE ACCESS HELP DESPERATELY NEEDED..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Sparky, Feb 3, 2006.

  1. Sparky

    Sparky Guest

    Firstly let me explain that I am quite computer literate but this one
    has me stumped.
    I am running WINDOWS XP HOME. I recently had a pesky virus /spyware that
    was proving extremely difficult to remove. So bit the bullet, bought a
    new and bigger hard Drive and re-installed wondows onto that drive.
    My orignal boot drive was relegated down the IDE chain an dnow sits on
    my computer as drive G.
    I can no longer gain access to MY DOCUMENTS folder on the old drive. it
    gives the following message

    " G:\documents and settings\dad\My Documents is not accessible
    Access denied"

    I have all the family on as users. they can access thier old files no
    problem at all. I canot access mine. I am guessing it has something to
    do with ACCESS RIGHTS to that folder. But I cannot see anywhere in XP
    HOME where I can reassign the folder rights to me.

    There are a lot of files in the folder I would like access to. Some
    family photos, but most importantly work realted files which I need to
    access.
    Can anyone help with the recovery??
    Thanks
    Sparky, Feb 3, 2006

  2. Sparky wrote:
    > Firstly let me explain that I am quite computer literate but this one
    > has me stumped.
    > I am running WINDOWS XP HOME. I recently had a pesky virus /spyware that
    > was proving extremely difficult to remove. So bit the bullet, bought a
    > new and bigger hard Drive and re-installed wondows onto that drive.
    > My orignal boot drive was relegated down the IDE chain an dnow sits on
    > my computer as drive G.
    > I can no longer gain access to MY DOCUMENTS folder on the old drive. it
    > gives the following message
    >
    > " G:\documents and settings\dad\My Documents is not accessible
    > Access denied"
    >
    > I have all the family on as users. they can access thier old files no
    > problem at all. I canot access mine. I am guessing it has something to
    > do with ACCESS RIGHTS to that folder. But I cannot see anywhere in XP
    > HOME where I can reassign the folder rights to me.
    >
    > There are a lot of files in the folder I would like access to. Some
    > family photos, but most importantly work realted files which I need to
    > access.
    > Can anyone help with the recovery??
    > Thanks

    Are you logged on as administrator ?
    Mark Robinson, Feb 3, 2006

  3. Sparky

    XPD Guest

    "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    >> There are a lot of files in the folder I would like access to. Some
    >> family photos, but most importantly work realted files which I need to
    >> access.
    >> Can anyone help with the recovery??
    >> Thanks

    > Are you logged on as administrator ?

    Being administrator does not always help in this situation.... Ive come
    across it myself, but usually the client dosent care about their documents,
    just if I can get them without hassle....
    XPD, Feb 3, 2006
  4. Sparky

    Sparky Guest

    YES I am the administrator and have all the usual Administrator rights...

    Sparky, Feb 3, 2006
  5. Sparky

    Sparky Guest

    XPD wrote:

    > "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>>There are a lot of files in the folder I would like access to. Some
    >>>family photos, but most importantly work realted files which I need to
    >>>access.
    >>>Can anyone help with the recovery??
    >>>Thanks

    >>Are you logged on as administrator ?

    > Being administrator does not always help in this situation.... Ive come
    > across it myself, but usually the client dosent care about their documents,
    > just if I can get them without hassle....

    So you have a solution??
    Sparky, Feb 3, 2006
  6. Sparky

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <PdxEf.125872$>, sparkynz1
    @netscape.net says...
    > Firstly let me explain that I am quite computer literate but this one
    > has me stumped.
    > I am running WINDOWS XP HOME. I recently had a pesky virus /spyware that
    > was proving extremely difficult to remove. So bit the bullet, bought a
    > new and bigger hard Drive and re-installed wondows onto that drive.
    > My orignal boot drive was relegated down the IDE chain an dnow sits on
    > my computer as drive G.
    > I can no longer gain access to MY DOCUMENTS folder on the old drive. it
    > gives the following message
    >
    > " G:\documents and settings\dad\My Documents is not accessible
    > Access denied"
    >
    > I have all the family on as users. they can access thier old files no
    > problem at all. I canot access mine. I am guessing it has something to
    > do with ACCESS RIGHTS to that folder. But I cannot see anywhere in XP
    > HOME where I can reassign the folder rights to me.
    >
    > There are a lot of files in the folder I would like access to. Some
    > family photos, but most importantly work realted files which I need to
    > access.
    > Can anyone help with the recovery??
    > Thanks

    As Mark says, need to be logged on as an Administrator. Then you can do
    things like "take ownership" -which might do the trick.

    If you Google "reset file permissions microsoft windows XP" - you'll
    find what you need.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Feb 3, 2006
  7. Sparky

    Sparky Guest

    Ok had a browse through the MS site re file security.
    It is rather confusing LOL..
    Firstly it tells me this...
    "This article assumes that you are using Windows XP on a domain. By
    default, simplified sharing is enabled in Windows XP if you are not
    connected to a domain. Therefore, the Security tab and the advanced
    options for permissions are not available."

    I am not on a domain and I cannot see the security tab they suggest I
    need.. so I go to the help section on that.

    "If the Security tab is not available, and if you cannot configure
    permissions for users and groups, either the file or folder that you
    want to apply permissions to is not an NTFS drive, or simple file
    sharing is enabled. To troubleshoot, follow these steps:
    1. Verify that the file or folder that you want to apply permissions to
    is an NTFS drive. You can set permissions only on drives that are
    formatted to use NTFS.
    2. By default, simplified sharing is enabled in Windows XP unless you
    are on a domain. To work around this behavior, disable Simplified Sharing."

    Well I AM on a NTFS drive so therefore I need to disable SIMPLIFIES
    SHARING...

    So I look that up...

    I now get..
    " This article describes how to turn off simple file sharing.

    Note You cannot turn off simple file sharing in Microsoft Windows XP
    Home Edition."

    So round in circles I go...
    ANY help anyone...???

    Sparky, Feb 3, 2006
  8. Sparky

    Jerry Guest

    Sparky wrote:
    > Firstly let me explain that I am quite computer literate but this one
    > has me stumped.
    > I am running WINDOWS XP HOME. I recently had a pesky virus /spyware that
    > was proving extremely difficult to remove. So bit the bullet, bought a
    > new and bigger hard Drive and re-installed wondows onto that drive.
    > My orignal boot drive was relegated down the IDE chain an dnow sits on
    > my computer as drive G.
    > I can no longer gain access to MY DOCUMENTS folder on the old drive. it
    > gives the following message
    >
    > " G:\documents and settings\dad\My Documents is not accessible
    > Access denied"
    >
    > I have all the family on as users. they can access thier old files no
    > problem at all. I canot access mine. I am guessing it has something to
    > do with ACCESS RIGHTS to that folder. But I cannot see anywhere in XP
    > HOME where I can reassign the folder rights to me.
    >
    > There are a lot of files in the folder I would like access to. Some
    > family photos, but most importantly work realted files which I need to
    > access.
    > Can anyone help with the recovery??
    > Thanks

    In XP home, you have to boot as administer in safe mode to take
    ownership. Hit f8 on startup and pick safe mode from the menu, right
    click the file and find security. Take ownership, then you can re-boot
    in normal mode and do whatever you like.
    Jerry, Feb 3, 2006
  9. Sparky

    Malcolm Guest

    Sparky wrote:

> [...]
    >>>gives the following message
    >>>
    >>>" G:\documents and settings\dad\My Documents is not accessible
    >>>Access denied"
    >>>
    >>>I have all the family on as users. they can access thier old files no
    >>>problem at all. I canot access mine. I am guessing it has something to
    >>>do with ACCESS RIGHTS to that folder. But I cannot see anywhere in XP
    >>>HOME where I can reassign the folder rights to me.
    >>>
    >>>There are a lot of files in the folder I would like access to. Some
    >>>family photos, but most importantly work realted files which I need to
    >>>access.
    >>>Can anyone help with the recovery??
    >>>Thanks

    >> As Mark says, need to be logged on as an Administrator. Then you can do
    >> things like "take ownership" -which might do the trick.
    >>
    >> If you Google "reset file permissions microsoft windows XP" - you'll

    Hi
    If you open a command window and cd to the directory, then use a ls -la
    command, who owns the files? and what are the attributes?
    On XP Pro I see permissions just like a unix system. By using the chmod
    command you can change the owner,group,user permissions from the command
    line. Then you should be able to change ownership/permissions on the
    directory and files under it with a global command.
    e.g.
    C:\Documents and Settings\malcolml\My Documents>ls -la
    total 23297
    dr-x------+ 6 malcolml None 0 Jan 30 16:36 .
    d---rwx---+ 15 ???????? SYSTEM 0 Jan 28 21:04 ..
    drwx------+ 2 malcolml None 0 Jan 30 16:36 snmputil
    -rwx------+ 1 malcolml None 176030 Jan 30 16:35 snmputil.zip

    C:\Documents and Settings\malcolml\My Documents>chmod 755 snmputil.zip

    C:\Documents and Settings\malcolml\My Documents>ls -la
    total 23297
    dr-x------+ 6 malcolml None 0 Jan 30 16:36 .
    d---rwx---+ 15 ???????? SYSTEM 0 Jan 28 21:04 ..
    drwx------+ 2 malcolml None 0 Jan 30 16:36 snmputil
    -rwxr-xr-x+ 1 malcolml None 176030 Jan 30 16:35 snmputil.zip

    C:\Documents and Settings\malcolml\My Documents>

    --
    Cheers
    Malcolm °¿°
    Malcolm, Feb 3, 2006
  10. Sparky

    Jerry Guest

    Malcolm wrote:
> [...]

    > line. Then you should be able to change ownership/permissions on the
    > directory and files under it with a global command.
    > e.g.
    > C:\Documents and Settings\malcolml\My Documents>ls -la
    > total 23297
    > dr-x------+ 6 malcolml None 0 Jan 30 16:36 .
    > d---rwx---+ 15 ???????? SYSTEM 0 Jan 28 21:04 ..
    > drwx------+ 2 malcolml None 0 Jan 30 16:36 snmputil
    > -rwx------+ 1 malcolml None 176030 Jan 30 16:35 snmputil.zip
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\malcolml\My Documents>chmod 755 snmputil.zip
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\malcolml\My Documents>ls -la
    > total 23297
    > dr-x------+ 6 malcolml None 0 Jan 30 16:36 .
    > d---rwx---+ 15 ???????? SYSTEM 0 Jan 28 21:04 ..
    > drwx------+ 2 malcolml None 0 Jan 30 16:36 snmputil
    > -rwxr-xr-x+ 1 malcolml None 176030 Jan 30 16:35 snmputil.zip
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\malcolml\My Documents>

    He is running XP HOME, in HOME you just need to be in safe mode to take
    ownership.
    Jerry, Feb 3, 2006
  11. Sparky

    Jerry Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Sparky wrote:
    >
    >> Firstly let me explain that I am quite computer literate but this one
    >> has me stumped.
    >> I am running WINDOWS XP HOME. I recently had a pesky virus /spyware
    >> that was proving extremely difficult to remove. So bit the bullet,
    >> bought a new and bigger hard Drive and re-installed wondows onto that
    >> drive.
    >> My orignal boot drive was relegated down the IDE chain an dnow sits on
    >> my computer as drive G.
    >> I can no longer gain access to MY DOCUMENTS folder on the old drive.
    >> it gives the following message
    >>
    >> " G:\documents and settings\dad\My Documents is not accessible
    >> Access denied"
    >>
    >> I have all the family on as users. they can access thier old files no
    >> problem at all. I canot access mine. I am guessing it has something to
    >> do with ACCESS RIGHTS to that folder. But I cannot see anywhere in XP
    >> HOME where I can reassign the folder rights to me.
    >>
    >> There are a lot of files in the folder I would like access to. Some
    >> family photos, but most importantly work realted files which I need to
    >> access.
    >> Can anyone help with the recovery??
    >> Thanks

    > The administrator as created in the new install while admin does not
    > have rights to the old installs admins files, The SID for the user is
    > different but the name is the same.
    > Create a new user and give them full admin rights, log in as that user
    > and away you go

    No, that will not work. You have to take ownership, and the only way to
    do that in XP HOME is in safe mode.
    Jerry, Feb 3, 2006
  12. Sparky wrote:
    > Firstly let me explain that I am quite computer literate but this one
    > has me stumped.
    > I am running WINDOWS XP HOME. I recently had a pesky virus /spyware that
    > was proving extremely difficult to remove. So bit the bullet, bought a
    > new and bigger hard Drive and re-installed wondows onto that drive.
    > My orignal boot drive was relegated down the IDE chain an dnow sits on
    > my computer as drive G.
    > I can no longer gain access to MY DOCUMENTS folder on the old drive. it
    > gives the following message
    >
    > " G:\documents and settings\dad\My Documents is not accessible
    > Access denied"
    >
    > I have all the family on as users. they can access thier old files no
    > problem at all. I canot access mine. I am guessing it has something to
    > do with ACCESS RIGHTS to that folder. But I cannot see anywhere in XP
    > HOME where I can reassign the folder rights to me.
    >
    > There are a lot of files in the folder I would like access to. Some
    > family photos, but most importantly work realted files which I need to
    > access.
    > Can anyone help with the recovery??
    > Thanks

    The administrator as created in the new install while admin does not have
    rights to the old installs admins files, The SID for the user is different but
    the name is the same.
    Create a new user and give them full admin rights, log in as that user and away
    you go

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    *Slow day Posts Blog*
    Collector»NZ, Feb 3, 2006
  13. Sparky

    Sparky Guest

    Jerry wrote:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >> Sparky wrote:
    >>
    >>> Firstly let me explain that I am quite computer literate but this one
    >>> has me stumped.
    >>> I am running WINDOWS XP HOME. I recently had a pesky virus /spyware
    >>> that was proving extremely difficult to remove. So bit the bullet,
    >>> bought a new and bigger hard Drive and re-installed wondows onto that
    >>> drive.
    >>> My orignal boot drive was relegated down the IDE chain an dnow sits
    >>> on my computer as drive G.
    >>> I can no longer gain access to MY DOCUMENTS folder on the old drive.
    >>> it gives the following message
    >>>
    >>> " G:\documents and settings\dad\My Documents is not accessible
    >>> Access denied"
    >>>
    >>> I have all the family on as users. they can access thier old files no
    >>> problem at all. I canot access mine. I am guessing it has something
    >>> to do with ACCESS RIGHTS to that folder. But I cannot see anywhere in
    >>> XP HOME where I can reassign the folder rights to me.
    >>>
    >>> There are a lot of files in the folder I would like access to. Some
    >>> family photos, but most importantly work realted files which I need
    >>> to access.
    >>> Can anyone help with the recovery??
    >>> Thanks

    >> The administrator as created in the new install while admin does not
    >> have rights to the old installs admins files, The SID for the user is
    >> different but the name is the same.
    >> Create a new user and give them full admin rights, log in as that user
    >> and away you go
    >>

    > No, that will not work. You have to take ownership, and the only way to
    > do that in XP HOME is in safe mode.

    YES, Jerry is right. I booted into safe mode and found exactly what I
    needed to do. I took ownership of the files and now I have accerss to
    them. Thanks to all who contributed.
    It does make a mockery of XP file protection. Knowing I can blithly log
    in under safe mode and hack away at file protection??
    Will have to keep this one hidden from the kids LOL
    Thanks again
    Sparky, Feb 3, 2006
  14. Sparky

    Jerry Guest

    Sparky wrote:
    > Jerry wrote:
    >
    >> Collector»NZ wrote:

    >>> The administrator as created in the new install while admin does not
    >>> have rights to the old installs admins files, The SID for the user is
    >>> different but the name is the same.
    >>> Create a new user and give them full admin rights, log in as that
    >>> user and away you go
    >>>

    >> No, that will not work. You have to take ownership, and the only way
    >> to do that in XP HOME is in safe mode.

    > YES, Jerry is right. I booted into safe mode and found exactly what I
    > needed to do. I took ownership of the files and now I have accerss to
    > them. Thanks to all who contributed.
    > It does make a mockery of XP file protection. Knowing I can blithly log
    > in under safe mode and hack away at file protection??
    > Will have to keep this one hidden from the kids LOL
    > Thanks again

    It doesn't, because an admin can take ownership, but there is no command
    to *give* ownership back. If you play in someone's files, they won't
    have ownership, and won't be able to access them without taking
    ownership back. You can't do it without leaving footprints!
    Jerry, Feb 3, 2006
  15. Sparky

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Sparky wrote:
    > Firstly let me explain that I am quite computer literate but this one
    > has me stumped.
    > I am running WINDOWS XP HOME. I recently had a pesky virus /spyware
    > that was proving extremely difficult to remove. So bit the bullet,
    > bought a new and bigger hard Drive and re-installed wondows onto that
    > drive. My orignal boot drive was relegated down the IDE chain an dnow sits
    > on
    > my computer as drive G.

    So you still have the virus / spyware but it's now on the non-boot drive?
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 3, 2006
  16. Sparky

    Sparky Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Sparky wrote:
    >
    >>Firstly let me explain that I am quite computer literate but this one
    >>has me stumped.
    >>I am running WINDOWS XP HOME. I recently had a pesky virus /spyware
    >>that was proving extremely difficult to remove. So bit the bullet,
    >>bought a new and bigger hard Drive and re-installed wondows onto that
    >>drive. My orignal boot drive was relegated down the IDE chain an dnow sits
    >>on
    >>my computer as drive G.

    > So you still have the virus / spyware but it's now on the non-boot drive?

    Nope, I cleaned out my entire windows directory on the old drive..
    Sparky, Feb 3, 2006
  17. Sparky wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Sparky wrote:
    >>
    >>> Firstly let me explain that I am quite computer literate but this one
    >>> has me stumped.
    >>> I am running WINDOWS XP HOME. I recently had a pesky virus /spyware
    >>> that was proving extremely difficult to remove. So bit the bullet,
    >>> bought a new and bigger hard Drive and re-installed wondows onto that
    >>> drive. My orignal boot drive was relegated down the IDE chain an dnow
    >>> sits on
    >>> my computer as drive G.

    >> So you still have the virus / spyware but it's now on the non-boot drive?

    > Nope, I cleaned out my entire windows directory on the old drive..

    And that helps how ?
    Mark Robinson, Feb 3, 2006
  18. Sparky

    Enkidu Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>> There are a lot of files in the folder I would like access to.
    >>> Some family photos, but most importantly work realted files which
    >>> I need to access. Can anyone help with the recovery?? Thanks

    >> Are you logged on as administrator ?

    > Being administrator does not always help in this situation.... Ive
    > come across it myself, but usually the client dosent care about their
    > documents, just if I can get them without hassle....

    Being administrator should mean that you can take ownership and then set
    the permissions. I've not known it fail.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Feb 3, 2006
  19. Sparky

    Jerry Guest

    Mark Robinson wrote:
    > Sparky wrote:
    >
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:

    >>> So you still have the virus / spyware but it's now on the non-boot
    >>> drive?

    >> Nope, I cleaned out my entire windows directory on the old drive..

    > And that helps how ?

    He needs photos and work related files. He can save what he needs,
    virus scan it, then erase the rest of the drive, and no trace of his virus.
    Jerry, Feb 3, 2006
  20. Sparky

    Jerry Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > XPD wrote:
    >
    >> "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message

    >>> Are you logged on as administrator ?

    >> Being administrator does not always help in this situation.... Ive
    >> come across it myself, but usually the client dosent care about their
    >> documents, just if I can get them without hassle....
    >>

    > Being administrator should mean that you can take ownership and then set
    > the permissions. I've not known it fail.

    The only trick is that with HOME edition you have to be in safe mode to
    do it.
    Jerry, Feb 3, 2006