Fighter Planes (yeah more of them)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by J.D. Parker, Sep 22, 2003.

  1. J.D. Parker

    J.D. Parker Guest

    J.D. Parker, Sep 22, 2003

  2. J.D. Parker

    Zol. Guest

    You might want to do an index file or contact sheet - the `plane 4.jpg` is
    rather nice with the smoke trail -why not post them in
    alt.binaries.pictures.avaition ? lots of photos there ... Zol.

    Zol., Sep 22, 2003

  3. J.D. Parker

    Paul Heslop Guest

    "J.D. Parker" wrote:

    > Why not, here are some pics to pull to shreds:
    >
    > http://parklandconsultants.com/pictures
    >
    > Taken with my old D1x (sold 2 weekends ago), 80-200 AF-S/TC-14e
    > teleconverter.
    >
    > Jonathan

    Some pretty good action shots there Jonathan
    --
    Paul. (Don't ever stand aside, Don't ever be denied)
    Not what it seems...

    Paul Heslop, Sep 22, 2003
  4. J.D. Parker

    This Old Man Guest

    Serious shutter speed! The props don't even look like they're turning!

    This Old Man, Sep 22, 2003
  5. J.D. Parker

    Jean Guest

    "This Old Man" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > Serious shutter speed! The props don't even look like they're turning!

    1/4000th of a second according to EXIF data (25/100000)

    Good pics

    Jean

    Jean, Sep 22, 2003
  6. J.D. Parker

    Jim Townsend Guest

    J.D. Parker wrote:

    >> Why not, here are some pics to pull to shreds:

    Well.. they look a little dark..... ;-) j/k

    Great shots..

    Jim Townsend, Sep 22, 2003
  7. In article <>, Jim Townsend
    <> wrote:

    > >> Why not, here are some pics to pull to shreds:

    > Well.. they look a little dark..... ;-) j/k

    And some of them aren't actually "fighters"...

    Scott Schuckert, Sep 23, 2003
  8. "This Old Man" <> wrote in message news:%FGbb.23379$...
    > Serious shutter speed! The props don't even look like they're turning!

    Agree with that.

    When shooting aircraft with props, please slow the shutter speed down. With the prop stopped it looks more like a model plane than
    a real one.

    I know it makes it tough to get a good sharp steady shot, but that is the "pro" in professional.

    Steve
    Air Force Combat Camera, retired

    Steve Colburn, Sep 23, 2003
  9. J.D. Parker

    Steve Guest

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 17:52:59 GMT, This Old Man wrote:

    > Serious shutter speed! The props don't even look like they're turning!

    Yeah, that makes the pic of the Lanc look very strange. A speed of around
    1/125 is better for prop planes. I've shot pix of P-51s, Bearcats et al at
    the Reno air races on that speed with a 300mm f2.8 handheld with no
    trouble. You just need to refine your panning technique. If you want to see
    a comparison of the effects on props of different speeds, you could see if
    your local library has a copy of my old book 'Photographing Aeroplanes'
    (now long out of print). I did start putting parts of it on one of my web
    sites - www.lomcovak.com - but can't remember how far I got. Maybe one day
    I'll have the time to finish it (though it needs updating quite a bit).

    a+
    Steve

    Steve, Sep 23, 2003
  10. J.D. Parker

    J.D. Parker Guest

    I agree.

    I probably could have slowed down the shutter speed on the prop planes
    as they go slow enough that I can use my monopod.

    Anyone know the maximum shutter speed that will reveal motion in the
    props?

    Thanks,

    Jonathan

    J.D. Parker, Sep 23, 2003
  11. J.D. Parker

    NJH Guest

    "J.D. Parker" <> wrote in message
    > I agree.
    >
    > I probably could have slowed down the shutter speed on the prop planes
    > as they go slow enough that I can use my monopod.
    >
    > Anyone know the maximum shutter speed that will reveal motion in the
    > props?

    Generally speaking, 1/250 is good for that. That's what some photographers
    use for air-to-air shots with pleasing effect.

    Assume 2000-2500 engine rpm, and at 1/250 the prop makes a sixth of a
    revolution or so if it's turning at crankshaft speed. That's enough to show
    nice, realistic looking blur.

    Obviously, shooting from the ground with a long lens can be tough at such
    shutter speed. "As slow as you can" would be a good general rule.

    Even tougher are some of the World War I types with their slow-turning
    engines. You have one shot of a Fokker Dr. I, but I don't believe there's a
    FLYING replica of the Dr. I with the original rotary engine. There are
    several flying with Warner radials, and that's probably what that one is.

    Nice photos anyway, very nice.

    Neil

    NJH, Sep 23, 2003
  12. J.D. Parker

    kpfeif Guest

    J.D. Parker <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Why not, here are some pics to pull to shreds:
    >
    > http://parklandconsultants.com/pictures
    >
    > Taken with my old D1x (sold 2 weekends ago), 80-200 AF-S/TC-14e
    > teleconverter.
    >
    > Jonathan

    Some great shots there. The P-51 is very nice. Damn...if I could
    only get a hold of one of those lenses for next year's EAA. I suppose
    I should learn how to capture fast-moving subjects, too.....

    kpfeif, Sep 23, 2003
  13. "NJH" <> wrote in message news:2EZbb.7861$...

    > "J.D. Parker" <> wrote in message
    > > I agree.
    > >
    > > I probably could have slowed down the shutter speed on the prop planes
    > > as they go slow enough that I can use my monopod.
    > >
    > > Anyone know the maximum shutter speed that will reveal motion in the
    > > props?

    > Generally speaking, 1/250 is good for that. That's what some photographers
    > use for air-to-air shots with pleasing effect.
    >
    >SNIP<

    Thanks...

    Yeah that is what I remember, is 250th. I'm actually an ex-videot (mo-pic & video), but I was our units aerial trainer. Worked
    side by side, and often in front of the still guys, after all, they were "still". <g>

    Steve

    Steve Colburn, Sep 24, 2003
  14. J.D. Parker

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: Fighter Planes (yeah more of them)
    >From: "Steve Colburn"
    >Date: 9/23/03 10:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time

    > > Anyone know the maximum shutter speed that will reveal motion in the
    >> > props?

    Depends on the RPM. See my website

    Arthur Kramer
    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    ArtKramr, Sep 24, 2003
  15. "NJH" <> writes:

    > "J.D. Parker" <> wrote in message
    >> I agree.

    >> I probably could have slowed down the shutter speed on the prop
    >> planes as they go slow enough that I can use my monopod.

    >> Anyone know the maximum shutter speed that will reveal motion in
    >> the props?

    > Generally speaking, 1/250 is good for that. That's what some
    > photographers use for air-to-air shots with pleasing effect.

    > Assume 2000-2500 engine rpm, and at 1/250 the prop makes a sixth of
    > a revolution or so if it's turning at crankshaft speed. That's
    > enough to show nice, realistic looking blur.

    The prop will be geared down from engine RPM. As a rule of thumb you
    can expect the tips of the prop to be at about the speed of sound
    at full RPM.

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

    Paul Repacholi, Oct 2, 2003
  16. J.D. Parker

    Steve Guest

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 05:20:15 +0800, Paul Repacholi wrote:

    >> Assume 2000-2500 engine rpm, and at 1/250 the prop makes a sixth of
    >> a revolution or so if it's turning at crankshaft speed. That's
    >> enough to show nice, realistic looking blur.

    > The prop will be geared down from engine RPM. As a rule of thumb you
    > can expect the tips of the prop to be at about the speed of sound
    > at full RPM.

    That depends greatly on the type of aircraft. Some have geared props, some
    not. And by no means all turn so fast that the tips approach supersonic.
    You can only go with a rule of thumb here. I prefer 1/125th if I want to
    ensure blurred props. Shooting at 1/250th will normally produce some blur,
    but not always enough to be pleasing.

    Steve, Oct 3, 2003