Fight for Fair Use rights to copy DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Interlocke, Mar 5, 2004.

  1. Interlocke

    Interlocke Guest

    I wanted to let everyone know that there is a national protest
    underway to reclaim our right to make backup copies of our own DVDs.
    I don't know if any of you have kids, or like to travel with your DVDs
    (or CDs, even), but there are many times that I would like to have a
    backup copy so I don't have to worry about losing or scratching my
    only copy. Let's be realistic, DVDs are expensive and the more you
    have the more you want to protect your investment.

    Which is why it makes no sense for the Courts to rule that we have the
    right to back DVDs up, but no one has the right to sell us software to
    do it. That's like saying we have the right to drive, but no one can
    sell us a car. Yet, after pumping gobs of money into lawyers'
    pockets, the big Hollywood studios have convinced the Courts to take
    their side against us, the consumer. I guess they think they aren't
    making enough money when we buy a DVD… they want to make sure we have
    to buy the same DVD again if we lose or scratch it. Sounds a bit
    greedy, doesn't it?

    So I wanted to make sure you all knew about the protest campaign
    underway. There is a cool website with all the details, information
    about the Digital Right MeetUp, and great advocacy tools for letting
    Hollywood, the media, and Congress know that our Fair Use Rights can't
    be left on the cutting room floor. It is called
    http://www.ProtectFairUse.org. Please visit it and join the protest.

    Interlocke, Mar 5, 2004

  2. >don't know if any of you have kids, or like to travel with your DVDs
    >(or CDs, even), but there are many times that I would like to have a
    >backup copy so I don't have to worry about losing or scratchin

    true, and not only that, but I like to watch the episodes in thje proper story
    order, and both the "Green Acres" and "Gilligan's Island" dvd sets do not have
    the episodes in the proper story order.

    People in this newsgroup have said that they are too in the proper story order.

    But they're not. Results of actions are shown before the causes of those
    actions in episodes that are not flashbacks.

    For instance, in the "Gilligan's Island" dvd set, the episode where Ginger
    wears the dress made from Gilligan's duffel bag (with Gilligan already knowing
    about it) is shown before the episode where Ginger firsts makes the deewss fron
    Gilligan's duffel bag and first tells Gilligan about it , when he tells her
    that it's a nice dress.

    In the Green Acres dvd set, the episode where Oliver's mother is already in
    Hooterville is shown before the episode where she first leaves for Hooterville
    and sees Hooterville for the first time.

    Yet the idiots in these newsgroups claim that that is the proper story order.

    Even though none of the four episodes I mentioned contained any flashback
    sequence.

    Waterperson77, Mar 5, 2004

  3. Interlocke

    Richard C. Guest

    "Waterperson77" <> wrote in message
    :
    : in thje proper story order,
    : in the proper story order.
    :
    : in the proper story order.
    :
    : But they're not.
    :
    : the proper story order.
    :
    :

    Department of redundancy department.

    Richard C., Mar 5, 2004
  4. Interlocke

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 12:46:12 -0800, "Richard C." <post-age
    @spamcop.net> Gave us:

    >"Waterperson77" <> wrote in message
    >:
    >: in thje proper story order,
    >: in the proper story order.
    >:
    >: in the proper story order.
    >:
    >: But they're not.
    >:
    >: the proper story order.
    >:
    >:
    >
    >Department of redundancy department.

    Friggin' retards should be ignored, not incited to be more retarded.

    But then... you are starting to look as if you qualify.

    DarkMatter, Mar 6, 2004
  5. Interlocke

    HellRazor Guest

    "DarkMatter" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 12:46:12 -0800, "Richard C." <post-age
    > @spamcop.net> Gave us:
    >

    > >"Waterperson77" <> wrote in message
    > >:
    > >: in thje proper story order,
    > >: in the proper story order.
    > >:
    > >: in the proper story order.
    > >:
    > >: But they're not.
    > >:
    > >: the proper story order.
    > >:
    > >:
    > >
    > >Department of redundancy department.
    > >

    > Friggin' retards should be ignored, not incited to be more retarded.
    >
    > But then... you are starting to look as if you qualify.

    Stop trolling.

    HellRazor, Mar 6, 2004