Fibre Optic or Wireless VoIP Installations

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Simon, May 8, 2006.

  1. Simon

    Simon Guest

    Hi All,

    Wonder if anybody has any advice regarding fibre optic or wireless IP
    installations.
    I am currently looking at data/voice/video requirements for a leisure
    development. It broadly consists of 400 lodges (spread over some 40
    acres, maximum distance between any two buildings would be no more than

    1.5 miles) and I am looking to see whether it is possible to either
    1) lay fibre optic to carry voice, data and TV to each individual unit

    (as well as the admin buildings etc)
    2) lay cat 5 to carry VOIP / data and coax for TV signal
    3) lay coax for TV. And use a wireless LAN for VOIP, data etc.

    Any thoughts on likely issues that I need to think about, (specifically

    in terms of ease of installation, cost, security etc ), which of the
    three approaches would be favourite and has anybody had any experience
    in the above.

    BTW the site is currently a greenfield site and the contractor is
    obligated to install ducting for data/video/voice etc but not to
    install any cabling.

    Any help, thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards
    Smon.

    Simon, May 8, 2006

  2. Simon wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Wonder if anybody has any advice regarding fibre optic or wireless IP
    > installations.
    > I am currently looking at data/voice/video requirements for a leisure
    > development. It broadly consists of 400 lodges (spread over some 40
    > acres, maximum distance between any two buildings would be no more than
    >
    > 1.5 miles) and I am looking to see whether it is possible to either
    > 1) lay fibre optic to carry voice, data and TV to each individual unit
    >
    > (as well as the admin buildings etc)
    > 2) lay cat 5 to carry VOIP / data and coax for TV signal
    > 3) lay coax for TV. And use a wireless LAN for VOIP, data etc.
    >

    > Any thoughts on likely issues that I need to think about, (specifically

    My personal recommendation is to avoid using wireless as much as you
    can, probably worth running a couple of pairs of fibre (one attached and
    one spare) to several nodes, and running Cat 5 to the individual units.
    You will need a proper site survey, no matter what you're doing. (even
    down to deciding what type of fibre you need to buy).

    It all depends on your budget really, . (I don't fancy configuring 400
    IP phones, or trusting guests not to steal them). Do you have any idea
    of what the architecture and useage requirements are?

    > in terms of ease of installation, cost, security etc ), which of the
    > three approaches would be favourite and has anybody had any experience
    > in the above.

    There's even a 4th option of running IPTV, but that's more expensive.

    Thomas Kenyon, May 8, 2006

  3. Simon

    PhilT Guest

    Simon wrote:

    > Wonder if anybody has any advice regarding fibre optic or wireless IP
    > installations.
    > I am currently looking at data/voice/video requirements for a leisure
    > development. It broadly consists of 400 lodges (spread over some 40
    > acres, maximum distance between any two buildings would be no more than
    >
    > 1.5 miles) and I am looking to see whether it is possible to either

    40 acres is about 400m square
    or say 20m by 8 km so 20m between lodges in a line.

    so how do you get your 1.5 miles ?

    > 1) lay fibre optic to carry voice, data and TV to each individual unit
    >
    > (as well as the admin buildings etc)
    > 2) lay cat 5 to carry VOIP / data and coax for TV signal
    > 3) lay coax for TV. And use a wireless LAN for VOIP, data etc.

    ethernet distance limits come into play, once we have a better fix on
    typical distances it'll be more clear.

    > BTW the site is currently a greenfield site and the contractor is
    > obligated to install ducting for data/video/voice etc but not to
    > install any cabling.

    Fibre is the most future proof, pull two fibres to each lodge, one for
    TV and one for the rest.

    Have a read at
    http://www.lightreading.com/webinar_archive.asp?doc_id=27896 a Danish
    municipal fibre project.

    Wireless is much lower bandwidth, but potentially lower cost. Is this
    in the UK ?

    Phil

    PhilT, May 8, 2006