    Has anyone here connected one to a fibre network (mine would be Virgin)?

    Advice will be much appreciated.

    Malcolm

    Malcolm Loades, Mar 2, 2013

  2. Malcolm Loades

    Roger Guest

    On 02/03/2013 12:04, Malcolm Loades wrote:
    > I love my Fritzbox 7170 and don't wish to lose the use of it. However,
    > fibre broadband is available to me and the high speeds available are
    > very tempting :)
    >
    > I don't think the 7170 can be used as the router on a fibre network? Has
    > anyone here connected one to a fibre network (mine would be Virgin)?
    >
    > Advice will be much appreciated.
    >
    > Malcolm

    Malcolm

    I use my virgin router (superhub) in modem only mode and then have a
    TP-Link router connected to it (as its easier to configure with gargoyle
    firmware installed). I then have my fritzbox 7170 off the tp-link for
    the phone services and I can use the LAN ports of the 7170 for extra
    wired connections (ascting as a hub) but I dont think it will work as a
    router in this config.

    Is there any reason you want to use the 7170 as the router rather than
    the virgin supplied one?

    Roger

    Roger, Mar 2, 2013

  3. In message <>, Roger
    <> writes
    >On 02/03/2013 12:04, Malcolm Loades wrote:
    >> I love my Fritzbox 7170 and don't wish to lose the use of it. However,
    >> fibre broadband is available to me and the high speeds available are
    >> very tempting :)
    >>
    >> I don't think the 7170 can be used as the router on a fibre network? Has
    >> anyone here connected one to a fibre network (mine would be Virgin)?
    >>
    >> Advice will be much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Malcolm

    >Malcolm
    >
    >I use my virgin router (superhub) in modem only mode and then have a
    >TP-Link router connected to it (as its easier to configure with
    >gargoyle firmware installed). I then have my fritzbox 7170 off the
    >tp-link for the phone services and I can use the LAN ports of the 7170
    >for extra wired connections (ascting as a hub) but I dont think it will
    >work as a router in this config.
    >
    >Is there any reason you want to use the 7170 as the router rather than
    >the virgin supplied one?

    I'm not very techy so perhaps I used the wrong terminology :-(

    I want the 7170 for the voip capability with it's easy routing of calls
    via conventional landline, or different voip providers, based on pre-set
    criteria. I don't really care whether my PC's lan cable plugs into a
    Virgin box or the 7170, nor which of them provides the wireless signal
    for the other machines in the house.

    Am I right in thinking that you are saying that the 7170 can be
    connected to the Virgin router and will carry on doing the voip stuff as
    before?

    Malcolm

    Malcolm Loades, Mar 2, 2013
  4. Malcolm Loades

    Roger Guest

    On 02/03/2013 19:48, Malcolm Loades wrote:
    > In message <>, Roger
    > <> writes
    >> On 02/03/2013 12:04, Malcolm Loades wrote:
    >>> I love my Fritzbox 7170 and don't wish to lose the use of it. However,
    >>> fibre broadband is available to me and the high speeds available are
    >>> very tempting :)
    >>>
    >>> I don't think the 7170 can be used as the router on a fibre network? Has
    >>> anyone here connected one to a fibre network (mine would be Virgin)?
    >>>
    >>> Advice will be much appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Malcolm

    >> Malcolm
    >>
    >> I use my virgin router (superhub) in modem only mode and then have a
    >> TP-Link router connected to it (as its easier to configure with
    >> gargoyle firmware installed). I then have my fritzbox 7170 off the
    >> tp-link for the phone services and I can use the LAN ports of the 7170
    >> for extra wired connections (ascting as a hub) but I dont think it
    >> will work as a router in this config.
    >>
    >> Is there any reason you want to use the 7170 as the router rather than
    >> the virgin supplied one?

    > I'm not very techy so perhaps I used the wrong terminology :-(
    >
    > I want the 7170 for the voip capability with it's easy routing of calls
    > via conventional landline, or different voip providers, based on pre-set
    > criteria. I don't really care whether my PC's lan cable plugs into a
    > Virgin box or the 7170, nor which of them provides the wireless signal
    > for the other machines in the house.
    >
    > Am I right in thinking that you are saying that the 7170 can be
    > connected to the Virgin router and will carry on doing the voip stuff as
    > before?
    >
    > Malcolm

    Hi Malcom
    yes - I bought my 7170 for exactly this purpose as I was fed up wioth
    Sipura "echo" and have never used the adsl part of the 7170. The eaisest
    thing to do is to leave the Virgin Superhub as it is and use this for
    your wireless and wired LAN connections.

    On the Fritzbox do the following -

    Go to Settings - Advanced Settings - Account Information

    For "Select whether your Internet connection should be established via
    DSL or LAN." Select "Internet connection via LAN 1 "

    In Operating Mode select "Share existing Internet connection in the
    network (IP Client)"

    For connection settings chose "Configure the IP address manually" and
    pick an ip address in the range of your superhub and use this - for
    example if your superhub lan address is 192.168.0.1 (the default) chose
    192.168.0.200 or another suitable address. Chose subnet mask
    255.255.255.0, default gateway is the address of your Superhub
    (192.168.0.1 as default). For primary and secondary dns servers you can
    use the virginmedia ones (194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100). Finally put
    in your upstream and downstream rates (dependent on your virgin package).

    When you click apply the ip address of your fritzbox will change so plug
    a network cable from the LAN1 port of the 7170 into one of the ports on
    your superhub, connect your pc/ipad etc to your superhub and you should
    then be able to connect to your fritzbox using the ip address you gave
    it (for exmaple 192.168.0.200).

    Once you can connect, you can then turn off wireless on your Fritzbox
    and use the SuperHubs WIFI conenction. At this point the phone services
    should be working on your Fritzbox.

    Hope that helps
    Roger.

    Roger, Mar 3, 2013
  5. In message <>, Roger
    <> writes
    >Hi Malcom
    >yes - I bought my 7170 for exactly this purpose as I was fed up wioth
    >Sipura "echo" and have never used the adsl part of the 7170. The
    >eaisest thing to do is to leave the Virgin Superhub as it is and use
    >this for your wireless and wired LAN connections.
    >
    >On the Fritzbox do the following -

    <snip>
    >Hope that helps

    Indeed it does! Thank you.

    Before I make the final commitment to an 18 month contract with Virgin
    (30mb service) are you happy with them?

    Thanks

    Malcolm

    Malcolm Loades, Mar 3, 2013
  6. Malcolm Loades

    Roger Guest

    On 03/03/2013 19:44, Malcolm Loades wrote:
    > In message <>, Roger
    > <> writes
    >> Hi Malcom
    >> yes - I bought my 7170 for exactly this purpose as I was fed up wioth
    >> Sipura "echo" and have never used the adsl part of the 7170. The
    >> eaisest thing to do is to leave the Virgin Superhub as it is and use
    >> this for your wireless and wired LAN connections.
    >>
    >> On the Fritzbox do the following -

    > <snip>
    >> Hope that helps

    > Indeed it does! Thank you.
    >
    > Before I make the final commitment to an 18 month contract with Virgin
    > (30mb service) are you happy with them?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Malcolm

    I am now - for about 6 months (12-18 months ago) I wasnt as there was a
    problem in my area and I got very frustrated dealing with Indian Call
    Centres asking me what wireless channel I was on because they were
    reading the standard script - to be fair though I think the call centres
    is probably a common issue across the board these days. I eventually got
    put in touch with a local network manager who couldnt have been more
    helpful - he even gave me his mobile phone number incase any further
    problems came up!

    After some work was carried out in our area I now have a blisteringly
    fast connection with no lag and dont have any problems with voip calls.
    If you want to check it out go to community.virginmedia.com and put in a
    search for your town and see what comes up. Just remember that 99% of
    the posts will be complaints and that for everyone that complains a huge
    number will be happy and not post anything.

    If you decide to change over and have any problems with the set up drop
    me a line and if I can help I'll be happy to.

    Roger.

    Roger, Mar 3, 2013
  7. Malcolm Loades

    DrTeeth Guest

    On Sun, 03 Mar 2013 20:25:03 +0000, just as I was about to take a
    herb, Roger <> disturbed my reverie and
    wrote:

    > to be fair though I think the call centres
    >is probably a common issue across the board these days

    Not it is not. I would not touch an off-shore call centre. If I want
    to speck to somebody from BT in the UK, I phone the Welsh number :).
    --

    Cheers

    DrT
    ______________________________
    We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
    our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
    to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).

    DrTeeth, Mar 3, 2013
  8. Malcolm Loades

    Woody Guest

    "DrTeeth" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 03 Mar 2013 20:25:03 +0000, just as I was about to take
    > herb, Roger <> disturbed my reverie
    > and
    > wrote:
    >
    >> to be fair though I think the call centres
    >>is probably a common issue across the board these days

    > Not it is not. I would not touch an off-shore call centre. If I
    > want
    > to speck to somebody from BT in the UK, I phone the Welsh
    > number :).
    > --

    The landline of an elderly friend went dead on Friday. Her
    neighbour got through to Bangalore and was told it would be fixed
    on the 5th or 6th - hardly what I would call an acceptable
    response.

    I rang and also got through to Bangalore where I insisted on
    speaking to a supervisor. After five minutes of hagling I was ask
    to wait - and I waited, and waited ...........and eventually gave
    up.

    Then I tried 0800 800150 and got a very helpful well spoken UK
    lady who could not have been more helpful. Within ten minutes she
    had rung our friend on her mobile and put call divert in place.

    Why can't they do this for everyone?

    --
    Woody

    harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

    Woody, Mar 4, 2013
  9. Malcolm Loades

    Nick Guest

    On 03/03/2013 19:44, Malcolm Loades wrote:
    > In message <>, Roger
    > <> writes
    >> Hi Malcom
    >> yes - I bought my 7170 for exactly this purpose as I was fed up wioth
    >> Sipura "echo" and have never used the adsl part of the 7170. The
    >> eaisest thing to do is to leave the Virgin Superhub as it is and use
    >> this for your wireless and wired LAN connections.
    >>
    >> On the Fritzbox do the following -

    > <snip>
    >> Hope that helps

    > Indeed it does! Thank you.
    >
    > Before I make the final commitment to an 18 month contract with Virgin
    > (30mb service) are you happy with them?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Malcolm

    As has been mentioned you are better off putting the superhub in modem
    mode, for a number reasons.

    1) the superhub software is ugraded from time to time and some users
    have reported upgrades breaking voip.

    2) if the fritz is used as primary router your voip connection can be
    infront of NAT making it more reliable.

    3) Superhub wifi can be flakey and cause freeze.

    As with roger my virgin connection used to be congested but for the last
    year has been great. (ever since virgin had competition from FTTC in my
    neighbourhood)

    Nick, Mar 4, 2013
  10. Malcolm Loades

    Roger Guest

    On 04/03/2013 15:04, Nick wrote:
    > On 03/03/2013 19:44, Malcolm Loades wrote:
    >> In message <>, Roger
    >> <> writes
    >>> Hi Malcom
    >>> yes - I bought my 7170 for exactly this purpose as I was fed up wioth
    >>> Sipura "echo" and have never used the adsl part of the 7170. The
    >>> eaisest thing to do is to leave the Virgin Superhub as it is and use
    >>> this for your wireless and wired LAN connections.
    >>>
    >>> On the Fritzbox do the following -

    >> <snip>
    >>> Hope that helps

    >> Indeed it does! Thank you.
    >>
    >> Before I make the final commitment to an 18 month contract with Virgin
    >> (30mb service) are you happy with them?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Malcolm

    > As has been mentioned you are better off putting the superhub in modem
    > mode, for a number reasons.
    >
    > 1) the superhub software is ugraded from time to time and some users
    > have reported upgrades breaking voip.
    >
    > 2) if the fritz is used as primary router your voip connection can be
    > infront of NAT making it more reliable.
    >
    > 3) Superhub wifi can be flakey and cause freeze.
    >
    > As with roger my virgin connection used to be congested but for the last
    > year has been great. (ever since virgin had competition from FTTC in my
    > neighbourhood)

    agreed that modem mode would be preferable but if you're not comfortable
    setting up this configuration (and the original poster mentioned he
    wasn't 100% tech savvy) then leaving it in router mode as described will
    work (thats how I had to do it until Virgin introduced modem mode) and
    I'm not sure that the Fritzbox will operate as a router in this config
    as it isnt a cable router its an adsl router.

    Roger, Mar 4, 2013
  11. Malcolm Loades

    Nick Guest

    On 04/03/2013 20:45, Roger wrote:

    > agreed that modem mode would be preferable but if you're not comfortable
    > setting up this configuration (and the original poster mentioned he
    > wasn't 100% tech savvy) then leaving it in router mode as described will
    > work (thats how I had to do it until Virgin introduced modem mode) and
    > I'm not sure that the Fritzbox will operate as a router in this config
    > as it isnt a cable router its an adsl router.

    I think it does work as a cable router, with dhcp which virgin uses
    (called ip mode in the manual). If this is used he won't have to worry
    about configuring ip addresses.

    Nick, Mar 4, 2013
  12. Malcolm Loades

    Guest

    On Monday, March 4, 2013 10:46:28 PM UTC, Nick wrote:
    > On 04/03/2013 20:45, Roger wrote:
    >

    > > agreed that modem mode would be preferable but if you're not comfortable

    > > setting up this configuration (and the original poster mentioned he

    > > wasn't 100% tech savvy) then leaving it in router mode as described will

    > > work (thats how I had to do it until Virgin introduced modem mode) and

    > > I'm not sure that the Fritzbox will operate as a router in this config

    > > as it isnt a cable router its an adsl router.

    > I think it does work as a cable router, with dhcp which virgin uses
    >
    > (called ip mode in the manual). If this is used he won't have to worry
    >
    > about configuring ip addresses.

    Would you believe it - Virgin NNTP servers are now not letting me send a reply and I've had to use google !

    Nick
    you're right - I didn't follow it to completion as I didn't want to reset my fritzbox settings but if you use the settings wizard (rather than the advanced settings) it gives you the option to set the 7170 up as a router using a cable modem - it uses LAN port 1 as the WAN port and it definitely says mode "router".

    Malcolm - in this case you can leave your fritzbox as your wifi and wired router, use the settings wizard to configure it as a cable router and then connect an ethernet cable from LAN port 1 of the fritzbox to LAN port 1 of the superhub.

    Set the superhub to modem mode and reboot both and you should then have thefritzbox working as before but on a fast cable connection. Hopefully Viring will have fixed their newsgroup problems by the time you get connected ;-)
    Roger

    , Mar 6, 2013
  13. Malcolm Loades

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <51352463$0$24652$c3e8da3$>, Nick
    <> scribeth thus
    >On 04/03/2013 20:45, Roger wrote:
    >

    >> agreed that modem mode would be preferable but if you're not comfortable
    >> setting up this configuration (and the original poster mentioned he
    >> wasn't 100% tech savvy) then leaving it in router mode as described will
    >> work (thats how I had to do it until Virgin introduced modem mode) and
    >> I'm not sure that the Fritzbox will operate as a router in this config
    >> as it isnt a cable router its an adsl router.

    >I think it does work as a cable router, with dhcp which virgin uses
    >(called ip mode in the manual). If this is used he won't have to worry
    >about configuring ip addresses.

    If this is the netgear one just put it into modem mode set a DHCP input
    on your router and away you go;!..

    FWIW there has been a product recall for the power units with some of
    them which you should have had by now if you haven't seems that there
    was an overheating issue;!...

    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Mar 6, 2013
  14. tony sayer <> wrote:
    > FWIW there has been a product recall for the power units with some of
    > them which you should have had by now if you haven't seems that there
    > was an overheating issue;!...

    Those power units are 10V linear PSUs (transformer-inna-box) type that I
    think are left over from a modem issued in the NTL/Telewest era. When
    modems were replaced, sometimes the original PSU was reused. I don't know
    if the Superhub also uses 10V, or a different PSU. It's unlikely to be a
    problem for people who are recently new-to-VM customers.

    Ah yes, for people who joined pre 2007:
    https://my.virginmedia.com/customer-news/articles/powersupply

    (The specific problem is units with a 115degC thermal fuse, which might have
    been a bit too high)

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Mar 7, 2013
  15. Malcolm Loades

    Graham. Guest

    On 07 Mar 2013 10:43:35 +0000 (GMT), Theo Markettos
    <> wrote:

    >tony sayer <> wrote:
    >> FWIW there has been a product recall for the power units with some of
    >> them which you should have had by now if you haven't seems that there
    >> was an overheating issue;!...

    >Those power units are 10V linear PSUs (transformer-inna-box) type that I
    >think are left over from a modem issued in the NTL/Telewest era. When
    >modems were replaced, sometimes the original PSU was reused. I don't know
    >if the Superhub also uses 10V, or a different PSU. It's unlikely to be a
    >problem for people who are recently new-to-VM customers.
    >
    >Ah yes, for people who joined pre 2007:
    >https://my.virginmedia.com/customer-news/articles/powersupply
    >
    >(The specific problem is units with a 115degC thermal fuse, which might have
    >been a bit too high)
    >
    >Theo

    I wonder if they go faulty or they are simply not up to the job.
    The replacement is only rated at 1 amp while the suspect ones are
    1.2amp which is slightly odd.

    The upside-down label is quite common on wall-warts. Far Eastern
    manufacturers seem to have the idea that a British socket has the
    earth pin at the bottom.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%