FFox display vs IE

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Karl Engel, Mar 23, 2007.

  1. Karl Engel

    Karl Engel Guest

    Firefox usually displays pages narrower, more squished horizontally than IE.
    I prefer FF for all sorts of reasons, but pages I frequent often appear
    messy in FF; eg captions beside small photos don't fit neatly and have to
    continue for a word or two beneath the photo, or some text in columns
    overlaps the next column. Also the FF pages are just harder to read as they
    take up less screen width. I know I can increase text size, but that doesn't
    help the layout problems.

    My guess is that the web designers are unfortunately using features unique
    to IE so FF can't display correctly, but is that all there is to it?

    A typical example is

    www.smh.com.au
     
    Karl Engel, Mar 23, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Karl Engel wrote:
    > Firefox usually displays pages narrower, more squished horizontally than IE.
    > I prefer FF for all sorts of reasons, but pages I frequent often appear
    > messy in FF; eg captions beside small photos don't fit neatly and have to
    > continue for a word or two beneath the photo, or some text in columns
    > overlaps the next column. Also the FF pages are just harder to read as they
    > take up less screen width. I know I can increase text size, but that doesn't
    > help the layout problems.
    >
    > My guess is that the web designers are unfortunately using features unique
    > to IE so FF can't display correctly, but is that all there is to it?


    That's usually the case, but I don't see much of that with that site on
    FF here. Here's what I see -- the one place that there's some jammed
    text I've highlighted with an ellipse:

    http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/smh.com.au.jpg

    I followed a few links and didn't see any other problems.

    > A typical example is
    >
    > www.smh.com.au



    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
     
    Blinky the Shark, Mar 23, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Karl Engel

    Parko Guest

    On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 12:36:29 +1100, Karl Engel :

    > Firefox usually displays pages narrower, more squished horizontally than IE.
    > I prefer FF for all sorts of reasons, but pages I frequent often appear
    > messy in FF; eg captions beside small photos don't fit neatly and have to
    > continue for a word or two beneath the photo, or some text in columns
    > overlaps the next column. Also the FF pages are just harder to read as they
    > take up less screen width. I know I can increase text size, but that doesn't
    > help the layout problems.
    >
    > My guess is that the web designers are unfortunately using features unique
    > to IE so FF can't display correctly, but is that all there is to it?
    >
    > A typical example is
    >
    > www.smh.com.au


    Try the IE view extension if you must

    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345
     
    Parko, Mar 23, 2007
    #3
  4. Karl Engel

    Larry Bevard Guest

    I maintain two different websites one for a club I belong to and another for
    the Bible Camp I'm on the board of. I have noticed that even though I don't
    have anything too fancy on either one, they both display differently on IE6,
    IE7 and Firefox. often they are sometime very different on FF and no matter
    what I do, I can't make some of it look right on FF. Alot has to do with
    pictures on the page and how FF handles them.

    "Karl Engel" <> wrote in message
    news:46032f1a$0$17568$...
    > Firefox usually displays pages narrower, more squished horizontally than
    > IE. I prefer FF for all sorts of reasons, but pages I frequent often
    > appear messy in FF; eg captions beside small photos don't fit neatly and
    > have to continue for a word or two beneath the photo, or some text in
    > columns overlaps the next column. Also the FF pages are just harder to
    > read as they take up less screen width. I know I can increase text size,
    > but that doesn't help the layout problems.
    >
    > My guess is that the web designers are unfortunately using features unique
    > to IE so FF can't display correctly, but is that all there is to it?
    >
    > A typical example is
    >
    > www.smh.com.au
    >
    >
    >
    >
     
    Larry Bevard, Mar 24, 2007
    #4
  5. Karl Engel

    Leythos Guest

    On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 01:57:25 +0000, Larry Bevard wrote:
    >
    > I maintain two different websites one for a club I belong to and another for
    > the Bible Camp I'm on the board of. I have noticed that even though I don't
    > have anything too fancy on either one, they both display differently on IE6,
    > IE7 and Firefox. often they are sometime very different on FF and no matter
    > what I do, I can't make some of it look right on FF. Alot has to do with
    > pictures on the page and how FF handles them.


    IE does not follow the W3 standards, and IE6 and IE7 are also different.
    If you want to be able to have the best of all views, use FireFox 2.x,
    Opera, IE6/7, and try testing on a Linux box.

    If you code to the web standards and not IE, and don't use Front Page, you
    stand a better chance of making pages appear mostly all the same.

    --
    Leythos
    (remove 999 for proper email address)
     
    Leythos, Mar 24, 2007
    #5
  6. Larry Bevard wrote:
    > I maintain two different websites one for a club I belong to and
    > another for the Bible Camp I'm on the board of. I have noticed that
    > even though I don't have anything too fancy on either one, they both
    > display differently on IE6, IE7 and Firefox. often they are sometime
    > very different on FF and no matter what I do, I can't make some of it
    > look right on FF. Alot has to do with pictures on the page and how FF
    > handles them.


    Sure. If you code for IE instead of the proper standards it's no
    surprise that they work best in IE.


    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
     
    Blinky the Shark, Mar 24, 2007
    #6
  7. On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 12:36:29 +1100, Karl Engel wrote:

    > A typical example is
    >
    > www.smh.com.au


    Renders fine for me in Linux Ff. try pushing ctl-minus to make the type a
    tad smaller. conrol-plus makes it bigger.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Pomona, CA * 34.074630°N 117.754195°W
    knotgary at knotdonavan dot org http : // www.donavan.org
    "The two most abundant substances in the Universe are hydrogen
    and stupidity." --Frank Zappa, R.A. Heinlein and many others
     
    Gary G. Taylor, Mar 24, 2007
    #7
  8. Gary G. Taylor wrote:
    > On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 12:36:29 +1100, Karl Engel wrote:
    >
    >> A typical example is
    >>
    >> www.smh.com.au

    >
    > Renders fine for me in Linux Ff. try pushing ctl-minus to make the type a
    > tad smaller. conrol-plus makes it bigger.


    I answered his post, as well. Then I remembered that URL from him
    coming into either alt.www.webmaster or alt.html a couplethree days ago
    asking why his site didn't work well in FF. It did. I didn't see what
    he was complaining about. I looked at several pages and the only thing
    I saw ugly was what I circled in this screen cap I posted a link to for
    him.

    http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/smh.com.au.jpg

    I'm not sure why he's still complaining. Instead of recoding to fix the
    issues *he* claims to see.


    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
     
    Blinky the Shark, Mar 24, 2007
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Paul
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    467
  2. no_one@no_where.invalid

    Cleaning C partition FFox, Tbird, Sbird

    no_one@no_where.invalid, Mar 16, 2006, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    416
    no_one@no_where.invalid
    Mar 16, 2006
  3. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    617
  4. Karl Engel

    Unwabted bookmark toolbar in FFox

    Karl Engel, Jan 22, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    379
    Old Gringo
    Jan 23, 2007
  5. thanatoid

    WHY no file extensions in FFox cache?????

    thanatoid, May 7, 2009, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    79
    Views:
    1,763
Loading...

Share This Page