ffdshow and flv files, works well

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nighthawk, Jul 27, 2007.

  1. Nighthawk

    Nighthawk Guest

    At last, something that works well. I downloaded the latest version
    of ffdshow (ffdshow-rev1371_20070723.zip - MMX version) to update my
    2004 version and installed it and now I can play flv files nicely in
    Media Player Classic and don't have to muck around with seperate FLV
    players. I also set up the file type to open MPlayerClassic by
    default.

    I recently found that VLC plays flv files, but that won't repeat but
    Media Player Classic can, an excellent all-round player.
     
    Nighthawk, Jul 27, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Nighthawk

    NR Guest

    On Jul 27, 11:39 pm, Nighthawk <> wrote:
    > At last, something that works well. I downloaded the latest version
    > of ffdshow (ffdshow-rev1371_20070723.zip - MMX version) to update my
    > 2004 version and installed it and now I can play flv files nicely in
    > Media Player Classic and don't have to muck around with seperate FLV
    > players. I also set up the file type to open MPlayerClassic by
    > default.
    >
    > I recently found that VLC plays flv files, but that won't repeat but
    > Media Player Classic can, an excellent all-round player.


    I think you'll find that mplayer will play flv files too. It has some
    good windows front ends including mpui and the fairly recent smplayer.
     
    NR, Jul 28, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Nighthawk

    sam Guest

    NR wrote:
    > On Jul 27, 11:39 pm, Nighthawk <> wrote:
    >> At last, something that works well. I downloaded the latest version
    >> of ffdshow (ffdshow-rev1371_20070723.zip - MMX version) to update my
    >> 2004 version and installed it and now I can play flv files nicely in
    >> Media Player Classic and don't have to muck around with seperate FLV
    >> players. I also set up the file type to open MPlayerClassic by
    >> default.
    >>
    >> I recently found that VLC plays flv files, but that won't repeat but
    >> Media Player Classic can, an excellent all-round player.

    >
    > I think you'll find that mplayer will play flv files too. It has some
    > good windows front ends including mpui and the fairly recent smplayer.
    >


    Miro (crossplatform) also plays flv files, and bundles codecs for just
    about everything.
    And saves and plays flv, does rss, video podcasts etc
    http://www.getmiro.com/

    It infringes software patents where applicable
     
    sam, Jul 28, 2007
    #3
  4. Nighthawk

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 10:15:03 +1200, sam wrote:

    [snip]

    > Miro (crossplatform) also plays flv files, and bundles codecs for just
    > about everything.
    > And saves and plays flv, does rss, video podcasts etc
    > http://www.getmiro.com/
    >


    Ah so that is what the democracy.rpm is all about I saw earlier to-day.

    Also note gentle reader that this programme runs everywhere, this means
    that you should give it a test drive. Note to self will take my advice
    shortly.

    The link fromm the link above viz

    http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/
    ar01s04.html

    Makes for interesting reading.
     
    Gordon, Jul 29, 2007
    #4
  5. Nighthawk

    Rob S Guest

    sam wrote:
    > NR wrote:
    >> On Jul 27, 11:39 pm, Nighthawk <> wrote:
    >>> At last, something that works well. I downloaded the latest version
    >>> of ffdshow (ffdshow-rev1371_20070723.zip - MMX version) to update my
    >>> 2004 version and installed it and now I can play flv files nicely in
    >>> Media Player Classic and don't have to muck around with seperate FLV
    >>> players. I also set up the file type to open MPlayerClassic by
    >>> default.
    >>>
    >>> I recently found that VLC plays flv files, but that won't repeat but
    >>> Media Player Classic can, an excellent all-round player.

    >>
    >> I think you'll find that mplayer will play flv files too. It has some
    >> good windows front ends including mpui and the fairly recent smplayer.
    >>

    >
    > Miro (crossplatform) also plays flv files, and bundles codecs for just
    > about everything.
    > And saves and plays flv, does rss, video podcasts etc
    > http://www.getmiro.com/
    >
    > It infringes software patents where applicable


    Warning to Ubuntu Feisty users. This is the old Democracy player
    renamed. I had lots of trouble with Democracy and I'm having major
    problems with Miro. I have followed the Feisty installation instructions
    to the letter, including editing the VideoDisplay.py file, which, btw,
    is located at
    ~/tv/platform/gtk-x11/dist/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/miro/frontend_implementation/VideoDisplay.py
    , not at
    /usr/share/python-support/democracyplayer/democracy/frontend_implementation/VideoDisplay.py
    which is the location on the
    https://develop.participatoryculture.org/trac/democracy/wiki/GTKX11BuildDocs
    page. That is because Miro installs itself in your home directory when
    you follow their instructions.

    I now have Miro finally booted and not immediately crashing, but it is
    just sitting there after loading the channel listing, chewing up large
    chunks of memory and doing nothing. Back to Songbird for me.


    --

    Rob
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    http://www.aspir8or.com
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


    Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I...
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
     
    Rob S, Jul 29, 2007
    #5
  6. Nighthawk

    sam Guest

    Rob S wrote:
    > sam wrote:
    >> NR wrote:
    >>> On Jul 27, 11:39 pm, Nighthawk <> wrote:
    >>>> At last, something that works well. I downloaded the latest version
    >>>> of ffdshow (ffdshow-rev1371_20070723.zip - MMX version) to update my
    >>>> 2004 version and installed it and now I can play flv files nicely in
    >>>> Media Player Classic and don't have to muck around with seperate FLV
    >>>> players. I also set up the file type to open MPlayerClassic by
    >>>> default.
    >>>>
    >>>> I recently found that VLC plays flv files, but that won't repeat but
    >>>> Media Player Classic can, an excellent all-round player.
    >>>
    >>> I think you'll find that mplayer will play flv files too. It has some
    >>> good windows front ends including mpui and the fairly recent smplayer.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Miro (crossplatform) also plays flv files, and bundles codecs for just
    >> about everything.
    >> And saves and plays flv, does rss, video podcasts etc
    >> http://www.getmiro.com/
    >>
    >> It infringes software patents where applicable

    >
    > Warning to Ubuntu Feisty users. This is the old Democracy player
    > renamed. I had lots of trouble with Democracy and I'm having major
    > problems with Miro. I have followed the Feisty installation instructions
    > to the letter, including editing the VideoDisplay.py file, which, btw,
    > is located at
    > ~/tv/platform/gtk-x11/dist/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/miro/frontend_implementation/VideoDisplay.py
    > , not at
    > /usr/share/python-support/democracyplayer/democracy/frontend_implementation/VideoDisplay.py
    > which is the location on the
    > https://develop.participatoryculture.org/trac/democracy/wiki/GTKX11BuildDocs
    > page. That is because Miro installs itself in your home directory when
    > you follow their instructions.
    >
    > I now have Miro finally booted and not immediately crashing, but it is
    > just sitting there after loading the channel listing, chewing up large
    > chunks of memory and doing nothing. Back to Songbird for me.
    >
    >

    That is sad.
    It seems to be running OK for me on Windows, I was hoping it would work
    on Ubuntu.
    Ah well, give it time, its pretty new.
     
    sam, Jul 29, 2007
    #6
  7. Nighthawk

    Rob S Guest

    Rob S wrote:
    nfringes software patents where applicable
    >
    > Warning to Ubuntu Feisty users. This is the old Democracy player
    > renamed. I had lots of trouble with Democracy and I'm having major
    > problems with Miro. I have followed the Feisty installation instructions
    > to the letter, including editing the VideoDisplay.py file, which, btw,
    > is located at
    > ~/tv/platform/gtk-x11/dist/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/miro/frontend_implementation/VideoDisplay.py
    > , not at
    > /usr/share/python-support/democracyplayer/democracy/frontend_implementation/VideoDisplay.py
    > which is the location on the
    > https://develop.participatoryculture.org/trac/democracy/wiki/GTKX11BuildDocs
    > page. That is because Miro installs itself in your home directory when
    > you follow their instructions.
    >
    > I now have Miro finally booted and not immediately crashing, but it is
    > just sitting there after loading the channel listing, chewing up large
    > chunks of memory and doing nothing. Back to Songbird for me.
    >
    >


    Interesting little follow-up. I went to the Miro forums, found no help
    after a thorough search, so tried signing up to post my problems.
    They sound inviting, using terms such as
    "Create an account and then post your question in the troubleshooting
    section of the forums. (also, try searching before you make a post.)" and
    "Sign up to ask a question or post a comment (Register)"

    sounds easy, doesn't it?

    So why does the register page have a form asking why you want to join,
    and why do they need to approve my application? The page I got
    redirected to after submitting my application said - "Your membership
    application will be reviewed by an administrator. If you are accepted
    for membership, you will be contacted via email."

    It will be interesting to see if I get approved. Do they want to know
    about any more problems, or are they going to stick their heads in the sand?

    I'll keep you posted on my application, and if I ever get Miro running
    properly.
    --

    Rob
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    http://www.aspir8or.com
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


    Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I...
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
     
    Rob S, Jul 29, 2007
    #7
  8. Nighthawk

    sam Guest

    Rob S wrote:
    > Rob S wrote:
    > nfringes software patents where applicable
    >>
    >> Warning to Ubuntu Feisty users. This is the old Democracy player
    >> renamed. I had lots of trouble with Democracy and I'm having major
    >> problems with Miro. I have followed the Feisty installation
    >> instructions to the letter, including editing the VideoDisplay.py
    >> file, which, btw, is located at
    >> ~/tv/platform/gtk-x11/dist/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/miro/frontend_implementation/VideoDisplay.py
    >> , not at
    >> /usr/share/python-support/democracyplayer/democracy/frontend_implementation/VideoDisplay.py
    >> which is the location on the
    >> https://develop.participatoryculture.org/trac/democracy/wiki/GTKX11BuildDocs
    >> page. That is because Miro installs itself in your home directory when
    >> you follow their instructions.
    >>
    >> I now have Miro finally booted and not immediately crashing, but it is
    >> just sitting there after loading the channel listing, chewing up large
    >> chunks of memory and doing nothing. Back to Songbird for me.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Interesting little follow-up. I went to the Miro forums, found no help
    > after a thorough search, so tried signing up to post my problems.
    > They sound inviting, using terms such as
    > "Create an account and then post your question in the troubleshooting
    > section of the forums. (also, try searching before you make a post.)" and
    > "Sign up to ask a question or post a comment (Register)"
    >
    > sounds easy, doesn't it?
    >
    > So why does the register page have a form asking why you want to join,
    > and why do they need to approve my application? The page I got
    > redirected to after submitting my application said - "Your membership
    > application will be reviewed by an administrator. If you are accepted
    > for membership, you will be contacted via email."
    >
    > It will be interesting to see if I get approved. Do they want to know
    > about any more problems, or are they going to stick their heads in the
    > sand?
    >
    > I'll keep you posted on my application, and if I ever get Miro running
    > properly.


    Thanks
    Maybe they are using a generic forum engine, being all Web 2.0 and all that.
     
    sam, Jul 29, 2007
    #8
  9. Nighthawk

    Rob S Guest

    sam wrote:
    > Rob S wrote:


    >> I'll keep you posted on my application, and if I ever get Miro running
    >> properly.

    >
    > Thanks
    > Maybe they are using a generic forum engine, being all Web 2.0 and all
    > that.


    I found a chatroom, logged in and mentioned my problems. One replied
    stating the forums were a better place so I mentioned the approval
    problem. I got a nearly immediate reply that my application has been
    approved, then an email a minute later. Excellent response from them,
    but I'm still puzzled over why they need approval on the first place.
    Maybe you are right and they haven't had time to configure their forum
    yet. I noticed a lot of their links all pointed to the getmiro page.

    I hope they find the trouble and fix it ok. Looks like a nice piece of
    software.
    --

    Rob
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    http://aspir8or.blogspot.com
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


    For evil to triumph it is only necessary for good men to buy Microsoft.
    (Seen on alt.os.linux.caldera)
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
     
    Rob S, Jul 29, 2007
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Hmmmmmmm
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    711
    Vincent Formosa
    Sep 28, 2004
  2. Adriano
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    930
    mark mandel
    Dec 15, 2003
  3. Fogar
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    702
    Erick
    Jan 17, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    ffdshow

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Aug 26, 2005, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    10,317
    Tony Sperling
    Aug 27, 2005
  5. Lookout

    Firefox temp files....like .flv files

    Lookout, Nov 24, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    2,713
    Lookout
    Nov 24, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page