    twice in a row. Any ideas?

    Thanks,

    joe
    Jowah, Mar 28, 2005

  2. Jowah wrote:
    > I am having a strange problem with firefox which has been occuring
    > through the past 2 versions. Sometimes when I start a new window and no
    > other FF windows are up, the instance will not work. All of the icons
    > will be grayed out except for home and refresh, and none of the menus
    > work. This happens about 50% to 60% of the time when I start up a fresh
    > instance of FF. Its not a big problem its just annoying because I have
    > to close the window and start another one. Occasionally it will do it
    > twice in a row. Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > joe

    To get technical, FF will not start two instances of itself. It will
    run two windows in the same instance.

    I am guessing that you may be clsoing FF and then reopening it before
    firefox.exe has had a chance to finish cleaning up after itself. When
    it closes, it will right any prefs changes to pref.js, any bookmarks
    changes to bookmarks.html, and other things.

    If you have had FF closed for a while, and you encounter the problem, go
    to Task Manager and kill any running processes of firefox.exe. Then try
    again.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Mar 28, 2005

  3. Jowah

    Jowah Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Jowah wrote:
    >
    >> I am having a strange problem with firefox which has been occuring
    >> through the past 2 versions. Sometimes when I start a new window and
    >> no other FF windows are up, the instance will not work. All of the
    >> icons will be grayed out except for home and refresh, and none of the
    >> menus work. This happens about 50% to 60% of the time when I start up
    >> a fresh instance of FF. Its not a big problem its just annoying
    >> because I have to close the window and start another one.
    >> Occasionally it will do it twice in a row. Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> joe

    > To get technical, FF will not start two instances of itself. It will
    > run two windows in the same instance.
    >
    > I am guessing that you may be clsoing FF and then reopening it before
    > firefox.exe has had a chance to finish cleaning up after itself. When
    > it closes, it will right any prefs changes to pref.js, any bookmarks
    > changes to bookmarks.html, and other things.
    >
    > If you have had FF closed for a while, and you encounter the problem, go
    > to Task Manager and kill any running processes of firefox.exe. Then try
    > again.
    >
    > Lee

    Thanks for the advice Lee. I will try that. I probably should have
    mentioned this before, but this problem happens(frequently)directly
    after starting up the pc.
    Jowah, Mar 28, 2005
  4. Jowah wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Jowah wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am having a strange problem with firefox which has been occuring
    >>> through the past 2 versions. Sometimes when I start a new window and
    >>> no other FF windows are up, the instance will not work. All of the
    >>> icons will be grayed out except for home and refresh, and none of the
    >>> menus work. This happens about 50% to 60% of the time when I start
    >>> up a fresh instance of FF. Its not a big problem its just annoying
    >>> because I have to close the window and start another one.
    >>> Occasionally it will do it twice in a row. Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> joe

    >> To get technical, FF will not start two instances of itself. It will
    >> run two windows in the same instance.
    >>
    >> I am guessing that you may be clsoing FF and then reopening it before
    >> firefox.exe has had a chance to finish cleaning up after itself. When
    >> it closes, it will right any prefs changes to pref.js, any bookmarks
    >> changes to bookmarks.html, and other things.
    >>
    >> If you have had FF closed for a while, and you encounter the problem,
    >> go to Task Manager and kill any running processes of firefox.exe.
    >> Then try again.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Thanks for the advice Lee. I will try that. I probably should have
    > mentioned this before, but this problem happens(frequently)directly
    > after starting up the pc.

    Well, that should not be happening.

    Try starting Firefox in safe mode a few times:

    Start>>Programs>>Mozilla Firefox (or Thunderbird)>>Mozilla
    Firefox/Thunderbird (Safe Mode)

    If the problem does not reappear, you may have a corrupt extension or
    theme causing the problem.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Mar 28, 2005
  5. Jowah

    Jowah Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Jowah wrote:

    >>> To get technical, FF will not start two instances of itself. It will
    >>> run two windows in the same instance.
    >>>
    >>> I am guessing that you may be clsoing FF and then reopening it before
    >>> firefox.exe has had a chance to finish cleaning up after itself.
    >>> When it closes, it will right any prefs changes to pref.js, any
    >>> bookmarks changes to bookmarks.html, and other things.
    >>>
    >>> If you have had FF closed for a while, and you encounter the problem,
    >>> go to Task Manager and kill any running processes of firefox.exe.
    >>> Then try again.
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> Thanks for the advice Lee. I will try that. I probably should have
    >> mentioned this before, but this problem happens(frequently)directly
    >> after starting up the pc.

    > Well, that should not be happening.
    >
    > Try starting Firefox in safe mode a few times:
    >
    > Start>>Programs>>Mozilla Firefox (or Thunderbird)>>Mozilla
    > Firefox/Thunderbird (Safe Mode)
    >
    > If the problem does not reappear, you may have a corrupt extension or
    > theme causing the problem.
    >
    > Lee

    Thanks again for the help Lee. Just so you know...your advice has
    helped more than a few times in the past.

    Thanks,

    Joe
    Jowah, Mar 28, 2005
  6. Jowah wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Jowah wrote:

    >>> Thanks for the advice Lee. I will try that. I probably should have
    >>> mentioned this before, but this problem happens(frequently)directly
    >>> after starting up the pc.

    >> Well, that should not be happening.
    >>
    >> Try starting Firefox in safe mode a few times:
    >>
    >> Start>>Programs>>Mozilla Firefox (or Thunderbird)>>Mozilla
    >> Firefox/Thunderbird (Safe Mode)
    >>
    >> If the problem does not reappear, you may have a corrupt extension or
    >> theme causing the problem.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Thanks again for the help Lee. Just so you know...your advice has
    > helped more than a few times in the past.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Joe

    Thank you very much for the kind words! I do appreciate it!

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Mar 28, 2005
  7. Jowah

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Jowah wrote:
    > I am having a strange problem with firefox which has been occuring
    > through the past 2 versions. Sometimes when I start a new window and no
    > other FF windows are up, the instance will not work. All of the icons
    > will be grayed out except for home and refresh, and none of the menus
    > work. This happens about 50% to 60% of the time when I start up a fresh
    > instance of FF. Its not a big problem its just annoying because I have
    > to close the window and start another one. Occasionally it will do it
    > twice in a row. Any ideas?

    I sometimes get something very similar after leaving FF open and
    minimised when I disconnect from the internet. If I restore FF
    immediately after reconnecting, that's when it happens. I believe it's
    caused by the Forecastfox extension searching for weather updates. It's
    quite possible that your problem is also caused by an extension.

    Danny Colyer, Mar 28, 2005