FF/TB Question After Changing MotherBoard + Reinstalling Win2K

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Herb, Dec 3, 2005.

  1. Herb

    Herb Guest

    This may come under the category "Leave Well Enough Alone", but I'd like
    to understand the why's and how's --

    Upgraded motherboard and had to reinstall Win2K (SP4) after having a
    Win2K problem unrelated to Firefox. Saved the FF and TB Profiles to an
    external hard drive so that I still have everything in terms of user
    profiles, bookmarks, email etc. Downloaded and installed new/latest
    versions of FF and TB.

    At: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile it says that this is
    usually the path:
    " On Windows XP/2000, the path is usually
    %AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\, where xxxxxxxx is
    a random string of 8 characters. Just browse to C:\Documents and
    Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ and the
    rest should be obvious. "

    Mine says:
    C:\ > Documents and Settings > My Username (in this case) > Application
    Data > Mozilla > Firefox > Application Data (is this string correct?

    When I use the function "Run > %AppData% ==> I get the Applications Data
    Folder
    But when I go thru Windows Explorer to create username and reestablish
    connection to FF Profile as I log in to FF to create username and
    account, I do NOT see the Applications Data folder in the menu/tree when
    I click through the folders C:\ > Documents and Settings > My Username
    (in this case) and the sub-folders after this are Cookies, Desktop,
    Favorites, My Documents and Start-up Menu.

    So, as a workaround, I dragged the previously-saved FF and TB folders
    from the external hard drive, and placed these folders immediately under
    the C-drive, and mapped this way when I went into each profile manager
    to create the new user accounts.

    Well, I now have a different path which seems to be working, so here
    are my questions:

    1) How critical is it that my FF and TB profiles reside at the
    locations noted above in the Apps Data folder?
    2) And if it is critical, why can't I get to the APPs DATA folder via
    Windows Explorer? and how do I do this?
    3) My FF and TB seem to be working fine, so assuming I can keep them
    where they are as main C-drive folders, should I be able to delete all
    the Mozilla stuff under the APPS FOLDER, which I only see when I go RUN
    > %AppData% ??

    Feel free to email me directly.

    Herb, Dec 3, 2005

  2. Herb

    Doug G Guest

    Herb wrote:
    > This may come under the category "Leave Well Enough Alone", but I'd like
    > to understand the why's and how's --
    >
    > Upgraded motherboard and had to reinstall Win2K (SP4) after having a
    > Win2K problem unrelated to Firefox. Saved the FF and TB Profiles to an
    > external hard drive so that I still have everything in terms of user
    > profiles, bookmarks, email etc. Downloaded and installed new/latest
    > versions of FF and TB.
    >
    > At: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile it says that this is
    > usually the path:
    > " On Windows XP/2000, the path is usually
    > %AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\, where xxxxxxxx is
    > a random string of 8 characters. Just browse to C:\Documents and
    > Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ and the
    > rest should be obvious. "
    >
    > Mine says:
    > C:\ > Documents and Settings > My Username (in this case) > Application
    > Data > Mozilla > Firefox > Application Data (is this string correct?
    >
    > When I use the function "Run > %AppData% ==> I get the Applications Data
    > Folder
    > But when I go thru Windows Explorer to create username and reestablish
    > connection to FF Profile as I log in to FF to create username and
    > account, I do NOT see the Applications Data folder in the menu/tree when
    > I click through the folders C:\ > Documents and Settings > My Username
    > (in this case) and the sub-folders after this are Cookies, Desktop,
    > Favorites, My Documents and Start-up Menu.
    >
    > So, as a workaround, I dragged the previously-saved FF and TB folders
    > from the external hard drive, and placed these folders immediately under
    > the C-drive, and mapped this way when I went into each profile manager
    > to create the new user accounts.
    >
    > Well, I now have a different path which seems to be working, so here
    > are my questions:
    >
    > 1) How critical is it that my FF and TB profiles reside at the
    > locations noted above in the Apps Data folder?
    > 2) And if it is critical, why can't I get to the APPs DATA folder via
    > Windows Explorer? and how do I do this?
    > 3) My FF and TB seem to be working fine, so assuming I can keep them
    > where they are as main C-drive folders, should I be able to delete all
    > the Mozilla stuff under the APPS FOLDER, which I only see when I go RUN
    > > %AppData% ??

    > Feel free to email me directly.

    Windows hides the "Application Data" folder until told not to, see
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/tips/personalize/hiddenfiles.asp

    As long as their profile managers know where they are located, Firefox
    and Thunderbird don't care where their profiles are. Mine are in
    E:\Mozilla\Users\.

    Doug G, Dec 3, 2005